IGNORED

New Aphex Twin Album Due This Year

Joyrex

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

that cookie looks delicious

all advertising magic, its really dried cat shit encased within dried dog shit...

the cookie does not exist

it is actually spyware for the brain.

Well, way back in 02-03 when SPD and I were looking into bringing him to the States, I think we were quoted 18K (USD) for his fees alone, not including hotel, food, travel, and entertainment...

Oh, and as far as I have heard, it WILL be this year - although I was initially told much sooner than this...

Wonder what would be the entertainment

A friend of mines relative was in a band that did support for Aphex in some random place (can't remember although I'll ask him and edit it in later), he said that Rich ordered the most random things backstage. For example toast and marmalade (I have been told), he also claims that Rich doesn't fully remember making Windowlicker or Come To Daddy (again I took all this with a pinch of salt, however the being unable to remember thing might be true as Rich claimed in interviews that he both limited/broke up his sleep for lucidity and is well known for claiming he sleeps beside his studio so he can crawl out of bed to make music. It doesn't seem too far fetched to imagine that he can't remember getting up at half three in the morning to make Windowlicker. Then again it could all be bullshit)

even with normal sleep try remembering how you made a track 10 years ago

The impression I was given implied that it was a fairly long time ago, so it would have only been a few years at most I think. Even then, Rich says that making music is a disciplined art (which is why he apparently doesn't get stoned whilst doing it) to craft something like Windowlicker wouldn't exactly be something you'd forget quickly I don't think (nor the reaction afterwards. If I recall in an interview he stopped production of Windowlicker discs in June and July of its release (shortly after??) so it didn't hit the charts, I think you'd have a fair chance of remembering that incident.

fucking round with sequencers and synths you could forget but sampling stuff and messing with embedded menus and computers to get the samples the right length etc takes some mental clarity. It sounds like something he would say though.

what I mean is, you can remember doing a bunch of edits in protools, did something with this sample that came from one of those pic-to-sound programs, sang the melody at first, whatever, but still kind of just have those as vague disconnected impressions that don't add up to the whole process of how you made it. plus if he has as much unreleased stuff as he says then he probably did those same kinds of things on every song that year.

Im amazed there is so much money in playing shows.

that's beacause people are willing to pay through the nose to see some ginger wanker stare at his laptop for an hour.

Wrong answer

The impression I was given implied that it was a fairly long time ago, so it would have only been a few years at most I think. Even then, Rich says that making music is a disciplined art (which is why he apparently doesn't get stoned whilst doing it) to craft something like Windowlicker wouldn't exactly be something you'd forget quickly I don't think (nor the reaction afterwards. If I recall in an interview he stopped production of Windowlicker discs in June and July of its release (shortly after??) so it didn't hit the charts, I think you'd have a fair chance of remembering that incident.

That whole thing about stopping disc production in order for it not to chart is total bullshit, as Richard doesn't have control over pressing amounts, etc. (at least on WARP), nor would he care - he gets his fat advance, and laughs all the way home (to the bank). I even recall my Warner/Sire Records (US) contact saying that they were on their 3rd pressing of Windowlicker already and this was 2 months after it came out in April of 99. I don't recall how many per pressing were done, though.

That whole thing about stopping disc production in order for it not to chart is total bullshit, as Richard doesn't have control over pressing amounts, etc. (at least on WARP), nor would he care - he gets his fat advance, and laughs all the way home (to the bank). I even recall my Warner/Sire Records (US) contact saying that they were on their 3rd pressing of Windowlicker already and this was 2 months after it came out in April of 99. I don't recall how many per pressing were done, though.

Aah well that clears that up then :D

Archived