IGNORED

Clark - Totems Flare

o00o

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Backson

Actually I just got the use of a crappy usb turntable. But it means I can listen to this:

333.jpg

got it a while back and its great.

fucking hell, Magnet Mine is awesome.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

Totems Flare is still raping my iTunes Top 25 . Totems Crackerjack is the most played track from the album ( Play count : 124 )

Actually I just got the use of a crappy usb turntable. But it means I can listen to this:

333.jpg

got it a while back and its great.

Shit, how i missed this realease? I listened all his releases 10 times each but did't know about this. Distant Fathers is absolutely amazing. thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

So Beneboi suggested I listen to this record, decided I would give a try while coincidentally was just about peaking from a Lucia experience. All can say is WOW.

This fucking sound design/manipulation is so impressive I can put it into words. Nothing has made my HD280s dance like this. Fucking AmAZING!

Can anyone explain some of the shit he is doing to manipulate sound so fluently with a seeming ease? God like shit

So Beneboi suggested I listen to this record, decided I would give a try while coincidentally was just about peaking from a Lucia experience. All can say is WOW.

This fucking sound design/manipulation is so impressive I can put it into words. Nothing has made my HD280s dance like this. Fucking AmAZING!

Can anyone explain some of the shit he is doing to manipulate sound so fluently with a seeming ease? God like shit

no no no. wrong. he is just an aphex copy cat in a wheel chair. throw out your clark records immediately and please reapply for your idm membership card.

fuck the membership then hehe, I'm still riding out this experience trying to understand how fuck some of the sound manipulation in this record is even possible.

Perfect time for me to be enjoying this record no doubt.

Life certainly surprises me sometimes.

I could die a happy man, this record and my HD280s have taken my ears to heights and depths like I never dreamt.

Seems like every time I watch David Caruso in his silly sunglasses, the episode contains some track from my collection. Makes me wonder whether the producers of the series have some kind of deal with warp. I only know a couple of episodes and I already encountered Autechre, Plaid, and right now they're using Clark's Abscence. Why?

Anyway, this album is very good once you get over the fact that the "Clark-Sound" has changed in recent years. I'm almost liking the ones with vocals the most, hated them at first. Maybe it's the way the vocals and instrumentals seem to be merged seamlessly into each other. Instrumentals aren't quiet in order for us to hear the vocals better, instead the vocals become instruments themselves, if that makes sense. They complement each other. Instruments give the vocals more power - it's like he succeeds at what most Metal songs are trying to do and failing at. :happy:

That being said my extreme excitement for Totems Flare was partly do to the fact that I was listening to it for the first time while hallucinating a little/heightened senses etc. from a cube of the boob.

The clarity and depth with that level of compression is fucking outstanding and unbelievable. It isn't quite as bewildering now but the way he blends acoustic elements with extremely electronic layers together so well and transformers them into completely different dimensions really didn't seem technically possible at the time.

First Clark record I had ever heard and I went from listen to youtubes on my other computer in mono to listening to that record on my other computer in 320k stereo when I started to peak so needless to say the listening experience was primed to be overwhelming and religious.

I'm almost liking the ones with vocals the most, hated them at first. Maybe it's the way the vocals and instrumentals seem to be merged seamlessly into each other. Instrumentals aren't quiet in order for us to hear the vocals better, instead the vocals become instruments themselves, if that makes sense. They complement each other. Instruments give the vocals more power

Well yeah exactly, but he does this a lot on Totems Flare with a lot more than just the vocals. Like I was saying the way that things were intertwining and shifting together as a living breathing conglomerate organism really is what impressed me. I was trying so hard to understand how it was technically achieved and I couldn't even fathom the way things were fornicating together in such an unfamiliar manner.

i wonder if he will continue with the vocals. i was so obsessed with this record when it came out and a lot had to do with some of the choruses burrowing into my brain. talis in particular. i felt the 2nd half of the album is so perfectly paced and placed, its incredible.

Guest Backson

yeah, this towers above other records. it sounds like nothing else. but not in the way that Boomkat says every time they release something, there is no reference point as to what kind of music this is. and yet it can sit alongside so many different things and sound comfortable.

Guest Backson

i'd say so. The Magnet Mine is dancey as fuck, and then Distant Farther Torch is one of his epic slow squealy tracks (in the same vein as Herzog).

the other stuff is like his Turning Dragon edits.

so yeah, a great EP.

Done and done.

I still haven't given Totems Flare a fair chance. Listening to it now and enjoying m'self quite a bit. Rainbow Voodoo is still so lol, but I'm loling along with it now.

Archived