IGNORED

Inglourious Basterds

lumpenprol

Guest beatfanatic

I still don't get all the Death Proof hate. Sure, it's no Jackie Brown, but lord have mercy it's a grindhouse flick and seeing Kurt Russel pussy out after he gets shot is comedy gold.

I thought those grindhouse films were just self-indulgent shit we were expected to "get". I am sure lots of people including me have never seen the grindhouse films from back in the day. So to me it came off as something the directors loved back in the day but didnt necessarily think if the audience would get it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't get all the Death Proof hate. Sure, it's no Jackie Brown, but lord have mercy it's a grindhouse flick and seeing Kurt Russel pussy out after he gets shot is comedy gold.

I thought those grindhouse films were just self-indulgent shit we were expected to "get". I am sure lots of people including me have never seen the grindhouse films from back in the day. So to me it came off as something the directors loved back in the day but didnt necessarily think if the audience would get it.

What is there to "get"? They were stories. No hidden meanings. Just a simple homage to the 70's grindhouse era films, with a modern twist. I wasn't around for them originally, but that didn't make it any less easier to enjoy. Diff strokes fo diff folks i guess.

the dialogue in death proof sounded like it was written by sophomore in college who was taking a screenplay class called 'how to make a movie that revolves entirely around your huge ego' I thought the ending of Death proof was enjoyable, but the dialogue between the characters was unbearable and reeked of some of the most cliche poorly written Quentin Tarantino dialogue of his career. ALmost every scene in death proof with talking made me cringe similar to that superman/clark kent speech at the end of kill bill 2

the dialogue in death proof sounded like it was written by sophomore in college who was taking a screenplay class called 'how to make a movie that revolves entirely around your huge ego' I thought the ending of Death proof was enjoyable, but the dialogue between the characters was unbearable and reeked of some of the most cliche poorly written Quentin Tarantino dialogue of his career. ALmost every scene in death proof with talking made me cringe similar to that superman/clark kent speech at the end of kill bill 2

agreed....loved the setup, the characters in principle at least, and the action scenes were fucking hilarious and well shot..but when they sit down and have a conversation its just the pits....why on earth would these group of girls, even though the one is a dj, know about these obscure one-off cheesy 60s folk rock groups? No fucking girl that is that age and looks like that would even care to repeat that information to her best friends, nonetheless know it in the first place. Tarantino rubs himself off too much in the girls, and it shows and makes for really poorly written dialogue.

Guest Shit Attack

i think the intended audience for this film was partly the french seeing as they made it specifically to premiere at the cannes film festival and even includes some bumlicking talk about how the french are the only country that respects film directors (ie tarantino). All wanky film directors want to please the french and get called "auteurs". Its interesting the acting was (apparently) bad I was wondering about that as I doubt tarantino speaks french or german ( I read he had to get people to translate the dialogue for him) so how would he know if they were reading the lines right ? Brad Pitt was bad enough in english.

I enjoyed it a lot. It was sheer fun. Totally unexpected, thought it was going to suck after hearing some reviews.

Yeah, I agree completely, just saw it this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it helped that I kept myself as far away as possible from any info or reviews, the most I knew going in was that it was set in WWII.

ya essines, I need to see it again as well....because it is the best film I have seen this year, next to Drag Me to Hell and few others....QT's best film since Pulp F....and awepittance, FUCK JACKIE BROWN IN ITS BORING ASSCRACK OF A FILM HOLE! fuck Kill Bill as well....IB kicks the shit out of these films...

FUCK JACKIE BROWN IN ITS BORING ASSCRACK OF A FILM HOLE!

seems QT agrees with you, he was really scared of the box office take for Jackie Brown (especially after hiring Deniro his biggest star) so he decided to stop making movies with any subtley whatsoever from that moment forward.

Guest Drahken

Finally got around to seeing this last night and I was blown away. It reminded me of QT's roots in expertly presenting dialogue like in Reservoir Dogs. I've always admired his ability to make a conversation between characters into a movie. You could have cut out all the action and I still would have loved it. It was nice to see him move back towards that format a bit.

Landa was by far my favorite character, the mix of sinister villainy and his charisma/charm made the movie imo.

• 2 months later...

Archived