IGNORED

House Music

Berk

Ovum's catalog is summat else, one thing for JW to break through commercially as a name jock/producer, something else to push through so much other talent, a label where nigh on every release is worth an attentive listen

Europe is constantly creating producers who keep things fresh....Belgium, Holland, Norway, Sweden & Germany always represent, Todd Terje, LIindstrom & Prins Thomas cornered the disco re-edit market & Jesper Dahlback/The Persuader has an enviable deep House catalog b4 he went down some bangier tangent

going through crates of olde Playhouse, Perlon bits, random 12"s bought from Rush Hour records & the genius that was Svek recently.... their quality control was/is up there

https://www.discogs.com/label/5-Svek?page=1&genre=All&limit=100

plenty of good new gear coming thru, Nachtbraker's releases are sweet as fk, this takes a few minutes to transition, but when it does

What exactly epitomizes house music for you guys? Over the last 20+ years house is deep dish, James Zabiela, Sasha, Digweed, etc for me. =/

Wait... James Lavelle, UNKLE, Dave Seaman....

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Hall is from Detroit so you can expect some variation across the 4/4 spectrum in terms of mood

What exactly epitomizes house music for you guys? Over the last 20+ years house is deep dish, James Zabiela, Sasha, Digweed, etc for me. =/

the irony is for a few years between 1989 & 1992 Sasha's gigs were quality, there are masses of old tape conversions online to prove the point, then the commercial wave broke, he saddled oop with Digweed & the rest as you suggest was unadulterated toilet water.....here's one mix just b4 he got drunk on fame

however, if the gimps you've outlined are your yard-schtick then i feel sorry for you, cos yer being lazy, clearly not digging deep enough in the crates & are missing out on some timeless music, your loss maaaaaaaaaaaaaan

being spoon fed music is a laggard's modus operandi

Hall is from Detroit so you can expect some variation across the 4/4 spectrum in terms of mood

the irony is for a few years between 1989 & 1992 Sasha's gigs were quality, there are masses of old tape conversions online to prove the point, then the commercial wave broke, he saddled oop with Digweed & the rest as you suggest was unadulterated toilet water.....here's one mix just b4 he got drunk on fame

however, if the gimps you've outlined are your yard-schtick then i feel sorry for you, cos yer being lazy, clearly not digging deep enough in the crates & are missing out on some timeless music, your loss maaaaaaaaaaaaaan

being spoon fed music is a laggard's modus operandi

what's wrong with deep dish? theyre one of my favs from that era. great progressive house productions and mixes. 

also this little sasha ep from 99 was actually a random purchase of mine from best buy when i was like 16 lol.. still think its brilliant. 

but who cares if artists/djs or certain sounds got more popular in certain eras? if it moves people and grooves, it's all good. speaking of deep dish, i think flashdance and that one they did with fleetwood mac singer from george is on lp were the most commercial stuff they ever managed to do, and though the results werent my fav they were far from mindless dance pop. dont limit yourself man, just cuz an artist has more of an audience than they originally did doesn't mean they're all of the sudden garbage. yes, there are artists and djs (more recent david guetta / tiesto comes to mind) who just got super cheesy when fame got to them and you can hear it in their work, but its not a hard and fast rule for everyone.  

Edited by Lane Visitor

Its not limiting, its a focus on not buying into sell outs & their wanky, plastic, disposable art....just see the Hipster House thread for a new invigorated take on "nu-wank"

With Sasha, the popularity explosion ran parallel to a huge drop off in quality, so there was and is a specific relationship with "The Man Like...."

If '99 was your Sasha pick up point and you havent listened to early Sasha mixes to hear just how good he could be, then maybe you'd be better off un-limiting your own chronological focus & dig a lil deeper, so his post 92/93 heresy can be put into some kind of understandable context. That Xspazzder tune is dog shit, nuffink personal, but prog was & isnt House, see Dave Seaman & Digweed as primo examples.

The mid 90's transition includes a lot of names to be shamed, people who played wank because they were chasing coin, not for the love of the music. The entire House scene was better for it...cleared out a lot of trash & let the impoverished sheep follow the herd.....happened again w/Trance, or to put it another way chances are the whole EDM nightmare wouldnt have evolved as such if these pillocks werent as busy as they were selling their souls.

i wasnt panning Deep Dish, they had their shit together for about.... all of 18months, then sold out, voila...another example.

if you want producers from DC who really maintained a level of quality control (that Deep Dish could never hope for), check 95 North's Doug Smith & Richard Peyton for grooves:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/6847-95-North

One name to illustrate how good House music can still be is Lord Sabre himself, Andrew mf Weatherall. Someone who can weave thru acid House, headfuck electronica, Fila Brazilia style chilled goodness and cosmic disco without recourse to insipid, McDonalds-esque money chasing lameness. His mixes are as good a gauge of where House is & the cunt is still rocking it @ 50+ yrs of age. A Weatherall gig is still something to have faith in and the music will be immense. Zero hipster bollix with this cat & thank the gods for it.

