IGNORED

Skinny Puppy - tba

Guest tibbar

Guest tibbar

just confirmed yesterday by cEvin Key on a Vancouver radio show that Ogre is currently recording vocals in L.A. with mark walk, and that the album and tour are indeed "on track" for an October release! Key apparently used alot of ReNoise on the new lp.

no title yet.

Guest IRARI

awesome i just now got into skinny puppy and download but i've liked everything i've heard so far

Guest tibbar
awesome i just now got into skinny puppy and download but i've liked everything i've heard so far

oh man, i have like everything... what have you heard? maybe i can make some suggestions?

Guest tibbar

ok, if by comps you mean the b&f stuff... you def need that stuff too. what about ohGr? have the heard those 3 records yet? if not, check them out (especially Devils In My Details). also check out ogre's work on the Pigface records Fook and Notes From Thee Underground, his record Bedside Toxicology as Rx, the movie Repo: The Genetic Opera (ogre is amazing in it as Pavi Largo). um... lessee.... all the Subconscious records stuff: tear garden, platEAU, dOWNLOAD, doubting thomas, cEvin Key's 3 solo records, and anythign else you can get your hands on by them.

trust me, it becomes an obsession (still trying to catch up on the second vault series)

Guest IRARI

i think i want to give thorough listens to all of what i've got before i expand but if i do i will remember this thread!

Guest tibbar
i think i want to give thorough listens to all of what i've got before i expand but if i do i will remember this thread!

fuck yeh man, its a LOT to digest... but its all very very worth it

Guest tibbar
Closest thing to Skinny Puppy i've listened to/heard is Front Line Assembly

oh shit, then you are REALLY missing out... FLA is kinda... hm, how do i say this without insulting the shit out of FLA fans? um... if Puppy was the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, Front Line would be the live action He-Man movie; awesome in its own kinda lame way, but not a masterpiece of art by any means.

lol then what album should i check out?

my favorite skinny puppy albums

Too Dark Park <--- theeeee quintessential perfection of the ebm/industrial electro sound. I have never heard another album by another artist besides maybe Haujobb that reaches these hieghts. 2nd wave Industrial music at it's finest

Last Rights <---- the 'downward spiral' of skinny puppy albums. Deeply experimental, extremely dense with tons of acoustic instruments and sound collages. with the final song 'Download' which was a hint for what was to come with the future side projects of Cevin Key. One of the noisiest and intesnse 'song/pop' oriented albums ever made by any band

Bites / Remission <---- some of the best dark synth pop ever made in the history of man kind. Bites especially where about 50% of the songs are awesome instrumentals made by Cevin Key. There is a distinct difference between this 'early' period skinny puppy and anything they made after 'mind the perpetual intercourse'

Guest epsy

i'd suggest these albums

skinny puppy - too dark park

skinny puppy - back n forth live DOOMSDAY (one of the best live recordings i've ever heard. the live ver of social deception is one headfuck of a track)

download - furnace

Guest tibbar
lol then what album should i check out?

well, if you want to start old, mid, or new... then theres different options:

OLD - mind tpi (first with dwayne)

MID - rabies, too dark park, last rights (considered by many to be their best run)

NEW - the greater wrong of the right, mythmaker, devils in my details (by ohgr)

and then there's the side projects, and i can't recommend getting into all of their back catalog strongly enough. this is a band with (imo) VERY few mis-steps if any... ok,maybe the hilt stuff is kinda bad.

download - furnace

i highly agree with any recommendation of download material, ESPECIALLY furnace (the new 2cd reissue is AMAZING if you like good improv jams) and THE EYES OF STANLEY PAIN!!!!!

fuck that was a great tour

i think 'the process' is far better than the greater wrong of the right or mythmaker , i saw you didn't mention that in the category of 'new' skinny puppy

and before Dwayne joined was some amazing skinny puppy as well.

yeah Furnace and Eyes of Stanely Pain are amazing, those 2 download albums sound the most like Skinny Puppy. There is another rare Download album barely anybody talks about which is the OSt to a movie called 'Charlie's Family' it also sounds very much like skinny puppy but is more experimental /collage than most Download.

the later download albums 'Effector' and 'III' are pretty amazing too but take on a much calmer psychedelic vibe than the very harsh industrial sounds of the previous discs

I like "The Process" as well, even though it is a different, poppier sound overall than their earlier stuff.

I also think that "Cleanse Fold and Manipulate" is one of their tops, too.

200px-CleanseFoldAlbumCover.jpg

Guest tibbar
i think 'the process' is far better than the greater wrong of the right or mythmaker , i saw you didn't mention that in the category of 'new' skinny puppy

and before Dwayne joined was some amazing skinny puppy as well.

yeah Furnace and Eyes of Stanely Pain are amazing, those 2 download albums sound the most like Skinny Puppy. There is another rare Download album barely anybody talks about which is the OSt to a movie called 'Charlie's Family' it also sounds very much like skinny puppy but is more experimental /collage than most Download.

the later download albums 'Effector' and 'III' are pretty amazing too but take on a much calmer psychedelic vibe than the very harsh industrial sounds of the previous discs

oh fuck yeh man, i was just naming where i would recommend a new person start in each area. we could sit here and talk about vivisect and aint it dead yet and process and puppy gristle and all that shit for hours hahaha

I like "The Process" as well, even though it is a different, poppier sound overall than their earlier stuff.

