IGNORED

the black dog - spanners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vamos scorcho

• 1 month later...
Guest nene multiple assgasms

has anyone else had trouble ripping this cd? my computer won't even recognize that there's a disc in the drive with this in.

Guest PusillanimousRex

yep, this is awesome ya, beautiful flow to the album, must've been mind blowing when it first came out

So much so that most people just didn't get it or outright hated it back then. I took time for people's personal contexts to finally make this relevant.

But it can be mind-blowing at any time. Now is as good a time as any.

• 5 months later...
Guest boredroom

I mind Spanners bootleg doing the rounds on Cassette Tape months before its release. It sounded INCREDIBLE even then but it was what you came to expect from the original 3 headed dog.. everything they touched even if it were only andy and ed, turned to gold.. their remixes were even the dogs bollix.. I mind reading about their split in the once cool magazine that was Musik and couldnt believe it, devistated! Music for adverts surprisingly was not up to the standard and again surprisnly the Plaid boys came up tops with not for 333s.. however even today the Plaid material is great and I love their work but they are missing that something special from back in the days and I dont think its Ken as they managed to capture the magic again on the last 2 soundtracks.. who knows what scintilli will deliver.. hoping its a beauty!

Guest boredroom

and double figure? open for interpretation i guess... although it was claimed in an interview preceeding the not for 333s album that it was something to do with an emergency number that would/or would not? be dialed within hospitals!? a little known fact: spanners was going to be titled Arcanus Electrus!

So was not for threes an overt way of saying "f u ken" ?

No. "Not for Three's" (i heard) is a medical term, basically meaning that a patient is not to be resuscitated in the event of death.. or something like that.

i also remember reading Ed saying something like if NF3's wasn't received well and went tits up that they were just going to pack it all in and get regular jobs.

so then the title would make sense. in that if NF3's bombed, they weren't going to be 'resuscitated' in any way and try again. no more Plaid/ Black Dog, or anything, i guess.

maybe they would have just been session muscians, or only producers... or travelled in Bjorks' band forever. or all 3. i doubt they'd have done office jobs. :)

i don't think the title is really aimed at Ken. but i dunno. i don't know anybody who actually knows or would speak about why Ed and Andy ever left Black Dog in the first place........

Spanners or Silenced?

omg. are you serious? - Spanners!! definitely.

Silenced doesn't come ANY where NEAR close to the brilliance of Spanners and the genius of the original Black Dog trio, imo.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest ruiagnelo

haven't heard temple - - - -

this album and bytes both give me a really unique feeling. very special

What are you waiting for then??

Guest ruiagnelo

and double figure? open for interpretation i guess... although it was claimed in an interview preceeding the not for 333s album that it was something to do with an emergency number that would/or would not? be dialed within hospitals!? a little known fact: spanners was going to be titled Arcanus Electrus!

I guess i prefer "Spanners" as a title :cerious:

• 9 years later...

An all-time Warp classic top-five album for me, for sure. There are definitely some lesser moments for me personally, but the greatness overall makes it so worth revisiting the whole that I actually appreciate the few downtimes in between. The first 20 minutes especially, culminating in that Psil-cosyn track is worth it, alone. Shit blew my 17-year old mind back in the day, and still does it for me when I revisit it from time to time now. 

Once, my friend tried to play this album at my Kung fu studio to embarrass me (he thought everyone would laugh at how weird my musical tastes were) in front of our sifu, and I said they should put on something else instead for the warmup phase of our routine. But once  Barbola work came on, Sifu started grooving and told me if I ever made assumptions that he wouldn’t like some good shit like this again, he’d kick my ass. Respect. 

Archived