IGNORED

Ghost Box Subforum

Caretstik

I like the Scarfolk blog, it's not as though Ghost Box have a monopoly on the weirder end of English '70s nostalgia, plus there's links to Belbury Poly and Ghost Box, etc, at the bottom. Credit where credit's due and all that. Most of the shopped posters and what have you are really well done, and it's cool to see someone rolling with that aesthetic in a primarily visual/text-based format, seeing as Belbury Poly et al have the musical angle covered.

I like the Scarfolk blog, it's not as though Ghost Box have a monopoly on the weirder end of English '70s nostalgia, plus there's links to Belbury Poly and Ghost Box, etc, at the bottom. Credit where credit's due and all that. Most of the shopped posters and what have you are really well done, and it's cool to see someone rolling with that aesthetic in a primarily visual/text-based format, seeing as Belbury Poly et al have the musical angle covered.

I agree, Scarfolk is good fun, I'd suggest you give it a go if this is a scene that you are interested in. If anything rather than Ghost Box it's inspired by the frightening health and safety videos of that era.

I agree, Scarfolk is good fun, I'd suggest you give it a go if this is a scene that you are interested in. If anything rather than Ghost Box it's inspired by the frightening health and safety videos of that era.

advisory circle did loads of PIF tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

The Scarfolk blog is great. I just got the book "Discovering Scarfolk" and it's super duper lovely. There's a place in my world for both Scarfolk and Ghost Box. I think the Central Office of Information was doing all of this long before these two anyway...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

this "interview" gave me a good chortle. public service broadcasting think ghostbox takes their musical output very seriously "with furrowed eyebrows".

one reason i never enjoyed this band is because i find their music too serious and lacking the kind of humor i enjoy. i wonder if they think belbury is a real place too

Edited by Nebraska

this "interview" gave me a good chortle. public service broadcasting think ghostbox takes their musical output very seriously "with furrowed eyebrows".

one reason i never enjoyed this band is because i find their music too serious and lacking the kind of humor i enjoy. i wonder if they think belbury is a real place too

I was on the bandwagon until I read the Norman review, which was spot on. They really suck live. Trading in on NASA kitsch that the UK had nothing to do with. Lazy 3 chord rock with samples covering their lack of vocals. Trendy today, gone tomorrow.

the Brit angle is 1 thing, but there was stacks of audio strangeness produced in the 70's globally

there are some superb sounds to pilfer and researching audio archaeology conjures "the past in the present" into (almost) infinite possibilities, both in theory & practice

if you narrow things down too much eventually things sound contrived/trite

Edited by cwmbrancity

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Blimey, this old thread's still alive!

http://www.thetowner.com/nothing-ever-happens-here/

article by jim. it's excellent. fuckin quatermass yessssssssssssssss

Quatermass (as I've no doubt mentioned a million times before) was one of my first points of reference when I first encountered Ghost Box. Being a child of the 70s it was the John Miills serial which initially sprang to mind, although in my teens I did come to love the earlier stories through buying the paperbacks of the scripts. Nice to see a nod to The Daemons in there too. Pity Nigel Kneale apparently hated Who so much even though many of the Pertwee stories borrowed from Quatermass so heavily.

Bought this a while back, not yet read in full thoughL http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe/the-twilight-language-of-nigel-kneale/.

And just for the record, mere weeks left to wait for 'New Ways Out'!

EDIT: Fuck, I actually bought that book a few years ago because of the tape that came with it, which is ace. Best get my arse in gear.

Edited by Caretstik

• 4 months later...