IGNORED

Clark - Totems Flare

o00o

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so i really feel like this is super cohesive and a very very pleasant and rewarding listen the whole way through. i feel like the record is in a perfect 3 parts.

Part 1: The Bitch Slap

Outside Plume is ok, its not amazing, its not terrible. it certainly sets the stage for whats to come. the melody that enters around 3:20 is killer and the next little pummeling section is rather dope.

Growls Garden is what it is. fucking epic. brilliant. a nice melding of chris clark and clark. super catchy without being cheesy. the outro beat around 3:40 is just vintage chris clark, those additional kick drums hit so hard. love it.

Rainbow Voodoo at first, i wasnt so sure about the placement of back to back big vocal tracks but then i came around and think it fits really well. this is one of the sickest things to come out of an "idm" artist. step inside the molecule girl of a rainbow girl? lol, wtf. perfect shit right there. I wonder how introspective the line "and i dont even know if it will be worth it the long run.." is for chris. I think its worth it man, keep chugging. haha The bouncy groove that hits around 3:00 feels so out of place and so perfect at the same time. carnival grooves.

Look Into the Heart Now Brilliant way to bring it down a notch without losing momentum. my head was spinning after first hearin Rainbow Voodoo. Nice catchy beat. Not so sure that little acidy synth 303 thingy is ultra necessary around 3:26. but felt like that about the one track that had it from Turning Dragon too. I also like cold toilet seats, so what do i know. I do really like this track though.

Part 2: Turning the Body Riddle into Dragon

Luxman Furs This is where the album really starts to show the 2 styles of BR and TD come together for me. This song starts to ramp the wacky carnival theme for me. I love the drum work in the beginning and the change up at 0:52 is dope as hell. The main synth line has such an evil sinsiter vibe to it. inside the clowns mouth.

Totem Crackerjack Now this is a heavy hitter. just killer from beginning to end. Solid loop to start and i love love the cymbal work, especially the little crashes. there seems to be some buried vocal lines in here in places, as there are with a lot of this record i think. the little crazy build in the middle is great that breaks into that crazy marchy beat which goes into the best break of the record. this little piano toy groove gets tore up with the groove that accompanies it and stutters so perfectly in sync. it also reminds me a lot of the beginning of...

Future Daniel The perfect follow up because it has very similar feel. more carnival shit! I get a Night Knuckles feel from this too. sounds fun, the vocals are perfect. gets sinister and killer with the hand claps. perfect clarky moment. great cymbal work again

Part 3: The 10 Minute Release

Primary Balloon Landing Transition to last third of record

Talis Man oh man. Once again, great great great catchy perfect vocal lines. I really want a lyrics page for this release damn it! This is so slow and cold and brooding. so awesome.

Suns of Temper epic build in the beginning. perfectly paced and placed. The repeated vocal line fits so well. I feel like, along with Talis, this is some next level shit

Absence Couldnt imagine a better closing track. def pays to be friends with bibio i suppose.

Overall, i am so impressed with this record, obviously, and these are just my first impressions. this wont be leaving the rotation for a long while.

Talis is amazing, thehauntingsoul is wrong about this piece of beauty....

nice cohesive review Jules....

a little loose in your description but it is how you feel and I respect people that actually try and examine the more abstract music in our lives.....

off topic...does my signature exceed the normal socially acceptable message board size?

on topic...has anyone figured out what he is saying in Suns of Temper?

Guest hahathhat

totem crackerjack starts to sound a lot like yellow magic orchestra once it gets going..... the wobbly pitch modulation and mood.

Does anyone think there is a recurring thing going on from "Bricks" -> "Herzog" -> "Future Daniel"?

Lovin this shit btw

they all def have a lot of the same sounds for sure. bricks and herzog are closer to each other. a lot of his stuff has some similar sounds going on, which i dont mind. i love it all. future daniel is the best of those three though. so developed.

Guest IRARI

i never paid a lot of attention to (chris) clark before but i'm reconsidering given the praise this album is getting here

Prob best recieved LP on WATMM since The Tuss?

I will say though, it's a shame the artwork doesn't match at all with Body Riddle and Turning Dragon seeing they're meant to be a trilogy of sorts. Maybe I'm taking it too literally.

alright time for a Totem's Flare circle jerk

*whips cock out*

lol, its just so nice to be able to read good stuff about clark. he usually gets ripped on. wheres the pre-order that comes with the totems flare t-shirt, slipmat and coffee mug?

Archived