IGNORED

some topic about indie bands and shit.

Guest bitroast

Guest bitroast

i'm nicely drunk and happy to make a crappy topic about how great grizzly bear are.

seriously, the more i listen to them the better they get, the more i appreciate their sound and style. i've listened to them a fair bit, so this rule+the amount of times i've listen to them = i'm really into them atm.

this topic is to either appreciate this amazing band, or perhaps youd like to come along and throw rocks at people like me who like this indie/hipster rubbish. who wants in?

yeah? not even sure if i've heard of them before but i'll check them out!

make sure you check out Flashlight Seasons and Black Holes In The Sand

i personally didn't care much for anything after that

Guest bitroast

Too many people like Grizzy Bear for them to be indie/hipster.

i almost find it surprising that they're so popular. too me a while to really >get< them, and hear it as it is and enjoy it. if they're not indie/hipster, what are they? just some band?

Guest zaphod

i don't have a problem with music being indie or hipster, but grizzly bear are incredibly overrated. everything i've heard by them has meandering underdeveloped songwriting that cribs from better bands. it's symptomatic of many indie bands right now but i do not understand why they get as much praise as they do. i was bored to tears by veckatimast and yellow house.

i almost find it surprising that they're so popular. too me a while to really >get< them, and hear it as it is and enjoy it. if they're not indie/hipster, what are they? just some band?

They're just a band, all bands are just bands. I was making a joke really, hipster and indie aren't genres of music.

Guest bitroast

yeah. i dunno. similar to what i was saying earlier, first few times i heard them it was just.. nothing.

i gave it another listen some time later and it just clicked. everything sounded right and perfect. the song writing/performance/production. sure, might not be everyone's thing (nothing ever will be >everyone's< thing (and that's probably the way it should be), but i'm happy to say i think grizzly bear are an amazing band and deserve whatever praise is directed torwards them.

still tho, apperantly they're too big to be hipster and now they're just some band. so whatever, i've pretty much lost interest in them if they're only some rubbish nothing band.

Guest bitroast

They're just a band, all bands are just bands. I was making a joke really, hipster and indie aren't genres of music.

hah yeah. it's defintiely sometihng that plays around in the back of my head though. the amount of hype and praise a band gets will influence how i listen to them. it will either raise expectations to the point that what im hearing will not reach the hype, or knowing that other people like them i might be more likely to give them a chance and get into them. either way, know some band is actually massively praised and highly regarded does make a difference to how we hear music. little things like that do my head in.

Guest zaphod

i dunno, i've listened to their latest album a number of times now because of how much hype it's getting and i don't see it. there's nothing that's going to click with me. it's not like pavement or something, where i was always drawn to the music but it remained kind of elusive. in this case the songwriting is often lazy or on autopilot. it's like "let's make the last track a beatles piano ballad" "let's make the first track rambling folk rock". like they're trying on different styles but not communicating anything of interest. it just sounds like a somewhat talented band messing around, not the fully developed brilliant album everyone is saying it is. but that's just me, obviously a lot of people like this.

yeah? not even sure if i've heard of them before but i'll check them out!

make sure you check out Flashlight Seasons and Black Holes In The Sand

i personally didn't care much for anything after that

those are the only releases by them i have

animals is a great song

all i know about grizzly bear is the appearance they made on dntel's last album... i don't go out and seek these bands out, but there are a few of them that have slipped past my stubborness that i enjoy! most of my friends in cali listen to this stuff... so now that i'm going back, i'll get exposed to it more!

Old man Joe`s awesome, and his points are usually pretty valid. The other two are more like little kids voicing their opinions, but it`s kind of endearing.

Yeah, i can`t really overemphasize how good Vecketamist is. It`s a top 5 album for me. I`ve been writing songs for 15 years, and theirs sound anything but lazy to me. These guys know their shit and have become a huge inspiration. I don`t get the Beatles comparison either. I hear The Beatles influence all over the place, but it`s not readily apparent in most Grizzly Bear songs I hear. There`s definitely a 50`s influence in there, big do-wop influence in some of the harmonies, but not much strikes me as Beatlesque in their writing. Of course, I`d be surprised if they weren`t an influence on some level, but it`s never in an obvious way. They`re a rare band in that each singer has a very distinct unique approach to his melodies. Lots of bands try to do something stylistically different to try to stick out from the crowd or whatever, but very few can create melodies that sound distinctly their own. That to me is the sign of some truly talented musicians. Love the production too, particularly their use of room sounds. I always feel like I`m right there with them when I listen.

Guest beatfanatic

love me some Grizzly Bear.

I have Veckatimest on vinyl, still need to pick Yellow House.

people talking about things that are indie/hipster are worse than people who actually are indie/hipster. there is a lot of really good music that people tack that label onto, "it's only for hipsters", pathetic stuff.

Guest bitroast

Old man Joe`s awesome, and his points are usually pretty valid. The other two are more like little kids voicing their opinions, but it`s kind of endearing.

Yeah, i can`t really overemphasize how good Vecketamist is.

heh yesss. i've recently been checking out their bootlegs+radio recordings, appreciating their live performances. listened to a few and they're all perfect/amazing performances. on top of that there's the fact the songs (from yellow house+horn of plenty) have been slightly reworked to be performed live. it made it so much extra easier to appreciate the band as a whole, their songwriting/performance, just their sound in general.

and going from that to veckatiment, it totally makes sense where they're coming from and where they're at atm as a band. it's just.. all too good!

After listening to Horn of Plenty and Yellow House a shitload, Veckatimest dissapointed me, it wasn't shit or anything it just didn't please me like Yellow House did.

Archived