IGNORED

what bank do you use?

Guest zaphod

overdrafts by college students are admittedly how banks make money, and it does tend to be the fault of the customer for not managing their money well. but i know from personal experience how hard that can be to do when you aren't making enough to cover rent and pay for school, etc. i had some issues with them not too long ago and the customer service on their end was so poor that i've had to reconsider continuing to do business at their bank. although i now make enough money to not really have to worry about going down to the line every time i get paid, but still, it's irritating when you have no sense of commitment to the customer from the company's end.

Yeah, I agree completely about overdrafts, though in my case I have legitimate beef with wachovia because what they did bordered on being criminal.

So my account ran low and when I went to go make an atm withdrawal it tapped into the overdraft - no big deal - except I didn't know about it because nowhere on the receipt would it give you any indication of being in overdraft. Don't know if o/d still work like this, but as soon as your balance drops below 0, it injects $200 into your account (and of course, starts the interest rolling on it). So say I went to withdraw $60 (meanwhile only having $40 in my checking), I'd get a receipt saying I had a current balance of $180. Sweet!

Later I get my actual statement and realize what happened, and once I came into the funds I obviously moved to clear up that shit pronto. It would be reasonable to think that if you were to deposit funds to cover the o/d, that the o/d would close, but not so with wachovia. The deposited money just went straight to my checking account, and the overdraft (which by this time was up to $600) remained active, accruing (and compounding) interest at those lovely overdraft interest rates. Again, I have no idea this bullshit was happening until I get my next statement.

This is before the days of internet banking, so I proceeded on down to my local wachovia branch to settle shit, and the first thing I ask is why the fuck is my $600 o/d still open if I have well over $600 in my account. They gave me some bullshit story about how this can't be done automatically, and that I need to see a customer service rep in order to cover the overdraft, etc. Fucking a I was livid. At this point I said (a) fuck you (b) fuck your bank © close my account and give me my money back now.

And yeah, I know, stupid college kids getting taken advantage of, but whatever, even back then I was one of the most responsible people with money you'd be likely to meet (I just paid for my Master's degree myself, upfront, no loans). So going back to my original statement, fuck Wachovia, they're a bunch of thieves. I'm sure the situation is no different at a lot of other banks, so kids, make like wu-tang and protect ya neck.

Was a WaMuer, now I'm with Chase - will stay with them until they start charging me fees for silly things like having an account with an average balance below 3000.00 or some shit like they tried to pull with me back in the 90's.

Guest zaphod
i've had wachovia for years, actually i'm quite fond of them; it sounds like you're looking for a good savings account, though?

i'm looking for a high interest (whatever that means at this point) checking account. i've got a savings account with wachovia but i'll probably switch that over to ing. although i'm open to suggestions on that front...

Guest assegai
<Cthon98> hey, if you type in your pw, it will show as stars
<Cthon98> ********* see!
<AzureDiamond> hunter2
<AzureDiamond> doesnt look like stars to me
<Cthon98> <AzureDiamond> *******
<Cthon98> thats what I see
<AzureDiamond> oh, really?
<Cthon98> Absolutely
<AzureDiamond> you can go hunter2 my hunter2-ing hunter2
<AzureDiamond> haha, does that look funny to you?
<Cthon98> lol, yes. See, when YOU type hunter2, it shows to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> thats neat, I didnt know IRC did that
<Cthon98> yep, no matter how many times you type hunter2, it will show to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> awesome!
<AzureDiamond> wait, how do you know my pw?
<Cthon98> er, I just copy pasted YOUR ******'s and it appears to YOU as hunter2 cause its your pw
<AzureDiamond> oh, ok.

i've had wachovia for years, actually i'm quite fond of them; it sounds like you're looking for a good savings account, though?

i'm looking for a high interest (whatever that means at this point) checking account. i've got a savings account with wachovia but i'll probably switch that over to ing. although i'm open to suggestions on that front...

ah! then allow me to recommend using one of those "compare interest rates" sites; i used this last year, joined ing, but now they have a very low rate, so just pick any of the various banks that now have a higher rate. if switching often seems like too much trouble, then i'd definitely recommend ing.

Archived