IGNORED

mtv's "the state"

EdamAnchorman

July 14, 2009

the_state_header_01.jpg

i know there have been discussions about this show here a few times but a quick search indicated no primary thread. this was probably one of the best shows ever on mtv, and for those who don't know, early work of most of the reno 911 crew. wonderful sketch comedy. i wanna dip my balls in it.

edit: trailer

Guest tv_party

didn't they have a skit where some guy stood outside this trailer and he kept saying "lopez? ... lopez? .... lopez?"

for some reason that sticks in my mind. I've walked around half the day on a few occasions saying that.

great news! one of the best sketch comedy shows of all time

i think this takes the cake for my favorite State sketch....

Hey all ! how's everything in this crazy sideways house?

AWFUL!

Come on it's a little funny, your house, its side-ways!

ITS NOT FUNNY, ITS DANGEROUS. this house killed him and it will kill EVERY LAST ONE OF US!

Guest catsonearth
didn't they have a skit where some guy stood outside this trailer and he kept saying "lopez? ... lopez? .... lopez?"

for some reason that sticks in my mind. I've walked around half the day on a few occasions saying that.

i think that was kids in the hall.

I remember that but I thought it was a Kids In The Hall skit. I dunno though!

Guest tv_party

I remember that but I thought it was a Kids In The Hall skit. I dunno though!

shit maybe it was. mark mckinney I think.

Guest telikan

I can't find the one where Ken Marino is the dad who stubbornly insists on bringing the boiler on a camping trip.

I can't find the one where Ken Marino is the dad who stubbornly insists on bringing the boiler on a camping trip.

yeah only a tiny bit of it is on youtube. I was trying to find the one where ken marino gets his thumb ripped off by a passing driver while trying to hitchike but failed :(

Guest catsonearth

my favorite sketch was always the "let's go to the zoo and watch the monkeys do it!" one.

i was the biggest state fan when that shit was on - i seriously watched the shit so much i can probably recite many of the sketches word for word to this day. i bought the VHS tape when it came out and it wasn't quite as funny as i remembered, but then again, it didn't have a lot of my favorite scenes on it, so that may have had something to do with it.

i also love this one:

"...they have 4 stripes instead of 3. so for less money i was able to get extra stripe. is very good deal."

"call me old fashioned, but when a child asks me why it rains, i like to tell them it's because god is crying. and it's probably something they did."

Guest skabio

Great news. I still have the skits and stickers VHS. I just hope its not edited to shit the the ones on Xbox live. I guess they couldn't get the rights to a bunch of the music so they had to replace them. I'll still have to pick this up either way though.

Guest tibbar

about. fucking. time.

mtv... next on your slate: liquid television, sifl & olly. thank you.

• 1 month later...

this is out today.

i read that, unfortunately, mtv had to replace a lot of the music in the sketches due to copyright junk. i even read that some sketches had to be re-dubbed in parts because of that. i hope the commentary and extras will make up for that. it will be hard seeing barry talk about his puddin without hearing marvin gaye in the background...

Archived