IGNORED

Ghost Box Subforum

Caretstik

i got an e-mail from ghost box. it says house is working on a revised edition of 'hey let loose your love'. i'd have preferred a revised edition of 'sketches and spells' personally (that's my favorite focus group album) or something new but oh well. belbury tales is still one of the most impressive records i've heard all year so i'm very happy.

the world would boil over for me if either roj or eric zann came out with some new though.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

GBX709+600.jpg

The Next Ghost Box Study Series 7" and download, Number 9: "Projections", is due out on 28th June.

New York's Listening Center enrol for the Study Series and present a powerful analogue electronic epic, Titoli. Pye Corner Audio appear on the B side and take Listening Center's "Town of Tomorrow" for a spin across the dusty dancefloor of a deserted dance hall.

https://soundcloud.com/ghost-box/sets/study-series-09-projections

this sounds really really really good

Edited by Nebraska

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a policy of some sort at GB that artists should have a first or last name begin with a J?

Looking forward to this stuff...

The new Study Series 7" is the best in ages. Has anyone tried the Listening Center album? Got Ghost Box written all over it. And I can't wait for the John Foxx collab, his stuff as or with The Maths (whichever) is amazing, Benge must be the Godfather to all vintage synth geeks.

The new Study Series 7" is the best in ages. Has anyone tried the Listening Center album? Got Ghost Box written all over it. And I can't wait for the John Foxx collab, his stuff as or with The Maths (whichever) is amazing, Benge must be the Godfather to all vintage synth geeks.

I listened to the Listening Center LP on bandcamp a month or so ago. I agree it is very GB, but felt a little samey...should give it another listen, I suppose

Bloody ace, going to the Curzon to watch this film tonight - I hope that music makes it to the actual film, sounds lovely !

EDIT: It did, right in the closing chapter. Ace !

272662973-1.jpg

jim jupp said these guys will be releasing an album on ghost box in the winter. not sure if anyone else is familiar with them, but i got their first album (harmonium) and really loved it. i found their (earlier) sounds to be a more poppier take on library and psych music, like a less darker broadcast- i never was able to get my hands on celeste but their new sound seems to have developed into a more focused library/soundtrack and komische exercise.

https://soundcloud.com/thesoundcarriers/instro-track

oh and check that beautiful artwork.

Edited by Nebraska

Making of the soundtrack to A Field In England -

(Contains scenes from the film - so is a bit of a spoiler for those that want to see it 'blindly' )

• 2 months later...

GBX019EP+800.jpg

This September on Ghost Box...

this seems to have been completely ignored. listening to it right now and honestly not sure how i feel.

i love GB but i really don't like their vocal work (last one was from hintermass) and this one trudges along on the same vein. at time it sounds like something david lynch would do- except the lyrics aren't as interesting or memorable (at least to me).

the production is more in the vein of 'earth lights' from the belbury tales, not just one song, but every song sounds like that. except the last song (remixed by pye audio corner) which is, surprisingly, the best one- because of his style of production with reverb it makes sense to have the vocoded and heavily echoed vocals on top.

overall: not feeling this one

• 3 months later...

How has it taken me this long to listen to Ghostbox stuff? Bought pretty much the entire Pye Corner Audio discography yesterday and I am absolutely loving what I have heard so far.

Any recommendations for who I should check out after? I'm not exactly flush with cash so it's probably a very bad time for me to get into a 'new' label, but feck it, music is my drug.

Edited by Ifeelspace

Check out The Advisory Circle asap. Pretty much everything Jon Brooks does is great.

Cheers. I caved yesterday and bought Belbury Poly's stuff, which I am also having a blast listening to. Will go for The Advisory Circle stuff next. Seems like I will have to pretty much buy everything that label has put out!

I wonder if the aesthetic of this music has the same effect on people bought up in the 90s. Do they 'get it'/enjoy it in the same way as kids of the 70s/80s.?

Edited by Ifeelspace

• 1 year later...

Yeah wtf blog started in 2013, I know the whole disoriented-reinterpretation-of-a-nonexistent-past-through-bbc-library-music is far from new but this is a pretty blatant appropriation of the GB aesthetic. Biters gonna bite but fuck this guy for raking in undeserved originality points from lazy media aggregators. Also under the "Reception" heading of that wiki article the phony praise attributed to DJ Food (Kev) is a ridiculous paraphrasing of what he actually wrote (i.e., his wife remarking that the "From Out Here" cover art reminded her of the book).

Scarfolk is a town in North West England that did not progress beyond 1979. Instead, the entire decade of the 1970s loops ad infinitum. Here in Scarfolk, pagan rituals blend seamlessly with science; hauntology is a compulsory subject at school, and everyone must be in bed by 8pm because they are perpetually running a slight fever. "Visit Scarfolk today. Our number one priority is keeping rabies at bay." For more information please reread.

What a pile of wank. On a more positive note From Out Here is a great album.