IGNORED

Music poll No. 1

Guest boo

Basic aspects of music  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Select the things you find the most important to you or you are most aware of

• Melody
    • Harmony
    • Rhythm
    • Form/structure
    • Timbre/tone colour
    • Intensity/dynamics/articulation
    • Texture
    • Style
    • Aesthetics/Mood

Guest boo

I was gonna make a huge poll with sections for every single thing related to music, but there's a lot of stuff, so i'm doing it in installments. then the winner from each poll will compete in a final poll.

Not much point to it, just curious.

Guest tv_party

I think a better poll would be where they could all be ordered according to each individuals preference if that's possible.

Those are all things that are very important to me, so yeah I checked everything. For instance some music I like purely for the textures and tones/timbres, then there's other music that's just really well composed music that has little to do with either of those things. I'm a bit surprised that texture and rhythm are the MOST important qualities of music to most people so far... though I guess that makes a lot of sense on a forum dedicated to experimental electronic music. I mean, I do love Autechre, but applied to music as a whole I don't tend to find those elements all that vital to good music/good listening experience.

Guest Adjective

texture / rhythm / melody

in order of what i notice in the first few seconds

i guess that's the face of a song for me and everything else is what's beneath the eyes that hurts and moves you

Guest melotronic

nice idea

voted all except harmony, simply cos i didnt want to vote for them all

Guest chax

there is so much to get into discussion here..i am sure i will have a thoughtful response in like 2-3 hours if i don't forget, i should write this down somewhere i can see it

Guest boo
Emotion.

Aesthetics/Mood

but a poll later in the series will have more emotion-related options

Guest A/D

i inhale the music deeply into the back of my throat and then blow little hearts up to the ceiling

I was going to check everything, but I just checked melody. That's my #1.

This would be true of me too. But at the same time there's a lot of music I love that is not melodically driven. And there are artists I really admire who don't necessarily have the greatest melodies, but everything else about them is great. A top notch melody is still like the holy grail that I'd most want to attain when writing music, though when I approach electronic music it becomes a less important element to me... I'm on the fence on this one.

Archived