Its not limiting, its a focus on not buying into sell outs & their wanky, plastic, disposable art....just see the Hipster House thread for a new invigorated take on "nu-wank"

With Sasha, the popularity explosion ran parallel to a huge drop off in quality, so there was and is a specific relationship with "The Man Like...."

If '99 was your Sasha pick up point and you havent listened to early Sasha mixes to hear just how good he could be, then maybe you'd be better off un-limiting your own chronological focus & dig a lil deeper, so his post 92/93 heresy can be put into some kind of understandable context. That Xspazzder tune is dog shit, nuffink personal, but prog was & isnt House, see Dave Seaman & Digweed as primo examples.

The mid 90's transition includes a lot of names to be shamed, people who played wank because they were chasing coin, not for the love of the music. The entire House scene was better for it...cleared out a lot of trash & let the impoverished sheep follow the herd.....happened again w/Trance, or to put it another way chances are the whole EDM nightmare wouldnt have evolved as such if these pillocks werent as busy as they were selling their souls.

i wasnt panning Deep Dish, they had their shit together for about.... all of 18months, then sold out, voila...another example.

if you want producers from DC who really maintained a level of quality control (that Deep Dish could never hope for), check 95 North's Doug Smith & Richard Peyton for grooves:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/6847-95-North

One name to illustrate how good House music can still be is Lord Sabre himself, Andrew mf Weatherall. Someone who can weave thru acid House, headfuck electronica, Fila Brazilia style chilled goodness and cosmic disco without recourse to insipid, McDonalds-esque money chasing lameness. His mixes are as good a gauge of where House is & the cunt is still rocking it @ 50+ yrs of age. A Weatherall gig is still something to have faith in and the music will be immense. Zero hipster bollix with this cat & thank the gods for it.

I feel you man regarding classic, straightforward and underground house music, no doubt. Some of the names you mention I'm unfamiliar with but believe every word as you seem to have a vast knowledge of authentic house music. My love of dance and specifically house may not get quite as obscure / crate digging wise, but ive been into it now since high school and its not going anywhere haha. But as much as im shamelessly into the mainstream stuff (from daft punk to disclosure), I have just as much love and admiration for everyone from louie vega, mr fingers, ralphi rosario, armand van helden, eric morillo, miguel migs and on and on (seriously the list doesnt stop), to everyone in between. As you can see my house flavors of choice tend to be the deep and funky / soulful variety. I love me some jacking, acid, oldschool, chicago but i always go back to that filter house vibe :) prob why im kinda stuck in the mid 90s to early 2000s era. Hey your opnion is your opinion re: that xpander trk and ill agree its more progressive trance than anything but hey it spoke to my 16 yr old self (who at the time was alive and thriving to the sounds of atb, alice deejay, but also rdj, chemical brothers, crystal method, alllll the mainstream dance shit you can think of it -along with all the obscure hard house/prog/trance stuff id hear at raves with friends--ahh y2k, so for me something like that sasha ep diversified my already growing tastes.)

It might be my age of exposure and location (phx az) at the time but hed kandi was the label i discovered that really got me into dance music (back when they still had a uniqueness). Bought their Welcome to the Acid Lounge comp and never looked back (though that was an oddity on the label - downtempo / chillout that bridged the gap between portishead / massive attack with the dining rooms, k&d, gotan project etc. Its no wonder i fell hard for mushroom jazz series shortly after, then dimitri from paris' mixes, then nude tempo, om, salted records etc etc.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Oh and ps im with u on most of the stuff in that "hipster house" thread. That style of music is not really even house, its mostly an uninspired hodgepodge of lo fi techno / atmospheric / dub / leftfield with the occasional vinyl house sample lol .. With that said i did stumble into several pretty hot tracks in there but nothing timeless to me.

i know this is an electronica forum, but House is in that area & thats what irks, that theres so much incredible music available, volcano vape helps

New York like you say & New Jersey too have bred top notch producers and jocks who can nail a 12hr set, its one reason to love American music in this realm cos at its core it never compromised, there are always 1 or 2 egos, but a lot of these folks are still going strong....check Jovonn from NJ, fkn bumping, just organs, a signature semi-gospel male vocal loop (they layer them well too) and just enough compression to bring up the thump on the bottom end (fkn youlube quality)

Classic get a fist-bump for the boompty boomp

7904.jpg

Losoul's Peter Kremeier has demolished huge rigs with his take on what some of those hipster tracks seem to be aiming for somewhere some how, but falling short, loads of gems,

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1531-LoSoul

Since the millennium Melchior Productions has kicked on, productions that are always worth a delve into

https://www.discogs.com/artist/20115-Melchior-Productions

even Laid's Punch Up is 16yrs old, savagely scary as it still feels relatively new, bounces through a decent rig too

House nation!

and thats why your opinion is irrelevant

there's obviously some underlying issues under this constant irate ranting over what is probably the blandest most boring music genre in contemporary history. No one can care this much about house. What's going on cwmbran

Edited by span

there's obviously some underlying issues under this constant irate ranting over what is probably the blandest most boring music genre in contemporary history. No one can care this much about house. What's going on cwmbran

Bit uncalled for. What sort of music are you passionate about?

