IGNORED

Clark - Totems Flare

o00o

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Opening track 'Outside Bloom' is all ominous drone to begin with before going down a warped dubstep route, only for plangent, de-tuned raved chords and scuffed breakbeats to enter the mix, deliberately recalling classic early 90s warp fare from AFX and Forgemasters.

'Rainbow Voodoo' is a misguided gabba-pop monstrosity that kind of devalues all the other tracks on the album, but all is forgotten and forgiven by the time we hit the sublime, washed-out techno-funk of 'Look Into The Heart Now'. 'Luxman Furs' is pitched somewhere between Zomby gloop-step and juddering Alkan-friendly electro-trance. The half-baked Squarepusherism of Track 6 we can live without. Beatless track 'Primary Balloon Landing' recalls the best of Kevin Drumm and William Basinski (no mean feat) and we currently can't get enough of closing track 'Absence''s Vini Reilly-in-space guitar ambience.

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?op...0&Itemid=26

dubstep? gabba-pop? electro-trance? LOL

anyone got the promo btw?

that review went straight over my head. im really excited for this though. dafuck is Zomby gloop-step and juddering Alkan-friendly electro-trance?

Opening track 'Outside Bloom' is all ominous drone to begin with before going down a warped dubstep route, only for plangent, de-tuned raved chords and scuffed breakbeats to enter the mix, deliberately recalling classic early 90s warp fare from AFX and Forgemasters.

'Rainbow Voodoo' is a misguided gabba-pop monstrosity that kind of devalues all the other tracks on the album, but all is forgotten and forgiven by the time we hit the sublime, washed-out techno-funk of 'Look Into The Heart Now'. 'Luxman Furs' is pitched somewhere between Zomby gloop-step and juddering Alkan-friendly electro-trance. The half-baked Squarepusherism of Track 6 we can live without. Beatless track 'Primary Balloon Landing' recalls the best of Kevin Drumm and William Basinski (no mean feat) and we currently can't get enough of closing track 'Absence''s Vini Reilly-in-space guitar ambience.

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?op...0&Itemid=26

dubstep? gabba-pop? electro-trance? LOL

anyone got the promo btw?

that review went straight over my head. im really excited for this though. dafuck is Zomby gloop-step and juddering Alkan-friendly electro-trance?

Zomby <- dubstep producer

Erol Alkan <- DJ who plays "electro"

Guest Grizz

Poor Clark doesn't even get to headline his own album release launch. If I wasn't going to a wedding that day I'd have probably gone

Guest Glass Plate

lol and luke vibert djing on a laptop is better than Exile doing original material with AV stuff.

Amusingly the falling man appears to have disappeared from the couples foreheads on the artwork on the Warp site. If The half-baked Squarepusherism of Track 6 is anything like the 2 fierce jungle style tracks he played at Bloc then I'll be quite happy. I wouldn't expect that sort of material to make it onto an album but it was seriously good and I want to be able hear it whenever I feel like it. Extremely looking forward to this release none the less.

Amusingly the falling man appears to have disappeared from the couples foreheads on the artwork on the Warp site.

lol i didn't notice

totemsflare2.jpgtotemsflare.jpg

the clouds are a bit different aswell

fucking gay foreheads

did warp read this?

Guest maddestmax

i also felt the falling man was a tad too much. it also wasn't done very well, kinda looked like a test too see what it looked like, just slapped on in photoshop without putting it in the right perspective on the womans head, not the same gritty texture etc.

i wouldn't have noticed the cloud difference, it's very subtle. very good eye there beariksson.

the album title is bit larger also.

i like the new version much better as i am also very picky with details of my own grafik works.

matt burden seems to be working the same way as whoever is doing the jega cover. this kind of showing and reacting to what people think is a very interesting way to approach the artwork.

I like the falling man.

me too, but this cover looks better without it

i wouldn't mind the falling man if the artist just hit the 'multiply' on the layers of each man in photoshop to make them blend a little better with the noisy photo. i really love the blacked out eyes on the guy. i wonder if that photo is from the same series as the kid on the growls garden cover. i like it though. very amped for this release. has any of clark's stuff ever leaked? also, since this is the third record in his self-proclaimed trilogy, i wonder if he will alter his production techniques after this...

Guest Enter a new display name

That "trilogy" thing is just a pretext for releasing a third album within a short period of time. There is absolutely no connection between Body Riddle and Turning Dragon (except for the compression) and Clark officially died since Turning Dragon. He should take his time between each album again, like he did between Clarence Park, Empty The Bones Of You and Body Riddle, which were all genius works. We all know that he has gone downhill.

That "trilogy" thing is just a pretext for releasing a third album within a short period of time. There is absolutely no connection between Body Riddle and Turning Dragon (except for the compression) and Clark officially died since Turning Dragon. He should take his time between each album again, like he did between Clarence Park, Empty The Bones Of You and Body Riddle, which were all genius works. We all know that he has gone downhill.

I'm sorry but I am going to have to completely disagree with this. Body Riddle was definitely his finest work, but I listen to certain tracks on Turning Dragon much more. I can buy the trilogy concept because all three bodies of work use the distortion style, with TD being more techno focused and BR being more ambient/idm focused.

This next one is apparently a combination of both.

After this he'll probably move onto something entirely new.

Guest bitroast

you havent heard the album yet.. i agree that turning dragon was downhill but i also know a lot of people dig it. growls garden was good. i have hope :)

Yeah Body Riddle was a masterpiece that hasn't been matched by him or anyone else since. Given that I hate Growl's Garden in its lack of substance, I'm not sure all of this record will fly with me, but tracks like that one played at warp20 give me goosebumps, so it will probably be one of those albums where I start listening to tracks I don't like and eventually like them.

I hated Turning Dragon pretty much when it first came out. But over a year of off and on listening, I've grown to love it. I actually think that its a masterpiece in the context of what he was trying to accomplish (a techno album).

The new EP, besides Gonk Roughage is also pretty spectacular. Clark does at times completely miss with a song though, i.e. Volkan Veins and Beg.

you havent heard the album yet.. i agree that turning dragon was downhill but i also know a lot of people dig it. growls garden was good. i have hope :)

yes yes yes

Archived