maetric - utilizame

vitalic - u and i

sally shapiro - i'll be by your side

want?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joshier

clark uses a lot of distortion sounding effects on most of his tracks and people hail him an absolute genius.

not following music rules because you can't be bothered to learn them in the first place isn't being experimental.

if mouse on mars is this guy http://www.myspace.com/mouseonmars then his tracks are fucking shit.

tracklisting

abfahrt hinwil - everything is green

boxcutter - silver burch solstice

bitstream - orange room

lusine - emerald

tipper - squiggle

m.i.a. - bucky done gone

dynarec - caged train

dexter - egyptian daze

putsch 79 - doing it

daniel wang - to hold you again

ellen allien & apparat - way out

monolake - digitalis

maetric - utilizame

vitalic - u and i

want?

glad to see boxcutter mentioned. i dont care for his melodic tunes but his rhythmic, complex tracks are brilliant

Guest joshier

some one please link me to a youtube video, or something of your favorite clark song. I am just not in to him, and i want to hear what you think is his best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C3Fd5QuM6Y

this is the only song i mildly enjoy by cark. its even a bit of a joke.. it has a nice melody with funny sounds playing. its hardly ground braking idm. its not pushing any limits at all. anyone who disagrees is totally ignorant. go listen to some amon tobin, now there's some material with a lot of time spent on it.

Guest joshier
Yeah the Creel Pones are great, i've got about 6 or 7..the Jacques Lejeune 'Blanche Neige' one is really good, as are the 2 Tod Dockstader releases. If you haven't checked out Dockstader, that would definitely be a recommendation - MMS usually has most of his stuff in stock - get Quatermass and Apocalypse (both from the 60s) and the 3 'Aerial' CDs (which are all post-2000..he's still going aged 70 something). I recently got the Francisco Lopez 10CD boxset 'Nowhere' which is very cool musique concrete/drone/noise stuff (the boxset was expensive though). MMS is great for vintage electronic music (like the Dockstader releases I mentioned, and the Creel Pones). If you're interested in those, you might want to check out Dick Raaijmakers; there's a really good 3CD set which compiles all his works under his own name, and also 'Popular Electronics', which has all his releases under his Kid Baltan alias, as well as lots of other music by dutch electronic pioneers. Both those compilations are on Basta. Another recommendation would be the Bernard Parmegiani 12CD boxset, which is amazing (although I got my copy from INA grm in France, as it was cheaper...I also just got the Luc Ferrari complete electronic works 10CD boxset from INA..looking foward to listening to that one). There's also a five CD boxset 'Archives GRM' (I'm a sucker for nice boxsets, as you may have realised), which compiles a lot of unreleased tracks by french musique concrete artists such as Parmegiani, Ferrari, Pierre Henry, Pierre Schaeffer etc... I think MMS is stocking all of these. Also, Keith Fullerton Whitman's own music is worth checking out, and MMS is obviously the best place to get that from.

There is a WDR compilation at MMS I want, I'm poor right now so I'll have to wait. Do you have this WDR comp Stoppit? It's all the pure electronic music from Germany in the 50's not the concrete stuff from France. I remember an article/interview with Autechre in Grooves magazine where, I think, Sean says that they were really into synthesis circa Confield. This synthesis idea really inspired me, I owned stuff from Xenakis, Bayle and Stockhausen before this statement was made but it had concrete elements in it. When Sean Booth said "all synthesis" something clicked and I really liked that idea so the WDR compilation at MMS must be wicked, I like to think. Oh yeah Curtis Roads works in this way, the all synthesis method, and he's another artist/theorist making really good stuff recently his 'Point, Line, Cloud' is great. More Computer music that is good would be the recent stuff by Cristioan Vogel. Deepex, you should check out the relese 'The Never Engine', it's great, it's all computer music made with the Kyma(sp?) music production system. At least my friend says it's all made with Kyma, he talked to Cristian at a recent show about Kyma. Btw this/my friend Gerald Wenzel makes good computer music with Csound (the 'Prairie Program' release and midi hardware for his release 'Hollow Way') and had releases on Phthalo, check out that stuff, it's good, imo.

thanks both narkeworld & Stoppit for all these mentions. i'll check them out soon.

