IGNORED

Macc & dgoHn - Some Shit Saaink

Guest Jimbob

Had this through my door today, posted all the way from deepest Cornwall.

Only a few tracks in so far, 7C 1020 is proper sick. Glad to get hold of this after the long wait....

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some people I know were a bit confused about the different releases and formats all under the same name and title

just to clarify, three separate releases, one vinyl, one digital and one on cd - 15 tracks in total and I now finally have all of them. yippee!!

The four track vinyl release

The five track digital release

The ten track cd

Guest nene multiple assgasms

wish there was a digital release. will be ordering, hope they're in stock now

What about this one?

that version has a completely different track list from the cd. the cd shares 2 tracks in common withe the vinyl release. as far as I know the other 8 tracks are new. the album is the shit, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad everyone seems to be diggin the album !!!

Subtle Audio is drum n' bass/drumfunk/etc. great hope.

It shouldn't be that a few 1990's Photek/Source Direct/etc. albums be the only thing available in this vein; Subtle Audio has kept the ethic alive and well.

Thanks for the words! We do our best.

Stay on WATMM and spam the shit out of SA at all times!

Okay then !

For a start this Polska album could do with more love. If ya dig the Macc & dgoHn CD, ya should dig this 2xCD aswell :

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/55875-polska-2nd-rate/page__view__findpost__p__1313287__hl__polska__fromsearch__1

:smile:

• 2 months later...

man, i never really noticed this one at the rephlex.com update... this sounds very very good. really like how it's atmospheric without having to go the neurofunk-blade runner-sfx route or the other way with movie dialogue intros and whale sounds or anything.

there's a whole world of D&B out there like this stuff.

Sadly, it's gets little or no attention.

Watch for labels like Pinecone Moonshine, Scientific Wax, Inperspective, Syncopathic and others.

Also, the latest project on Subtle Audio has just been released, check the WATMM thread here : http://forum.watmm.com/topic/62012-subtle-audio-vol-ii/

Features a collab from Macc & DSP amongst other breakbeat inspired tracks from the likes of Alpha Omega, DJ Trax, Kontext/Dissident, Earl Grey (who posts here!) and Naibu.

Guest David R James

'there's a whole world of D&B out there like this stuff'

Yep and it does get attention but it depends how you are exposed to it. Which many people here aren't. There is music 10-15 years older than this stuff that is much better. Source direct is one.

'there's a whole world of D&B out there like this stuff'

Yep and it does get attention but it depends how you are exposed to it. Which many people here aren't. There is music 10-15 years older than this stuff that is much better. Source direct is one.

I think music like this should be judged on it's own and not in comparison to older stuff because having listened to D&B / Jungle / Hardcore etc for the last 17 or 18 years I do think this is genuinely different to what has gone before.

source direct and macc/dgohn is a fairly awkward comparison imo. SD were making dance music first and foremost, written to get ppl moving. macc/dgohn of course make dance music too, but there's far more to hear in their tunes than there is SD ones (not taking anything away from them). m/d tracks have way more of that adventurous feel to em, whereas SD's tunes (and a lot of similar dnb from that time), well you can pick them apart really, in the same way you can with most 'mainstream' dnb. intro, break, drop, break, outro. loops here and there, etc. when i listen to the m/d album i feel the same way i do when i listen to drukqs-afx or ultravisitor/go plastic-squarepusher.

paradox and photek (and even then, only the modus operandi album) would have been a fairer comparison, and to tell you the truth i prefer the m/d album because it doesn't feel as samey a listen as the paradox albums/modus operandi do.

i find it kind of funny when people try and make "intelligent" dnb that isnt "intro, break, drop, break, outro. loops here and there" etc. cause isn't the whole point of dnb that it is meant to be mixed and dj'ed? since when did dnb actually become some high-echelon artform? most attempts i have heard at this just sound like pretentious IDM.

i find it kind of funny when people try and make "intelligent" dnb that isnt "intro, break, drop, break, outro. loops here and there" etc. cause isn't the whole point of dnb that it is meant to be mixed and dj'ed? since when did dnb actually become some high-echelon artform? most attempts i have heard at this just sound like pretentious IDM.

For me, the interesting music comes when people ignore the formulas...

D&B (and other genres of music) don't have to confine themselves to any one shape or form - would get boring fast if that was the case.

:w00t:

isnt that how a genre is defined, though.

im not saying people should only make one kind of D&B, im just saying that the genre is defined by being dance-oriented. it sounds out of place when someone tries to make D&B that tries to sound intelligent but at the same time they want it to be dancefloor accessible. its like they are bored with D&B, and want to make something better, but still want to have the shtick of it being DnB so they can still get paid and have more exposure. cause if its considered D&B there is already an established fan base, whereas random IDM isn't as lucrative...

this results in tracks that sound like they are trying to be progressive but still have all the common sound-memes associated with D&B and thereore are a contradiction unto themselves

isnt that how a genre is defined, though.

im not saying people should only make one kind of D&B, im just saying that the genre is defined by being dance-oriented. it sounds out of place when someone tries to make D&B that tries to sound intelligent but at the same time they want it to be dancefloor accessible. its like they are bored with D&B, and want to make something better, but still want to have the shtick of it being DnB so they can still get paid and have more exposure. cause if its considered D&B there is already an established fan base, whereas random IDM isn't as lucrative...

this results in tracks that sound like they are trying to be progressive but still have all the common sound-memes associated with D&B and thereore are a contradiction unto themselves

But I do dance to stuff like this !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5iKEiMwHgk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vloJBoswtCQ

and believe me, when Macc & dgoHn were making this, the last thing they were thinking about was money.

Even with a release on Rephlex, this album is unlikely to make them a whole lot (though granted, more than if it was just on Subtle Audio as was originally planned)

It's just people expressing themselves musically, there's nothing strategic or contrived about it.

Aswell as the tunes that are danceable (like "Mustard Greens" and "July 39th" above) there are moments that are probably not going to move feet on a dancefloor. But to me those kind of tracks are necessary on an album - they help to make the whole thing listenable in one go - I'm a 24 hours a day D&B person alot of the time, I like the diversity.

• 4 years later...

Uuuuh necromancing this old thread but thought you would like to know that Subtle Audio is re-relasing Some Shit Saaink as digital within the next couple of weeks. Dunno where, maybe on their own website. Time to summon Code to fill us in.

Archived