IGNORED

New Aphex Twin Album Due This Year

Joyrex

Well, can you imagine RDJ doing hard edge acid and good tripy stuff in 20 years. No. Getting more serious and working harder on the musical form of it all is, however, a way of creativeness into older age. Works with painters... Anyway there's nothing sadder to me than a ages rocker, that thinks he can still rock.

just fucking what?

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling the next (Aphex Twin) album he puts out will be more varied than anything he's released before. He's older, and with age comes more variety. I also expect it to have more crossover potential and to be his best selling release to date.

No silly multi-page nonsense posts.

You can speculate about the new album, but please don't get OT too much like what happened on the other thread.

Predictable

I think the evidence that everybody has copied Analord is scant to non-existent,

we can argue all day if aphex cares whether a bunch of analord clones are coming out right now but seriously the evidence that people are copying analord is all over the place. take a peak over at the latest creations forum of this board. I mean i even heard like 10 Tuss clones on myspace alone come out the 6 months following Rushup Edge.. did i imagine this? Most of the analord followers have a very hard time even matching the style on the actual LP, with the exception of Impakt and EOD (two artists also on this board) but what analord did was open the door for a total resurgence of primarily 303 based music. In my very strong opinion you would not be seeing such an obsession with Ceephax or even release like Syntheme's newest on Mu if it had not been for Analord.

I'm pretty confident at this point it would be very hard for a new RDJ release to have as vast as an influence as RDJ album and Hangable autobulb had, but to argue that his influence is now zero or none in the world of electronic music is absolutely false. If you mean like club based commercial electronic music sure that makes some sense, but i'd say the majority of people who are actually passionate about electronic music dont even listen to that shit, most of the people club music is made for are transient party goers who could care less about how the music was made.

I think its the other way around. I remember ceephax was out before analord and rich mentioned he loved him. Maybe ceephax got him back into doing pure analog stuff

Guest bunty

Umm... I don't think anybody was arguing that RDJ's influence is zero or none (what's the difference?), just that your claim was vastly overstated, and probably influenced by rabid fanboyism.

Something tells me that checking out the music made by users of these boards for evidence that everybody is copying Analord would produce something of a skewed result. If you'd said everybody on WATMM was copying Analord, you might have had a leg to stand on, although I'm not sure if Aphex spends much time checking out WATMM users' Myspace pages.

I think maybe you should read what you wrote again, as what you're saying now doesn't really back it up.

although I'm not sure if Aphex spends much time checking out WATMM users' Myspace pages.

I'm 100% sure that he has at least checked a few... have you heard of Wisp, the recent rephlex signing? To my knowledge it was aphex hearing the song 'teddy oggy' on his myspace page that initiated a conversation about bringing him on the label. The song by Wisp he would admit was made to sound like the Tuss, in fact a lot of listeners of Rushup edge were disappointed Teddy Oggie did not appear on the final album. :embrassed:

APhex twin im sure doesn't spend too much time to fuck around on message boards and myspace pages but to say that he hasn't checked out the 'handful'(for the sake of argument since you refuse to believe me) of myspace pages and watmm clones (or is aware of this internet phenomenon of new afx style clones), implies he is completely immune to curiosity about people trying to follow in the Tuss and Anloard footsteps which imo would be elevating him to some sort of samadhi emotionless status. The guy is human.

and probably influenced by rabid fanboyism.

So i guess you and i are both guilty of deifying him but on polar opposite sides of the spectrum! :beer:

I think its the other way around. I remember ceephax was out before analord and rich mentioned he loved him. Maybe ceephax got him back into doing pure analog stuff

yeah this is what i gathered as well, before analord ceephax was being heavily praised by Aphex twin. For me personally i didn't hear very much Ceephax praise previous to analord coming out from the electronic music community. I think it made people appreciate a lot more what the groundwork that andy jenkinson had done, able to see it in a new light.

Guest uelogy

yeh but i mean, all this talk about ceephax is a little skewed - rich and tom are like long time mates... Ceephax maybe/and shows, probs was all like 'im getting right serious now' - and rich (although the 'phax is awesome) was probably name dropping to help his good mates bro... no?

OK, I had to remove 13 posts that had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic - seriously, unless you are going to contribute meaningfully, don't bother.

Guest Renivatio

:abitofftopic:

Since Richard got Reid into Rephlex, I remembr when I read an interview somewhere that Aaron Funk listened to Wisp's stuffs and helped him into Sublight and Hymen.

yeh, I'm quite sure that Andy as Tom's brothr help'd his status too

I'm 100% sure that he has at least checked a few... have you heard of Wisp, the recent rephlex signing? To my knowledge it was aphex hearing the song 'teddy oggy' on his myspace page that initiated a conversation about bringing him on the label. The song by Wisp he would admit was made to sound like the Tuss, in fact a lot of listeners of Rushup edge were disappointed Teddy Oggie did not appear on the final album. :embrassed:

Is that really how it happened? How did he know it was wisp? And I know he was familiar with wisp's stuff beforehand (playing his SAWII remix stuff live, and I think some other stuff), but did that just push him over the edge in realizing wisp's greatness?

Guest catsonearth

honestly i don't really care what style it is, i just want to hear what he does next. the analord eps were great, but i dunno...i kinda preferred some of the ripoffs more (EOD and impakt shout out!). i still consider drukqs to be his last true release. i'd like to hear what progressed out of that sound, but i'll probably be happy with whatever he puts out.

Since Richard got Reid into Rephlex, I remembr when I read an interview somewhere that Aaron Funk listened to Wisp's stuffs and helped him into Sublight and Hymen.

Richard is Rephlex though, isn't he kind of?

the analord eps were great, but i dunno...i kinda preferred some of the ripoffs more (EOD and impakt shout out!). i still consider drukqs to be his last true release.

couldn't disagree more with you. fuck the fluffy idm

Guest Renivatio

Richard is Rephlex though, isn't he kind of?

lol yeh. :embrassed:

couldn't disagree more with you. fuck the fluffy idm

lol "fluffy idm"

Guest Glass Plate
Well, can you imagine RDJ doing hard edge acid and good tripy stuff in 20 years. No. Getting more serious and working harder on the musical form of it all is, however, a way of creativeness into older age. Works with painters... Anyway there's nothing sadder to me than a ages rocker, that thinks he can still rock.

Courbet was really important to painting when he started and he got better and better, but after he jumped the gun with the painting of himself painting he pretty much quit and only painted landscapes and flowers after that.

Are you saying aphex is going to stop and give us a SAW3-15 that isn't innovative but great to chill to? That'd be great any how. (unlike courbet's later stuff)

Archived