@ spanner - if 1 of modern music's more timeless genres doesnt register or resonate with you, thats your problem friend, go buy the latest DJ Boring banger or whatever other disposable guff passes for cool n the gang bs you pass yer time with

there's no point outlining anything to some autistic child who doesnt wanna learn what they dont wanna know, so i'll keep it to the tunes & let them speak

ease-e!

Edited by cwmbrancity

everyone needs to simmer down lol. i will say that with watmm, i have come to expect a certain level of music snobbery, and ive even engaged in it to an extent. ill also say that some of the snobbery as annoying as it can be has pushed me to dig a little deeper sometimes to discover some truly great stuff and reminds me time and time again of something i already know but we can all easily forget- that a good majority of a lot of commercial music is surface and cheap... (important keyword - good majority- there's always exceptions, and when those exceptions do occur (daft punk, the strokes, bjork, nin, etc etc), its a great thing-- real art from talented artists managing to speak to / entertain the masses, sizing up to everyone's good meter, whether underground or mainstreamer. it's a unique position, and the ability for artists like that and their teams/labels to be able to walk the balance of art and commerce while maintaining an undisturbed identity and keeping integrity, is a whole nother layer of art in itself, i dont care what anyone says. so the next person that rips on recent reznor (i know im guilty of here and there) needs to keep in mind what he has been able to accomplish. that said, demeaning people's taste or lack of taste in music in general (or anything artistic/subjective stuff for that matter) is never cool and usually pretty futile.  

Edited by Lane Visitor

96% of House is toss & the rise of digi-only labels & releases diluted things even more severely in terms of quality control during the noughties, but, and its a big but, in among that 4% are some juicy juicy tunes

its the same with most genres, but to dismiss House wholesale means some1 hasn't really been exposed to that much good House to begin with & their perspective is mainly predicated on skewed ignorance....thats the only issue & in the big scheme of things it doesnt matter anyway

meanwhile & nearly 30yrs old, when Manchester rivaled any city in the world for music production & night-life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDEFtJIjy0

and across the Pennines:

edit: also, all that said, different strains of dance music is extremely subjective and depends often on mood. for example, if im one day feeling like hearing something gritty and deep and if im tried of the common radio waves and common people and common atmospheres and have a desire to find interesting stuff, ill dig for some underground house, obscure techno or dnb or something. but if im feeling like discovering what ppl are listening to lately or if im feeling like i have cabin fever and need to hear something familiar or connect with society, ill check out some big music blogs or the beatport charts or soundcloud channels, or sometimes even turn on the radio which is getting harder and harder to do these days, cuz it seems like pop music is de-evolving but anyway, yeah its all just dependent on what im feeling.  

This is not passion. Look, the good old days of house are not going to go away just because young people today are bastardizing the genre. Those years are not coming back. If DJ Seinfeld and DJ Ashlee Simpson Fucking Up At SNL weren't here, if they weren't bastardizing the genre, if they weren't making the most awful of shit music, that wouldn't change a thing either. They're not holding anything back, they're not delaying or holding back some kind of REAL House resurgence. Those years are over. You're not gonna be young anymore, you're not gonna experience what you experienced back then anymore. And denying people the right to have fun and be excited about new things isn't going to give you back that right either. The party is over, the House Sun is setting and we're dancing and stomping on the corpse of the people that once danced under that light. If I were you I'd redirect my efforts towards nu-metal. Korn are back on that old school shit, Slipknot are still going, System Of A Down and Limp Bizkit both have albums in the works. What a time to be alive

96% of House is toss & the rise of digi-only labels & releases diluted things even more severely in terms of quality control during the noughties, but, and its a big but, in among that 4% are some juicy juicy tunes

its the same with most genres, but to dismiss House wholesale means some1 hasn't really been exposed to that much good House to begin with & their perspective is mainly predicated on skewed ignorance....thats the only issue & in the big scheme of things it doesnt matter anyway

meanwhile & nearly 30yrs old, when Manchester rivaled any city in the world for music production & night-life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDEFtJIjy0

and across the Pennines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOrq28tYKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpZVPSCv79U

love guy called gerald and of course all 808 state stuff (who im obsessed with - my wife just bought me pacific state on vinyl - the numbered ltd record day pressing. sooo stoked. in love with that baby. but yeah damn, that guy called gerald track is some tasty vibes. the 2nd lfo one, i recognize from the warp records comp that i discovered a while back if i remember correctly, we are reasonable people, that came with the warp dvd i bought. such a brilliant track.

speaking of early warp, also love this bad boy... couldnt find the black strobe edit which is awesome, but the orig will do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSpHqbiCNIQ

Edited by Lane Visitor

If I were you I'd redirect my efforts towards nu-metal. Korn are back on that old school shit, Slipknot are still going, System Of A Down and Limp Bizkit both have albums in the works. What a time to be alive

Ahahahaha! Nice trolling.