IGNORED

Good podcasts?

Npoess

dunno if it's been mentioned already, but if you like (somewhat) lovecraftian horror stuff, check out The Magnus Archives. I've been listening to them before falling asleep lately and I find the stories sticking with me for a while, and generally wanting to hear more. Each episode stands alone, but there is a larger plot that becomes clear, if only in the background. I'm not far enough in to say much about it, but am intrigued.

http://rustyquill.com/the-magnus-archives/

I don't get to listen to podcasts as much as I used to but i enjoyed the first few episodes of this. Good rec.
awesome, glad you checked it out. I got 110% sucked in, have caught up to the end of S3, and can confirm it only gets better as it goes on. Seriously exceeded my expectations - Sims is a great (and incredibly prolific) writer.

Through TMA I also discovered Knifepoint Horror. Quite good. I couldn't get into shows like Welcome to Nightvale or TANIS (ugh), but Knifepoint & Magnus nail it imo (both are on spotify now fwiw).

Edited by luke viia

One of my favourites is the Abroad in Japan podcast, which follows Chris Broad, a UK YouTuber living in Japan. He's currently doing a 2000 km cycle across Japan on his YouTube channel.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone here listen to chapo trap house? I've been following their subreddit and enjoying it's content a lot lately

last few years I've been leftist value wise and seen only centrist/moderate as a pragmatic reality in certain situations, now that far right-wing bullshit is not only getting normalized but also more entrenched, I feel like I need to brush up on my counter-arguments and knowledge of issues from that perspective. I rarely deal with relatives / acquaintances who fall for that right-wing bullshit but I want to feel able to confront it in a manner that's curt and to the point. Really done with this "both sides have their faults" bullshit, including my own past inclinations to fall in that camp as I would of, say, back when Obama came in office in 2009

crazy that you can stomach the subreddit. I listen to Chapo semi-regularly. I used to hate virgil but now he's actually my fav. I find felix the hardest to listen to. disgusting look and disgusting voice lol, he's also not that smart. I'm no super fan but jesus christ if my girlfriend plays slate political gabfest for me one more time I'm going to explode.

hahaha literally everyone is jumping ship

Nick Ayers, Aide to Pence, Declines Offer to Be Trump’s Chief of Staff

Ouch. Not only did he decline but he is resigning. They shouldn't have made the offer public unless they were sure it would work out. Quite embarrassing.

Ayers is 36 years old. In ANY other administration this would be a kingmaker move. It speaks volumes that Ayers turned it down. No one in their right mind wants to work for Trump.

• 2 weeks later...

crazy that you can stomach the subreddit. I listen to Chapo semi-regularly. I used to hate virgil but now he's actually my fav. I find felix the hardest to listen to. disgusting look and disgusting voice lol, he's also not that smart. I'm no super fan but jesus christ if my girlfriend plays slate political gabfest for me one more time I'm going to explode.

amber is also not smart

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

digging this one

been screaming all day. wow she really clapbacked about antisemitism to a guy called "adam friedland"

man, did not pay attention to that but did come across the recent absurd victimization of her post-Mosque shootings, in which opportunistic "supporters" of her cried antisemiticism toward a cartoonist who himself is actually Jewish American

it's crazy how people will focus on some political heir's hurt feelings over a unflattering satire and confrontation with an activist over an actual ethnic massacre of 50 people

crazy that you can stomach the subreddit. 

It's incredible how much more I enjoy the actual podcast, I'm basically ok with centrism as a compromise (actually centrism, not the 'enlightened centrist" of false equivocaty some are holding on to in the media) but christ almighty I can only read so much cynical dark humor before I feel like the left tearing itself apart is actually a thing the right is succeeding at

There's this new podcast called Strong Songs that usually does like a relatively deep breakdown of pop songs, it's generally pretty good. On the most recent one they did a listener's questions thing and one of the questions was about Aphex's Mt St Michael's outro. Just a good podcast but that was interesting to hear chatted about a little too.

:rhubear2:  :rhubear1:

digging this one

been screaming all day. wow she really clapbacked about antisemitism to a guy called "adam friedland"

man, did not pay attention to that but did come across the recent absurd victimization of her post-Mosque shootings, in which opportunistic "supporters" of her cried antisemiticism toward a cartoonist who himself is actually Jewish American

it's crazy how people will focus on some political heir's hurt feelings over a unflattering satire and confrontation with an activist over an actual ethnic massacre of 50 people

crazy that you can stomach the subreddit. 

It's incredible how much more I enjoy the actual podcast, I'm basically ok with centrism as a compromise (actually centrism, not the 'enlightened centrist" of false equivocaty some are holding on to in the media) but christ almighty I can only read so much cynical dark humor before I feel like the left tearing itself apart is actually a thing the right is succeeding at

That Kim Stanley one was great. Top dude. 

That Kim Stanley one was great. Top dude. 

Really want to get into older classic sci-fi and he's up there on my list. Really neat intro to him, glad I stumbled upon it. Coincidently he has the same voice timbre and pleasantly aloof and eccentric vibe as a local DJ I like in Austin, John Aielli. He'll do a great interview then stumble around and say "gosh darnit" and fuck up a song queue despite working there since the 70s. John's also prone to rant about something he's skimming on wikipedia "look at how many varieties of coffee there are" or for no apparent reason make an excuse to play the theme from Twin Peaks or Bauhaus.