I also think that "Cleanse Fold and Manipulate" is one of their tops, too.

200px-CleanseFoldAlbumCover.jpg

Clense fold and manipulate is one of the most intense skinny puppy albums to listen to, It's so deeply dark and broodingly scary , a huge turn from the more up beat but heavy Mind the perpetual intercourse.

VivisectVi is also really fucking dark , i have to be in a really specific mood to pop on either of these releases. Vivisectvi i think i've probably only listened to 3-4 times total

Guest tibbar
VivisectVi is also really fucking dark , i have to be in a really specific mood to pop on either of these releases. Vivisectvi i think i've probably only listened to 3-4 times total

yeh vivisect is weird. i know thats a lot of the older pup fans fav... i think thats when a LOT of people REALLY started taking notice. its a weird record... i didnt like it for a long time. its maybe the most grainy and noisy record of theirs. its not even like last rights, where the atmosphere is very thick but really spacial... vivisect is just an ugly slab of record. good stuff. i think "human disease (skumm)" is my fav track. that or maybe "who's laughing now"

yeh vivisect is weird. i know thats a lot of the older pup fans fav... i think thats when a LOT of people REALLY started taking notice. its a weird record... i didnt like it for a long time. its maybe the most grainy and noisy record of theirs. its not even like last rights, where the atmosphere is very thick but really spacial... vivisect is just an ugly slab of record. good stuff. i think "human disease (skumm)" is my fav track. that or maybe "who's laughing now"

totally agree, the album is so unforgiving that it's just not easy to listen to. I love it conceptually and appreciate it for what it is but man everytime i pop it in i get that feeling like when you stay home from school with the flu and are watching a soap opera on tv

Guest tibbar

i remember the first trip i ever had, i listened to last rights in my friend's semi-finished basement. i remember laying on my face staring at this wicker rocking chair, which at the time to me looked like a throne made of crow and vulture skulls. his walls looked like this thick white calcium/stone which appeared to be sticking out in mini stalagmites. he had his tv on, and i think we were watching static/weird un-tuned channels. i can't even begin to describe how STRANGE that experience was; how something as simple as sound waves can TOTALLY flavor your entire sphere of perception.

Guest grue

i used to be a pretty big skinny puppy fan, though i don't listen to them much these days. i would also recommend too dark park to someone unfamiliar with them, but looking back i think bites and remission might be my favorites, along with vivisectvi -- that album is exhausting, as you guys say, but i think it's the first record where they really perfected the noisier alternative to their earlier, synth-rocky sound (e.g. bites and remission), which i think is what they were going for on mind and cleanse but didn't really pull off. i also think it is more focused and satisfying than the records that followed it which, though awesome, sound to me like they have a fair amount of underdeveloped or half-baked ideas (except, perhaps, for too dark park).

anyway, i haven't really enjoyed the post-process records much, save for a few tracks, but i'll give the new one a chance.

on a side note, i remember on an old forum that some guy used to claim that autechre's calbruc was really a cover of puppy's rash reflection; i have no idea whether that's true, but the two are kind of similar.

Guest tibbar

i love it all, its ALL my fav

if you havent heard the last ohGr record, let me say that you should... fans of the older style have been coming around to that record (which doesnt sound ANYTHING like welt or sunnypsyop). its almost like... if you took edward ka-spel and vivisect vi/last rights and mish-mashed it all together with a dose of improv jamming

ive heard haters of the last 2 pup records say that DIMD sounded more like a pup record than those 2 did. again, i like it all... so its hard for me to say. but i WILL tell you it was THE best of the 5 times ive seen ogre live in various groups, and the audience seemed REALLY energetic (moreso than the tgwotr tour)

Guest grue
i love it all, its ALL my fav

if you havent heard the last ohGr record, let me say that you should... fans of the older style have been coming around to that record (which doesnt sound ANYTHING like welt or sunnypsyop).

Thanks for the recommendation. I gave it a listen and it wasn't bad; I liked it more than TGWOTR and Mythmaker, but not as much as most of the older SP (it might grow on me more though). I think the contemporary musician who comes closest to old SP (in the ways that matter to me) is Shackleton. There are a lot of obvious differences between them, but old SP had a mood that I find pretty unique, and I think it is shared by a lot of Shackleton's tracks (I have in mind stuff like "The Rope Tightens," "The Branch is Weak," "Death is Not Final," and so on.)

Guest tibbar

ill hafta check that out... yeh, i know people think after dwayne od'ed that that is when pup changed, but i think it has more to do production wise with rave not being involved. i think if rave produced the next record, everyone would go "THERES the old pup"

Archived