IGNORED

'The Wild Bull' by Morton Subotnick

awepittance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Glass Plate

well I mostly played it to people who previously only listened to classical etc. so it was a good understanding of how electronic music is more than 4/4 bd's.

Guest AOOproductions

i wonder how they got a studio to sign them and then print all those albums. It must have sounded so fucked! And I wonder how many records it sold? It had to of done decently well for an independent release considering they were around for a while.

Guest spraaaa

some old(ish) dude in a record store told me he'd seen subotnick perform once way back in the day using something he called a "ghost box" to manipulate the sounds of other instruments. people were probably just curious about this stuff, probably didn't know what the fuck most of it was, and it was the 60s/70s... he's weirder than jarre or wendy carlos but i can imagine the same kinds of people would take an interest in this. plus, looking at the box, this was recorded in new york and they had the whole loft performance going on with people like la monte young etc... and it had psychadelic visuals "continuously changing visual compositions" man!

Guest Abuse

Bit too avantgarde for my taste but yes, this is pretty interesting stuff. Some parts, those idm bursts, sound EXACTLY like Richard Devine.

Guest Betty

Apparently Don Buchla first started designing modular synthesis systems in response to the ideas that Morton Subotnick had about what electronic instruments should be able to do.

Apparently Don Buchla first started designing modular synthesis systems in response to the ideas that Morton Subotnick had about what electronic instruments should be able to do.

yes there were some other people involved too but their names escape me

yes there were some other people involved too but their names escape me

i believe they were:

anselm breasteen

bronly oliancer

bifvgy stevenz

and

sronro arnkinbilides

the last dude also invented "synthesis" as created by bob moog, and, if i'm not mistaken,* beverly hills cop was named after him? i think???

*i am mistaken

Guest Glass Plate

Ilhan Mimaroglu is a really good early electronics composer. just thought I'd throw that out there since I just got into him..

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I bought the cd with this and silver apples of the moon on it because of this thread. it's pure class.

Guest spraaaa

i think i'm gonna listen again in mono, has some really cool ideas but none of them involve the reverb

Guest Glass Plate

has any one here had him as a teacher? He's been teaching at Cal Arts for a long time so I thought it was very plausible. I don't know how good of a teacher he'd really be though, I definitely think I'd be ok. Making this music now wouldn't be nearly as progressive or interesting.

has any one here had him as a teacher? He's been teaching at Cal Arts for a long time so I thought it was very plausible. I don't know how good of a teacher he'd really be though, I definitely think I'd be ok. Making this music now wouldn't be nearly as progressive or interesting.

i know several people who had him as a teacher that claimed he was an asshole with a gigantic ego

anecdotal story and i don't know these people too well

Thanks for reminding me of this (the Wild Bull).

Randomly downloaded it months ago and it's been sitting unplayed in my itunes ever since.

Cheers!

ae's fave electronic composer of that era? I always thought it was permegiani.....?

(Wild bull's five minutes in now though and it's pretty fucking sweet.)

• 4 weeks later...
Some parts, those idm bursts, sound EXACTLY like Richard Devine.

(...interview with Devine)

At the same time, Devine discovered the music of Morton Subotnick and Karlheinz Stockhausen. “This was the main turning point in my musical explorations,” he says. “Morton Subotnick was the first composer to influence me to use analog modular synthesizers. Particularly, his main works such as ‘Sidewinder, The Wild Bull and Silver Apples of the Moon,’ where he used Donald Buchla’s modular electronic music systems at San Francisco Tape Music Center.“I saw Subotnick’s work as completely dynamic, and futuristic,” he adds. “He was creating sonic timbre environments that were completely interchangeable and complex. After hearing his work I began buying rare analog modular synthesizers and cataloging sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

hey thats my vid :-) i just sold the serge above to buy more buchla

you have to love the early pioneers, subotnik, cage, tudor, xenakis, stockhausen, pierre henry,parmegiani, jepson etc etc

if you guys are into autechre you really shouldnt have problems listening to the pioneers.

i will miss the serge but i have an ems synthi aks, euro modular and expanded buchla 200e system with 2x 258v etc to keep me busy, plus i am, going to build a serge clone

Archived