IGNORED

If not Chris Clark than who?

Mr12000

thanks pbn,

i think Clark has really good marketing behind him , whether it's all warp's doing or not it falls in a similar category to me as things like Burial, and the Field. While they are both very good electronic acts, the amount they are force fed (whether by snowball effect or intentional marketing) to the electronic music consuming public cannot be ignored. I would not be too surprised if most of the Clark fans who praise him so highly (saying he is taking the mantle) have not even heard 80% of the things that pop up on Last.fm when you look for things that sound like clark.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what happened to the days when WATMM was into electronic artists who weren't talked about all over the place r was there even an era where watmm openly talked about and appreciated smaller bands, those who do not appear in pitchfork.

I said Asmus Tietchens, if that's not good enough than;) I don't know what is. Well there is also Gunter Muller, B12, The Black Dog, all the cool avant garde stuff that is sold at Forced Exposure and MMS (Hrvatski/Keith Fullerton Whitman's webstore), Monolake is good, Hardwax records is really, really good, they sell very good electronic music, also the store DS2 (along with Hardwax) in England sells the the best techno is the world, Microsuoni is a good store, new Hecker releases are probably good, Raster-Noton is good, as well as 12k, the NHK release on Raster-Noton is really, really good. Sandwell District is a wicked techno label that puts out new stuff. A lot going on in the world.

don't worry you did good :) , but my my point is that people with your level of knowledge of what new electronic music is out there would probably never pile this type of praise onto clark. yes he is good, yes he is skilled but to even suggest he is the next AE or Aphex Twin is fantasy

Guest assegai

I didn't read this thread but clearly we're only talking about IDM artists. If we're talking the greatest in electronic music there's a ton of artists left out. I don't even know who the f cylob is.

Guest joshier

The trouble with hailing the best idm/electronic artist is that we all have varying levels of knowledge regarding this subject.

If we had a consolidated list of links to lots of the best voted songs, we could probably progress quite quick. A great, great song is usually commonly agreed upon to a certain extent and thus it would have higher votes. I'm sure if you did create such a system you would eventually find the better tracks moving apart from the poor ones. Sadly the infrastructure isn't there to listen directly to mp3's because they aren't always on soulseek, or in shops, or on youtube etc. Spotify would be ideal for this but lacks many record labels.

Guest narkeworld

what happened to the days when WATMM was into electronic artists who weren't talked about all over the place r was there even an era where watmm openly talked about and appreciated smaller bands, those who do not appear in pitchfork.

I said Asmus Tietchens, if that's not good enough than;) I don't know what is. Well there is also Gunter Muller, B12, The Black Dog, all the cool avant garde stuff that is sold at Forced Exposure and MMS (Hrvatski/Keith Fullerton Whitman's webstore), Monolake is good, Hardwax records is really, really good, they sell very good electronic music, also the store DS2 (along with Hardwax) in England sells the the best techno is the world, Microsuoni is a good store, new Hecker releases are probably good, Raster-Noton is good, as well as 12k, the NHK release on Raster-Noton is really, really good. Sandwell District is a wicked techno label that puts out new stuff. A lot going on in the world.

don't worry you did good :) , but my my point is that people with your level of knowledge of what new electronic music is out there would probably never pile this type of praise onto clark. yes he is good, yes he is skilled but to even suggest he is the next AE or Aphex Twin is fantasy

Yeah, Clark has made some pretty melodies but basically I try to stay away from his music. I don't know what it is but I don't like it, it's not sharp like Autechre or Aphex (well at least the pre-96 Aphex is sharp). I mean Autechre's music just cuts through your brain like a samuri(sp?) sword and Clark's music just presents all these poetic questions and leaves you sitting there wondering if the questions are deep or are they just post-modern high culture meets pop culture "runarounds". I mean are you really getting anywhere when you listen to Clark? Autechre always make me feel powerful but Clark makes me confused, I'm gonna die in 50 years and pondering frog's bellies impregnated(sp?) with plastic straws just doens't cut it for me, and that's the kinda stuff I think about when I listen to Clark. So, no to Clark for me. But in the end it's just my opinion.

Guest fingers

Yeah, Clark has made some pretty melodies but basically I try to stay away from his music. I don't know what it is but I don't like it, it's not sharp like Autechre or Aphex (well at least the pre-96 Aphex is sharp). I mean Autechre's music just cuts through your brain like a samuri(sp?) sword and Clark's music just presents all these poetic questions and leaves you sitting there wondering if the questions are deep or are they just post-modern high culture meets pop culture "runarounds". I mean are you really getting anywhere when you listen to Clark? Autechre always make me feel powerful but Clark makes me confused, I'm gonna die in 50 years and pondering frog's bellies impregnated(sp?) with plastic straws just doens't cut it for me, and that's the kinda stuff I think about when I listen to Clark. So, no to Clark for me. But in the end it's just my opinion.

Yeah, buts that's the appeal of Clark's music IMO. There are times where you're not quite sure what's going on, where her creates these fuzzy, vivd soundscapes that sound alien but also emotional and personal at the same time. It's the fact that he's different from Aphex and Autechre that makes me like him so much... His music intrigues me.

I vastly prefer Tim Exile to Clark. Clark's track "Guitar Solo" is quite good, though.

I'd rather take Gerald Donald's projects, Ceephax or DMX Krew if you wanna go with the safe mainstays that are still active.

There are some interesting, more obscure alternatives as well, but we're all seeing how the Cylob forum is faring. There's just not that much news/fanboy theorizing when it comes to artists other than the early Warp monoliths.

I've been listening to Clark a bit more lately but for whatever reason I don't see anything unique in his stuff. I like quite a few of his tracks but as an artist I really don't associate him with anything other than being an IDM artist. I can't really pin down a Chris Clark MO or sound unlike with AFX, Autechre, BOC, Flying Lotus, The Field or whathaveyou. He's made some pretty stuff but it really doesn't seem to have a personality of its own.

Guest Iain C

Are you trolling or are you really the biggest fucking moron on the face of the earth?

I've been listening to Clark a bit more lately but for whatever reason I don't see anything unique in his stuff. I like quite a few of his tracks but as an artist I really don't associate him with anything other than being an IDM artist. I can't really pin down a Chris Clark MO or sound unlike with AFX, Autechre, BOC, Flying Lotus, The Field or whathaveyou. He's made some pretty stuff but it really doesn't seem to have a personality of its own.

do you write for pitchfork

yo,

awepittance

Guest narkeworld

Are you trolling or are you really the biggest fucking moron on the face of the earth?

No that's what I really think, damn and I thought you were a cool person.

do you write for pitchfork

yo,

awepittance

I write for a pitchfork.

Archived