IGNORED

New here. First question.

Guest SoundPermutation

Guest SoundPermutation

What is a good simple cell sequencer? fruity loops? mabe something lighter where i can change the sound in each sequence line and modify the cells like in a piano.

I think what you are talking about is piano roll. Where X is time and Y is different sounds, and you draw the drums in with a mouse or play them live with a keyboard or a mix of the two etc... if this is the case pretty much any standard daw will do. Might as well throw it out there that Ableton can fold the piano keys to only show the ones that have samples in them which makes things a bit easier.

If you are talking about something else, you might want to google Vectory for Reaktor which gives you quite a bit more control over morphable grids which represent various parameters of the drums you are sequencing.

The lot of you are conformist nazi's btw.

Guest Wall Bird

Are you asking about the ability to divide an existing sequence into multiple parts which you could then rearrange/duplicate/manipulate? If so, pretty much any DAW can do that.

I don't understand this try fruity loops or reaper shit. reaper is absolutely nothing like fruity loops. I tried it and thought it was rubbish - ok it looked alright for multi tracking audio files, but it's midi sequencing capabilities and interface is very poor. fruity loops has the best and easiest to use sequencer of any DAW imo.

yeah the midi editing in reaper is a bit retarded

although it gets easier and faster when you know the right keys for stuff

if you want to select a group of notes for instance, you need to use the right mouse button instead of the left one

and if you want to select the painted notes from one particular tone like you can do in ableton you need to press that key in the piano roll with the right mouse button instead of the left one

although it gets easier and faster when you know the right keys for stuff

Same with most DAWs. sysex on the board has been using logic for 9 years and I swear he moves around in it faster then I did with a tracker.

and if you want to select the painted notes from one particular tone like you can do in ableton you need to press that key in the piano roll with the right mouse button instead of the left one

Thats not quite what fold does if thats what you are talking about. Fold will only show the notes/rows that are occupied by the sampler. Very useful, let me explain to anyone who is unfamiliar.

Here is a screenshot of someone who drew all the notes in a particular scale for 3 octives and then hit 'fold.' You can see all the notes he drew on the far left. You could even put these before the starting point of the pattern. It will only show rows/notes for the ones that have been used. Useful for both melodies and drums.

3-octaves-f-minor-live.gif

nah I wasn't talking about fold though, I meant the feature that lets you choose all the notes from just one particular tone if you just click on that note in the piano roll, so you can for instance delete/move/copy all the C# notes of a particular MIDI sequence.

fruity loops has the best and easiest to use sequencer of any DAW imo.

better and easier than reason's? I have FL but have never really attempted to learn it cuz I'm lazy and/or scared to learn new things.

I think it's easier than Reason's yeah... I like Reason too though...

FLoops essentially has Roland drum machine style step sequencers that you can use for everything (you don't have to, it has traditional piano roll too). It's just really fast and easy to get cool patterns going...

I like Renoise and Ableton Live, this has nothing to do with OP's question. I just felt the need to post something other than Reaper/FL.

Sorry.

Archived