IGNORED

House Music

Berk

the mix that broke Sasha to a larger audience b4 he went all progressive/epic, also a rare case of an MC actually clicking with a House jock

(plus i was there)

skip to 1min-23secs

https://soundcloud.com/mattyhough100/dj-sasha-universe-92-with-mc-joe-peng-19th-june-1992

What's your/watmms take on progressive house? Just curious. It seems like such a far encompassing style that it's hard to categorize often (which I think makes it exciting).

What comes to mind for me when I think of progressive house stems from when it took off in the early to mid 90s. Of course the cliches-- bell synths/pads, slow builds/transitions, on the darker moodier side with more poetic lyrics and vocals, atmospheric.

It's changed flavor over the years of course. Elements of trance, electro, chill, etc. Really anything can be progressive depending on the structures and attitudes. I'd even call some 80s and early 90s deep house progressive as much of it truly was. Evolving, long, complex, heady.

Nowadays it seems to be hone in more on the Uber clean emotional poppy vocal, with beach/Palm tree asthetics lol. A lot of it is samey and uninspired, but some of it is lush as hell. Maybe far from the spirit of house of course, but often an ambitious excercise in euphoric trance/electro-house tropes and structures.

Can't forget those deep progressive tribal house vibes or tech house. Even minimal.can be progrrssive haha... Fuck me, there's so much progressive stuff out there I would vote to kill the phrase entirely lol.

Edited by Lane Visitor

the mix that broke Sasha to a larger audience b4 he went all progressive/epic, also a rare case of an MC actually clicking with a House jock

(plus i was there)

skip to 1min-23secs

https://soundcloud.com/mattyhough100/dj-sasha-universe-92-with-mc-joe-peng-19th-june-1992

What's your/watmms take on progressive house? Just curious. It seems like such a far encompassing style that it's hard to categorize often (which I think makes it exciting).

What comes to mind for me when I think of progressive house stems from when it took off in the early to mid 90s. Of course the cliches-- bell synths/pads, slow builds/transitions, on the darker moodier side with more poetic lyrics and vocals, atmospheric.

It's changed flavor over the years of course. Elements of trance, electro, chill, etc. Really anything can be progressive depending on the structures and attitudes. I'd even call some 80s and early 90s deep house progressive as much of it truly was. Evolving, long, complex, heady.

Nowadays it seems to be hone in more on the Uber clean emotional poppy vocal, with beach/Palm tree asthetics lol. A lot of it is samey and uninspired, but some of it is lush as hell. Maybe far from the spirit of house of course, but often an ambitious excercise in euphoric trance/electro-house tropes and structures.

a mixed bag like a lot of music depending on labels & jocks, if you're in the mood to dig "Flying Records" & "Guerilla" releases are worth sifting through, but there's a minor caveat (see below)

https://www.discogs.com/label/7260-Flying-Records-UK?page=1&genre=All&limit=500

https://www.discogs.com/label/621-Guerilla

something sketchy happened round about 1994, maybe a collective comedown with certain London music industry types rinsing a sound until it was dead on its feet, but have a rummage for mixes by a DJ called Fabi Paras on Youlube for a taste

unfortunately Progressive (even the tag sounds a tad naff) morphed into the later Sasha/Digweed "Epic" bs that is frankly inexcusable, but Junior Boys Own skirted that sound signature although they were canny enough not to over-indulge it

have a gander at those labels & their releases between inception up to about '94 & there are bound to be bits you'd like, i aint at home so record crate digging isnt possible, but i'm sure you'll navigate what takes yer fancy

the date specific angle isnt nostalgia or snobbery, more that theres a world of shit after a certain time period & life's too short

Figured I'd spam my mix thread here, lots of classic and modern house, check it out!

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/95058-very-old-member-idi-amin-new-mixes/

cheers ears, will give these a rinse this week!

(plus i was there)

skip to 1min-23secs

a mixed bag like a lot of music depending on labels & jocks, if you're in the mood to dig "Flying Records" & "Guerilla" releases are worth sifting through, but there's a minor caveat (see below)

https://www.discogs.com/label/7260-Flying-Records-UK?page=1&genre=All&limit=500

https://www.discogs.com/label/621-Guerilla

something sketchy happened round about 1994, maybe a collective comedown with certain London music industry types rinsing a sound until it was dead on its feet, but have a rummage for mixes by a DJ called Fabi Paras on Youlube for a taste

unfortunately Progressive (even the tag sounds a tad naff) morphed into the later Sasha/Digweed "Epic" bs that is frankly inexcusable, but Junior Boys Own skirted that sound signature although they were canny enough not to over-indulge it

have a gander at those labels & their releases between inception up to about '94 & there are bound to be bits you'd like, i aint at home so record crate digging isnt possible, but i'm sure you'll navigate what takes yer fancy

the date specific angle isnt nostalgia or snobbery, more that theres a world of shit after a certain time period & life's too short

Figured I'd spam my mix thread here, lots of classic and modern house, check it out!

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/95058-very-old-member-idi-amin-new-mixes/

cheers ears, will give these a rinse this week!

Nice... Thanks for the links- will definitely check those out. Speaking of Guerilla Records, I stumbled into this LP today. Really great acid prog house. Kinda like a more contemporary and minimal version of 808 state. groovy one around 25:14

Also, kinda unrelated, been rocking this. In love with the EP

Edited by Lane Visitor

Sasha just mixed Fabric 99 and Its actually pretty good apart from the vocal breaks track at the end of the mix which is apparently a new tune off his label.

I wonder who will be on charge for #100...

probably Craig Richards I'd guess, or maybe a few discs.

It's also the last in the series.

His podcast for Resident Advisor from last year was insane (3 hours anyway, a true club set), so this would be good news.

I loved deep hypnotic prog house. I was a bedrock regular 15 years back, still enjoy Digweeds transitions podcasts now. It all went off the boil around 10 years ago when minimal took over but I'm glad to see a lot of the melodies returning to the music.

Best example of the prog I loved ever:

Also Satoshi Tomiie and his Saw Recordings label, deep and dark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it has already been posted before...

Huge album from South Africa, pure Chicago house feeling, full of soul music: Dr. Duda & Dr. M-Bee "House Prescription" (2006)

Dunno, usually I find house music repelling in many ways. But this mix together with that video is alright, also it evokes memories of a phenylethylamine plus cannabinoid overdose I've had a year or so ago. It was not good but good

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...