Guest joshier

Music is a very subjective thing and if anyone likes any particular artists for any reason that's great, but if we are talking technical ability and how unique a certain artists sounds then it helps to know a bit of background knowledge of the process. A Buddhist might think a simple acid line is stunning, but in reality it's piss easy with the right equipment. People here with a bit of background knowledge in this area can see through the bullshit that other, less knowledgeable people have put clark into. It's distortion and it's all over his tracks. That isn't hard. Making it sound rough or dirty isn't hard.. it's about every single other element. Aphex can make a really complex sounding track and not have to make it sound dirty or slightly off to make it unique or original. Aphex as another member pointed out the other day didn't explore many music genres which his a great shame but he perused in his own style. I do enjoy the track clearence park by clark as I mentioned earlier but fuck me - if that's a reflection of some of his best work then he no longer deserves to be anywhere near the title of 'most unique artist of the decade!'

tracklisting

abfahrt hinwil - everything is green

boxcutter - silver burch solstice

bitstream - orange room

lusine - emerald

tipper - squiggle

m.i.a. - bucky done gone

dynarec - caged train

dexter - egyptian daze

putsch 79 - doing it

daniel wang - to hold you again

ellen allien & apparat - way out

monolake - digitalis

maetric - utilizame

vitalic - u and i

want?

Yeah that would be brilliant. You could use yousendit.

Guest joshier

Clark definately deserves it more than anyone else. I say he deserves it more than Cylob and dare I say Vibert.

i say he deserves my cock in his little mouth

Despite the way i may have come across in my previous posts, i have genuinely listened to the majority of his tracks and nothing about them seem appealing. I'm not an ignorant fuck so I'll happily listen to any links on youtube.

Clark seems to have a lot of buzz for no reason at all other than a clan of people who think he's the new aphex/idm god. Aphex has built up a huge back catalogue of music and that has what's made him. Clark is very new compared obviously but that's no reason to doubt his ability, but so far I'm just hearing a lot of tunes that have his signature digital distortion sound covering the majority of tracks that do nothing to enhance the listening experience. To me, it's in the same vein as mozart pissing about on his piano playing a straight arpeggio up and then down very fast to show off his skill, adding no emotion to the melody - thus proving his ego is as big as an elephant and that he's loosing touch with reality.

Guest Computer

though i have not read the whole thread and I might be going out on a limb here, but what about Jimmy Edgar, though he has gone a little weird now. but his earlier shit was really good. And even jackson and the computer band has put out some interestesing stuff. though not recently which is a shame. and Ed Chamberlin. those few come to mind. its not ground bracking shit it just sounds good!

What clark is doing is interesting and there are some good points about him making arpeggiated, unemotional music with lost of compression and having a lack of dynamics. those where just a few points that come to mind. and maybe i have misunderstood these opinions, but he is making his version of banga rave music. If you actually listen to some of the music that he seems to be "referencing" there is alot of arppegiated melodies and the sort throughout that eletro genre, and thats the good thing about Clark is he is taking what he enjoys, and what he is influenced by and doing his own thing. you listen to Violenl, See See, Kin Griff ,Urgent Jack Hell, Gob Coitus,The Dogs,A Laugh with Hills,The Chase and it will make you shit yourself there so good!

this thread is awesome, theres so much to agree with/discuss if only i saw this the other day..

tauboo thanks sooooo much for that mix, ill be listening to it tomorrow :D

Awepittance. Hit me with some of these non-Pitchfork electronic artists you speak of who are decent.

Coh, Team doyobi, F.x. randomize, Hyu, Nommo Ogo, Reformed Faction, Frank Bretschneider, Terminal Sound System, Punck, Terminal 11, Cylob, DJ Stingray/Urban Tribe, Tomoroh Hidari, Brian Ellis, Scuzi, SND

Awepittance. Hit me with some of these non-Pitchfork electronic artists you speak of who are decent.

Coh, Team doyobi, F.x. randomize, Hyu, Nommo Ogo, Reformed Faction, Frank Bretschneider, Terminal Sound System, Punck, Terminal 11, Cylob, DJ Stingray/Urban Tribe, Tomoroh Hidari, Brian Ellis, Scuzi, SND

I've heard of some of these, they must be pretty Pitchfork. :wink:

Guest joshier

Nonononono

If you really want to appreciate Clark's music than you can't hear..

what makes you think i haven't listened to his albums?

i actually came back into the thread to recommend your label (record label records), which has some experimental-ish IDM. i didn't think of it at first just because i was trying to come up with 'big names' taking over the mantle from the warp artists, etc.

Archived