IGNORED

i can't get into metal

vamos scorcho

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

opeth vary greatly from album to album, try damnation or still life. quality prog metal at its finest.

or the live album the roundhouse tapes gives you a nice spread of hard and soft tracks plus some banter from the guys, i highly rec.

do it.

i'm checking out opeth again right now. forgot to mention that i also love maudlin of the well. that, kayo dot, and converge are the three metal bands with albums i might include in a list of my favorites of all time.

maudlin makes me feel so strange. some of the weirdest melodies and structures.. Bath is like being trapped in September

I meant to say Leaving Your Body Map

trenchcoat music.

Lol.

Opeth, Isis & Mastodon.

Fuck Damnation is one of the finest albums ever, but it's not metal.

OK so I'm listening to Damnation right now and I must say this is one of the best album's I've heard in months. Thank you so, so much for the recommendation guys. Didn't realize that Opeth was this great. It's kind of the "Mew" phenomenon. At first it might sound cheesy but if you get into the mood it's setting then it's incredibly enjoyable.

I'm going to be listening to this album a ton this fall, definitely.

not that personality is a huge matter in whether music is good but...

of metal bands that i've had the pleasure of seeing, and then meeting after the show Opeth are by far the "nicest" and seem to not have very inflated egos. They even seemed concerned with whether we (the staff that worked at the venue) thought their show was good or not, and were all smiles when we responded that it indeed kicked ass (it was sold out too). I don't know much about who's who in the band but they were all just really cool and down to earth. Whereas a lot of metal bands are like uber assholes, stuck up, don't give a crap attitudes and are generally very rude to the staff and fans that don't have their tits out (and they are mean to those too sometimes)

also between the buried and me, kreator, and Unearth are all really cool ppl (and i like all their music)

I really want to recommend strapping young lad, but they can def. get into yelling type stuff, but the music is so epic.

Actually if you like Dillinger a bit check out unearth,. they may be a lil too much "new style" but they are all really talented, and it isn't as screamy.

And check out kreator if you like thrash (they really shouldve been included in the anthrax, metallica, slayer, megadeth 'thrash metal 4')

edit: unearth is prolly too "scream/yelly" 4 u...a lot of times when i listen to them if i can get in the mood, i wish their music was just instrumental. I feel this way with a lot of metal and don't like a lot of screaming/yelling.

yeah i don't understand the vocals. some metal would be so much more enjoyable if it was just instrumental. kind of like jazz - entirely focused on the compositions. what the fuck is the shouting about half the time? it can definitely detract from what otherwise could have been an insanely interesting composition.

metal has rules like jazz has rules - fast, loud, distorted, solos, scales. i think if people went at it like jazz musicians go at jazz, except without vocals, it would be more enjoyable.

also i like neurosis somewhat. i'm realizing i like a lot more metal than i thought.

children of bodom and dimmu borgir are both awesome as hell, but then again do the screaming here and there. But muscially they are fantastic. They both have a kind of skinny puppy, industrial vibe in their music and vocal effects.

If you can ignore what an inexplicable asshat he is, there's always Yngwie Malmsteen. Truly talented, epic songs, and instrumentals. BUt good god if there's ever been a metal musician that is an asshole, he is the winner. He refused to play at this guy i worked for's club b/c he didn't have room in the dressing room to layout a "30 foot buffet of gourmet cheeses, breads, and wines". So he canceled the gig at the last minute leaving the guy i worked for fucked.

Dimmu Borgir, you've prolly heard this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Xw21hnEgs

Guest analogue wings

If you can ignore what an inexplicable asshat he is, there's always Yngwie Malmsteen. Truly talented, epic songs, and instrumentals.

So much fail. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

If you can ignore what an inexplicable asshat he is, there's always Yngwie Malmsteen. Truly talented, epic songs, and instrumentals.

So much fail. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

whats the fail? Him being an asshole or me saying he's talented. Cuz he is indeed talented, even if he plays with a scalloped neck and it's typically older classical stuff the he didn't write made into metal style songs. He does sing on some tracks, and that is def. fail.

dream theater

YES

Guest analogue wings

Talent:

Something innate that you are born with. The ability to innovate with seemingly no effort.

Skill:

Widdlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddly.

Confusing the two:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

one of my former guitar teachers had the malmsteen start with the scalloped neck and it was indeed nice, and definatley kind of like "cheating" but who cares. Some would say a Diezel Herbert or vh4 is cheating. Actually the big thing with guitarists these days is "Axe fx" which is awesome.

Talent:

Something innate that you are born with. The ability to innovate with seemingly no effort.

Skill:

Widdlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddly.

Confusing the two:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

blah

I hate everything surrounding music and especially guitar opinions. Makes me want to bash my head into the wall. Everything is nothing. I'm talented at my skills then and my skills show off my talent.

Malmsteens chest hair is pretty innovative :sorcerer:

you're not a good guitarist unless you own a real gibson les paul and a marshall amp (two things I do not like one bit). So count me out. Everyone's got different levels of what they do and how they do it so the old' who's the best guitarist thing drives me insane. I think everyone is good at what they do if they make the effort to get out of bed and do it.

Guest analogue wings

Here's some good metal for the OP. It's all old. Interpret this fact any way you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4E22TUb1Y

I love the way the bassist somehow makes his ridiculously trebly active 5 string sound evil. It sounds like an evil rat is nibbling on your toes while you headbang to the sweet riffs or something.

Also, Alex Skolnik's one and only good solo. His solos are normally all HAY GUYZ IM REALLY A FUSION GUITARIST SLUMMING IT WITH DIS METAL BAND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHA0GuvgbEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPKHw8Hx7Rk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtsD2tBPZgo

Guest Calx Sherbet

metal isn't that bad. screamcore or whatever the fuck all this new shit is is fucking awful though. 100% of it.

yes. i can take the death growl any day over that

Boris is worth checking out, they've touched upon a ton of different metal genres: stoner, sludge, drone, even a bit of Jesu-esque shoegaze on their album Pink. I'd also check out Neurosis.

I hate to say it, but Dethklok might be a good place to start. If you like an excellent parody/homage of metal, then there is metal out there you'll enjoy.

Archived