IGNORED

i can't get into metal

vamos scorcho

metal isn't that bad. screamcore or whatever the fuck all this new shit is is fucking awful though. 100% of it.

yes. i can take the death growl any day over that

FUCK YEAH

Seriously though, I even prefer just more normal, even rather restrained singining. I hate the whole whine-core scene that showed up in the 2000s, that same fanbase is what fucked up emo hardcore as well (i.e. jimmy world, braid, sunny day real estate, etc.) and led to bullshit like taking back sunday, fallout boy, the final metaphorical stake driven into "alternative" rock. If you're going to make metal genuinely brutal, dark, depressing, and just straight up fucked up the last thing you should do is make a overproduced track of a suburban raised lameass prick screaming in mulitiple takes.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i don't understand the vocals. some metal would be so much more enjoyable if it was just instrumental. kind of like jazz - entirely focused on the compositions. what the fuck is the shouting about half the time? it can definitely detract from what otherwise could have been an insanely interesting composition.

metal has rules like jazz has rules - fast, loud, distorted, solos, scales. i think if people went at it like jazz musicians go at jazz, except without vocals, it would be more enjoyable.

also i like neurosis somewhat. i'm realizing i like a lot more metal than i thought.

there is a lot of metal out there without the scream/growl vocals, or at least where those vocals occur it's alongside quite nice melodic vocals. it's just part of the genre really, it took me a while to get used to it but now i quite like it.

if you're into neurosis, i highly suggest you check out these bands:

isis (highly inspired by neurosis but with a bit more of a melodic post-rock edge in their latest stuff)

cult of luna (same as above but more epic)

pelican (raw, slow, post-rock influenced instrumental metal)

the ocean (mostly melodic vocals and very good songwriting)

the post-metal genre is huge at the moment, which is a great thing because i freakin' love it!

also the latest mastodon album is amazing, though it's pretty prog and may be a little impenetrable at first - though i see you're getting into opeth so you might be used to it hehe.

oh! and you have to check out textures as well (mostly their latest album 'silhouettes'). some of the passages in their songs are a little 'poppy', but they make up for it by combining it with technical metal and ambient electronic music.

Guest tv_party

OMG! How did i forgot about crotchduster! They are total win!

I seriously think this is the greatest song ever recorded

haha yeah I forgot about crotchduster.

Guest AOOproductions

agreed, but thats the whole scene... you either get it or you don't. Same goes for hip hop and raves...

cool avatar. the way i see it metal is like music for social rejects and hip hop is music for the people. i say that half jokingly

Yeah but there are totally huge social rejects who listen to Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, and slug...

Opeth, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon, Pantera, Strapping Young Lad --all metal bands with great vocalists. I agree that there is way to much of the same in metal, but the same can be said for most genres. I like the "RRRRUGH RRRAUGHNGH" vocals in a few bands who do it particularly well... I can't really picture much else fitting Meshuggah's music for instance.

this is one of the funniest things i've read in a while.

that said i don't completely agree but i do lean that direction somewhat.

i think he sort of misses the point that many people just like to get blazed and listen to crazy shit.

everybody likes diff stuff. Based on what you said you already dig, you might like older candiria. like...surrealistic madness, process of self development and beyond reasonable doubt are all intensely original stuff. Esp if you like freakishly good drummers and odd time sigs

post a good you tube example. i am intrigued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuxZ9o8mIVc

If I don't hear some quality metal soon, I'm giving up on the genre completely.

(btw I like Meshuggah)

EDIT: Isis? (vocals won't blow tits though)

you don't like the vocals in isis songs?

definitely have a listen to textures though, they're like a melodic version of meshuggah. it's almost as though meshuggah have created a genre of metal and textures are expanding on it (i'm not saying they're better or worse than meshuggah, just different).

everybody likes diff stuff. Based on what you said you already dig, you might like older candiria. like...surrealistic madness, process of self development and beyond reasonable doubt are all intensely original stuff. Esp if you like freakishly good drummers and odd time sigs

post a good you tube example. i am intrigued.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cuxZ9o8mIVc

not fuckin bad. I be downloadin I reckon. the 2nd vid took place not far from where I live now (4-5) miles, but i lived around chi then...

I quite like black, death and gore metal.

I can also do the sick low pitched guttural death metal vocals as well as your normal high pitched black metal screeches. It's really awesome to talk to my mates with the guttural voice.

yeah i don't understand the vocals. some metal would be so much more enjoyable if it was just instrumental. kind of like jazz - entirely focused on the compositions. what the fuck is the shouting about half the time? it can definitely detract from what otherwise could have been an insanely interesting composition.

metal has rules like jazz has rules - fast, loud, distorted, solos, scales. i think if people went at it like jazz musicians go at jazz, except without vocals, it would be more enjoyable.

also i like neurosis somewhat. i'm realizing i like a lot more metal than i thought.

there is a lot of metal out there without the scream/growl vocals, or at least where those vocals occur it's alongside quite nice melodic vocals. it's just part of the genre really, it took me a while to get used to it but now i quite like it.

if you're into neurosis, i highly suggest you check out these bands:

isis (highly inspired by neurosis but with a bit more of a melodic post-rock edge in their latest stuff)

cult of luna (same as above but more epic)

pelican (raw, slow, post-rock influenced instrumental metal)

the ocean (mostly melodic vocals and very good songwriting)

the post-metal genre is huge at the moment, which is a great thing because i freakin' love it!

this.

plus

Russian Circles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZ4z662v5w

Caspian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMdvdpHph9U

Red Sparowes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgif6O74QeA

Archived