IGNORED

Norm MacDonald

six

the podcast only worked when the guests had a love and respect for norm himself. spade, Sandler, saget- normally people I hate but they show up for norm and are off the cuff and charming and funny. the third season episodes with Margaret cho and Tyson were unwatchable. Not holding out hope for the Netflix

I think Margaret Cho and the really old guy one are the ones I didn't really like. Otherwise they were at least enjoyable, for me anyway. I find it remarkable that Margaret Cho could ever be considered a comedian.

awful show btw. maybe it's just the shitty guests but it really is uninteresting and uninspired.

I haven't watched it yet, but the intention is to be shambolic. The guests aren't even supposed to know when the recording has begun. Did you ever watch Norm MacDonald Live?

no, but i think i get his thing. i watched his latest standup special just recently and liked it quite a bit.

but the show is just humorless, its shambolic nature feels contrived. he doesn't get many chances to spike the ramblings of his dull guests with his stuff. his sidekick is just irritating.

that interview made me angry irl

Ironically Joy and Whoopi are really fair and sympathetic - it made it very awkward but it was damn sincere on their part. Norm seems pretty goddamn apologetic, remorseful, and above all else lost. 

Norm was so lost in that interview because he has no idea what to do. No one does really. Take Fallon for instance - he cancelled Norm because his some of his longtime writers were upset at Norm...and yet these are likely the same writers who stood by Fallon having Trump on for a softball interview in 2016.

It's the arbitrary and haphazard application of standards that makes me frustrated, angry, saddened. I don't have a dog in the fight, the whole SJW vs anti-PC crowd as a tribal divide is in itself bullshit, and the appealing aspect of Norm was he was this goofy outlier to that whole divide. He had a niche crowd and was far detached from any power or influence wielded by far louder people on social media. This is why I don't go on twitter anymore. This is why I treat insta and FB as non-sociopolitical photo galleries and hobby forums. Otherwise you open yourself up to be publicly shamed.

i was talking about the other interview someone mentioned

oops, which one?

https://news.avclub.com/norm-macdonald-finally-gets-it-right-in-the-apology-for-1829030931

All in all, it was a more thoughtful, reasoned statement from somebody who is frankly probably not used to having to worry about such things during interviews, given his normal topics of discussion, and probably engendered some positive conversations. Ironically, all this came just a week or so after a moving New York Times Magazine profile of the comic in which he opens up about having difficulty changing with the times, and learning lessons from his son about the value in not trying to dig in your heels and get all reactionary about sensitive political topics you may not fully understand. “It’s always bad when you have to apologize for the apology,” he said during that View appearance, finally reminding everyone of the comedian they found so charming in the first place.

Norm Macdonald has had the kind of week that makes publicists find a back-alley doctor to supply them with a triple prescription of Xanax.

Seems a bit insensitive to people with Xanax addictions. 

/s

^ norm seemed kind of "off" in that one imo, like in the last season of the podcast. oddly enough i thought he was a lot funnier in the second episode. hopefully the rest is like that

Norm Macdonald has had the kind of week that makes publicists find a back-alley doctor to supply them with a triple prescription of Xanax.

Seems a bit insensitive to people with Xanax addictions.

obviously if NORM said that it would be 'another tone deaf, embarrassingly ignorant remark that demonstrates macdonald's insensitivity to the current comedic landscape'

Edited by Guest

My first thought when I saw this thread up at the top of gen ban was "oh shit who did norm rape?"  Glad it was just some misconstrued comments that don't actually matter.

And I watched the first couple eps of the netflix show last night.  It was the usual mix of entertaining/banal that his talkshow always has been.  Some great bits, some boring.  Pretty much everything a talkshow is going to be, difference being I actually like Norm and the way he interacts with people.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

Watched through this at the weekend and liked it but I pined for NML. The new show is too short, not shabby enough and Norm is perhaps too sincere. I much prefer the NML format of him inflicting himself on his guests with Adam Eget sitting there being useless and shitty. You were never 100% of what level of reality Norm was operating on in NML.

• 2 years later...