IGNORED

An interesting lecture in London (human behaviour)

Dale

I can't believe I read all this shit.

Who makes my ipods, skinny jeans and tofu burgers in a resource based economy? That's what I want to know.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who makes my ipods, skinny jeans and tofu burgers in a resource based economy? That's what I want to know.

machine technology

Guest inteeliguntdesign

I've avoided all this zeitgeist stuff until now. I've been told to watch the film again and again. Everytime I ask why no one can really tell me, so I guessed it was style above substance. I still don't know if that's true--not having watched the film--but I noticed that he's a great speaker. For the first four minutes he basically says, "there's nature and nurture. people thought there was an evil gene, but that turned out to be bollocks. nature can, though, increase your innate genetic propensity to do stuff" Pretty average stuff, almost trite, but I was fucking transfixed.

machine technology

Robots are going to grow and harvest my soybeans? Will they taste like machine technology?

it's important to note that people would be pretty miserable if they had access to everything they need (if that's what this is suggesting?). the initial novelty and happiness would eventually wear off, making a bunch of spoiled assholes that turn to less savory activities for fun, like killing baby dolphins and setting things on fire.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

I still hold that much of his popularity comes from his excellent delivery. His monotone, easy to follow, sentences and examples are strangely appealing.

The second video was fairly interesting. He seems to argue the agricultural revolution--our new environment which nurtures us--released our propensity for greed. This was realised by our (unequal) ability to stockpile goods en mass, which left some poverty stricken.

I'd be interested to know what his solutions are, considering he holds environment dictates nurture. Machinery will always allow stockpiling. So either he's a luddite, or he thinks we can use machinery to stop this stockpiling by, perhaps, giving everyone such a machine?

What you're talking about is the singularity. That's great sci-fi.

Where does the energy come from? The resources to make the materials? If one country controls all the gold wiring in the world (and that's a pretty fucking vital part of electronics) they have the power.

Dr. Wiener (snicker snicker) fails to take into account one thing. WTF are all those people working the factory line going to do when they get replaced by machines? Not everyone can be an engineer/programmer/musician..

And having computers determine the ideal environment for humans? Are you fucking kidding me? Yeah they're great at dealing with logical situations, but what do they do when Hurricane Katrina comes through and they decide it's more environmentally beneficial to let all the people in New Oreleans die? You get a million Kanye Wests going "Skynet hates black people".

What does a computer do when some fucking lunatic sits up in a clock tower and starts sniping people? How does a computer deal with WACO? Our current state of AI is so limited it's fucking useless to try and throw those kinds of variables at a machine system.

Guest ezkerraldean

machine technology

what, so everything's mechanised?

who repairs the machines when they break down? what incentive do they have to do it? i mean, they're gonna get free stuff whether they do it or not.

If you ever get close to a human and human behavior, be ready to get confused. There's definitely no logic to human behavior, but yet so irresistible...

There's no map to human behavior. They're terribly moody, then all of a sudden turn happy. But to get involved in the exchange of human emotions is ever so satisfying.

machine technology

what, so everything's mechanised?

who repairs the machines when they break down? what incentive do they have to do it? i mean, they're gonna get free stuff whether they do it or not.

other machines, duh

for anything of this zeitgeist stuff to work, we would need to be very very technologically advanced and along the way we will probably destroy ourselves.

Guest Funktion

if anyone has any further questions about a resource based economy please direct them with regard to the following: robots.

how is this relevant to my life's goal of dying of AIDS in some godforsaken Asian hell-hole?

The robots are making your AIDS.

Archived