IGNORED

Black Dog - We Are Sheffield EP (AE Remix)

nailik

Guest moo duck

i haven't heard the original too, but listening to other versions on EP it becomes clear as of how basically ae manipulation been done. they rarely deconstruct source record, and usually try to make a slightly alternate take like if they don't remix it but create the track by the same vision, not rejecting what is difference in taste for example, replacing something with something more appropriate.

so here is manipulated original sound objects to be more free-flow rhythmically and harmonically + that MPC-'Steel'-technique-alike articulation + new-ae-reverb. most probably it is Rob Brown who made this.

well i personally don't like the clean nature of these conceptually dirty processes.

Guest sirch

I get what he's on about. It's a bit hard to follow in places though. But i know what he means.

I was expecting/ hoping for a lot more from this release, personally. Especially from the ae remix!

But im kinda pissed off that it's not that great, imo. Autechre could've done better if they'd had a bit more time i guess........

The first track is ok though. Dunno about Bass Soldier's mix yet..

5.5/10 - Dissapointing.

Guest sirch

Nonsense, this is a great release. Particularly the Ae remix. Give it a couple of listens.

The last tune is a grower but it's teasingly too short imo.

Not feeling the Ae mix at all. Apologies, Ae fans.

Think it's pretty dull tbh.

Should probably hear the first 2 tracks again.

I thought ae were Manc's, anyway. Not Sheff's! smile.gif

Guest spraaaa

Rob and Sean, take those machine with you, go up on your roof, and fucking throw them 4741 miles west but try not to hit my neighbor's dog, that would be fucking disgusting.

Edited by spraaaa

oh, look, a disappointing release

I reckon almost all Black Dog releases these days are dissapointing. Unsavoury Products in 2002 was the last worthwhile release imo.

Some of the tracks off more recent albums like Silenced and Radio Scarecrow have been good. But on the whole, quite dull releases one after another.

I'm holding out for a return to the more interesting, more enjoyable, multi-faceted Black Dog music of the 90's. But sadly I don't think it'll happen.

That Monomachine/Machinedrume era HAS TO END.

Rob and Sean, take those machine with you, go up on your roof, and fucking throw them as far away as possible.

while i disagree with the notion that these machines are impeding their music in anyway i do find it strange that they are so fascinated with 2 products that are heavily influenced by the Autechre sound, its a weird feedback loop. Anyone who has extensively used a machinedrum knows these things are built for glitchy IDM specifically the kind that Autechre put on the map in the mid to late 90s. The FM synthesis section on the Monomachine is perfect for those LP5 and Ep7 sequences.

Guest theSun

while i think they really really really love those 2 devices, i think soon enough they'll get tired of using these so heavily. i wonder what the next LP will sound like :blink:

I saw the tracklist and didn't expect anything mindblowing, so I liked it when I gave it a listen. But yeah, are the Dust Brothers actually real members of the current The Black Dog? Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like the work of 3 different people.

Edited by Candiru

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the tracklist and didn't expect anything mindblowing, so I liked it when I gave it a listen. But yeah, are the Dust Brothers actually real members of the current The Black Dog? Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like the work of 3 different people.

Well when you compare it to the music produced circa '89-'94, no this release does not sound like the work of 3 Black Dog -"techno pioneer"- members.

And yes the Dust Bros. are currently real members of The Black Dog, to my knowledge.

I think they were both mainly DJ's before they took on 'The Black Dog' moniker and began working with Ken Downie.

I still don't like the release much. Find the DJ mix too Dj'ey -throwaway and meaningless- and the rest just dull.

Ae surely could have done better on this. Dissapointing, methinks, from 2 great old techno bands. I expected better.

Edited by sirch

• 11 years later...