IGNORED

Clark - Totems Flare

o00o

WARPCD185_Packshot_480.jpg

Chris Clark returns with the much anticipated follow up to 'Body Riddle' & 'Turning Dragon' with "Totems Flare", out 13th July 2009. 'Totems Flare' will be sure to blow your mind, an album that his last EP 'Growl's Garden' only hinted at, in terms of potential.

Eight years, five albums, untold EP tracks and stints living in Brighton, Birmingham and Berlin later, Clark's sound is more developed than ever - Totems Flare is an elegant meeting of past and present sounds.

Chris sees Body Riddle (2006), Turning Dragon (2008) and Totems Flare (2009) as forming a “trilogy”. These albums have seen a steady and clear progression, from the baroque melodics of 'Body Riddle' through the hard techno drive of 'Turning Dragon' to 'Totems Flare', which combines the key qualities of both into yet another huge leap forward.

The increase in ambition, scale and panache of 'Totems Flare' is as big as that which 'Body Riddle' represented, and early reactions suggest the public response could be at least as significant. And, vitally, this further leap forward came naturally.

“The only hard thing with this album,” says Chris, “was selecting the tracks: I've got so many that it was a constant process of editing and chiselling down the structure until it was completely watertight. I've got enough tracks..... I could stop writing new tunes for the next three years if I wanted to, but I can't resist it....I'm already gone off on another plane. T'will be interesting melding this with the new Totem live show.”

Standby for more info and previews to follow soon!

http://warp.net/records/clark/new-album-to...-13th-july-2009

Digital Tracklisting

Tracklist

01 - Outside Plume (04.21)

02 - Growls Garden (04.59)

03 - Rainbow Voodoo (04.36)

04 - Look Into The Heart Now (04.02)

05 - Luxman Furs (04.08)

06 - Totem Crackerjack (05.21)

07 - Future Daniel (04.09)

08 - Primary Balloon Landing (01.17)

09 - Talis (03.07)

10 - Suns Of Temper (05.40)

11 - Absence (03.10)

http://warp.net/records/releases/clark/totems-flare/

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

sweet! still not convinced Turning Dragon is all that great, but growl's garden was awesome stuff.

Guest arbee

nice, I like the cover art ! I'm not clark's #1 fan but I still play Body Riddle quite a lot. will check this.

Guest bitroast

man this is gonna sound picky, but i dont like the little falling 'empty' dude on their foreheads.

I think Clark is one the best new electronic artists of this decade, he has a few spotty songs here and there, but his sound is fresh and I have been pretty obsessive over it the past year or so. He is a bit like Squarepusher in the sense that his releases typically have some shit on them, but always have amazing highlights as well.

A mixture of Body and Turning?! Sounds awesome, love both releases

he played new stuff at Warp20.

more vocals? :E

even though i like his instrumental tracks more, this is pretty catchy

I wish he did more stuff like Kin Griff, Urgent Jell Hack and the Milanese - Mr Bad News remix

Hmpfff.... Don't really like that cover neither.... Matt burden did that one too ? I hope not....

Looks like a cheesy fallout rip off, without the funny part of it

( I'm not talking about the horrible fallout 3, even if the art style is the same, but of the true first ones)

Hey, when about redoing this cover and send all of our wonderfull art to warp before the lunch of the album ?

Hmpfff.... Don't really like that cover neither.... Matt burden did that one too ? I hope not....

Looks like a cheesy fallout rip off, without the funny part of it

( I'm not talking about the horrible fallout 3, even if the art style is the same, but of the true first ones)

Hey, when about redoing this cover and send all of our wonderfull art to warp before the lunch of the album ?

i like this cover but that idea sounds fun. ill play.

Guest Glass Plate

they main part about the imagery is the obsession with the falling body, that's pretty stupid.

I'm very excited for this release though.

Opening track 'Outside Bloom' is all ominous drone to begin with before going down a warped dubstep route, only for plangent, de-tuned raved chords and scuffed breakbeats to enter the mix, deliberately recalling classic early 90s warp fare from AFX and Forgemasters.

'Rainbow Voodoo' is a misguided gabba-pop monstrosity that kind of devalues all the other tracks on the album, but all is forgotten and forgiven by the time we hit the sublime, washed-out techno-funk of 'Look Into The Heart Now'. 'Luxman Furs' is pitched somewhere between Zomby gloop-step and juddering Alkan-friendly electro-trance. The half-baked Squarepusherism of Track 6 we can live without. Beatless track 'Primary Balloon Landing' recalls the best of Kevin Drumm and William Basinski (no mean feat) and we currently can't get enough of closing track 'Absence''s Vini Reilly-in-space guitar ambience.

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?op...0&Itemid=26

dubstep? gabba-pop? electro-trance? LOL

anyone got the promo btw?

Archived