IGNORED

The Beatles Remasters (9/9/9)

karmakramer

Also, Rock Band is lame- buy a guitar and you can learn to play anything you want instead of pretending.

I really cringe when I hear artists/people say this - Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc. are not about 'pretending' to play real instruments - it's an appropriate interface for a music/rhythm based game, and has the potential side-benefit of getting non-musical people interested in learning to play a real instrument, as well as non-gaming people to get into games. That's a win/win in my book.

I understand where you're coming from, and if it gets the younger generation listening to the Beatles rather than the crap they're fed on MTV and mainstream radio, that's all good too. I don't like that it's really nothing like playing the actual instruments though. I'm probably just getting old :dry:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, Rock Band is lame- buy a guitar and you can learn to play anything you want instead of pretending.

I really cringe when I hear artists/people say this - Rock Band, Guitar Hero, etc. are not about 'pretending' to play real instruments - it's an appropriate interface for a music/rhythm based game, and has the potential side-benefit of getting non-musical people interested in learning to play a real instrument, as well as non-gaming people to get into games. That's a win/win in my book.

I understand where you're coming from, and if it gets the younger generation listening to the Beatles rather than the crap they're fed on MTV and mainstream radio, that's all good too. I don't like that it's really nothing like playing the actual instruments though. I'm probably just getting old :dry:

Hell, I'm old and I love playing RB! I personally don't play an instrument, but I can understand where you're coming from. I think between the two, Rock Band is the more 'accurate' of the two when it comes to note placement. In fact, independent artists will be able to sell their tracks via Rock Band very soon for play in the game...

Hell, I'm old and I love playing RB! I personally don't play an instrument, but I can understand where you're coming from. I think between the two, Rock Band is the more 'accurate' of the two when it comes to note placement. In fact, independent artists will be able to sell their tracks via Rock Band very soon for play in the game...

That's pretty awesome. I might buy the Beatles Rock Band, idk I have one Guitar Hero, and that was a blast to play, so all Beatles music (my favorite rock band) is going to get me so absorbed.

Guest David R James

So is this worth the money? I already own these records, will i get any improved enjoyment from the remasters? I do like comparing different masters so maybe it would be fun to get it.

It's a remastering.

Not a remixing.

The stereo you have, is the way they mixed it in stereo back then, except for Rubber Soul and Help!, which uses the 1987 George Martin stereo mixes. You still can get the original 60's stereo mixes of those two albums at the end of each mono CD.

they should have released the *.multitrack.wavs on blueray discs .. i won't be happy until i'm sitting in front of the monitors on a 1960's mixing desk ..

;-p

It's a remastering.

Not a remixing.

The stereo you have, is the way they mixed it in stereo back then, except for Rubber Soul and Help!, which uses the 1987 George Martin stereo mixes. You still can get the original 60's stereo mixes of those two albums at the end of each mono CD.

ok i didn't know that. they still sound weird tho.

So is this worth the money? I already own these records, will i get any improved enjoyment from the remasters? I do like comparing different masters so maybe it would be fun to get it.

If you own all the records, it means that you know your Beatles stuff. So, YES, you will love the remasters. It's not a remixing, it's still the same mixes (so they can be annoying).

But it's like dusting off an old paint that's been forgotten since 1987.

they should have released the *.multitrack.wavs on blueray discs .. i won't be happy until i'm sitting in front of the monitors on a 1960's mixing desk ..

There are already multitracks available of the entire Sgt. Peppers album, and since yesterday, every tracks that's in Rock Band. Expect all the future downloadable stuff to be like that too (like the entire Abbey Road available soon on Rock Band)

wow ,, jello biafra actually let someone use a song in a commercial setting .. guess it wasn't advertising anything .. so ..

I don't know any more than but I am not sure how much control he has over the DK material these days. Anyway, i'll stop being off topic now.

stuff in rockband is recreated right? no? maybe?

No, it's the original multitracks. But it's not the same song as on CD, they are edited, guitar parts are added, endings are changed, extended outros, etc...

But isolation is possible

Guest David R James

If you own all the records, it means that you know your Beatles stuff. So, YES, you will love the remasters. It's not a remixing, it's still the same mixes (so they can be annoying).

But it's like dusting off an old paint that's been forgotten since 1987.

Yeah i wouldn't even think about buying it if it was to be a 'remixing' as you say. I can just about allow myself to appreciate the stuff being re-mastered (again). But, i love the idea of being able to enjoy it with a new sense of clarity. I hate the idea of re-mixing old music, how it was made at the time is all part of the magic, you lose something when music like The Beatles gets fiddled with.

I really like the idea that things could be analogue remastered, its almost as though big record companies are still in the late 80's when the 'Digitally remastered' tag was all the rage.

I think i will purchase it, thats if they haven't sold out by the time i get round to it.

today i wired up on a load of good coffee and a few biftas, then set to cleaning the house from top to bottom to a soundtrack of the early shit (please please me, with the beatles, a hard day's night, beatles for sale) up REALLY FUCKING LOUD on two floors. i love having a media centre extender. with the exception of a few clunkers, it was awesome.

incidentally, draft7.30 and untilted are excellent bathroom-painting music

Yeah i wouldn't even think about buying it if it was to be a 'remixing' as you say. I can just about allow myself to appreciate the stuff being re-mastered (again). But, i love the idea of being able to enjoy it with a new sense of clarity. I hate the idea of re-mixing old music, how it was made at the time is all part of the magic, you lose something when music like The Beatles gets fiddled with.

i would consider myself a very, very big fan of the beatles - i've been listening to them for seventeen years. and i was initially very suspicious of the 'LOVE' thing from a few years back, but i have to admit that george martin actually did it justice.

The remasters clearly open the door to any kind of remixing in the future. Nobody can say a word anymore, the catalogue is as clear as it will ever be (in PCM Redbook format). In a certain way, it was needed, the 1987 mastering sucked really hard.

Get the Anthology DVD, hear "I am the Walrus" in completely stereo and in 5.1, or check out LOVE. You'll see why that in 2-3 years they can do an incredible remixing and everybody will be happy. EQ'ed stereo or fake panning just doesn't work anymore.

Fuck, the first line of 'Run For Your Life' has only just struck me after all these years (and nowt to do with the remastering). Sinister, twisted shit. In fact the whole song is.

Slightly off topic, but I've always fucking loved 'Hey Jude' (I really want the Past Masters set), especially the never-ending na-na-na-naah mantra. Is this wrong...? kaini...?!

hah yeah run for your life is pretty evil

i... tolerate hey jude. far from the worst thing mccartney's done

liking what spector did to the long and winding road is however not acceptable

I'm not accepting of that shit.

And I'm taking this opportunity to eulogize Carry That Weight once again. Should have been repeated for a minimum of 30 minutes. Sounds shithot on the remaster as well.

yes i am a pussy but strawberry fields was the first music to ever make me cry it was so brilliant

and i still can't listen to carry that weight without getting a lump in my throat

fuck you george michael, i'm putting on abbey road

edit: fucking loud

Even The Fall and New Order haven't had the enduring impact on me that The Beatles at their best did. Strawberry Fields still makes the nape hairs stand up on end after nearly 30 years (especially the drums and string section), I Am The Walrus (John's 'I'm crying'... incredible) is mindbending and even the straightup pop (Think For Yourself, And Your Bird Can Sing, Doctor Robert, fucking Good Day Sunshine) is indescribable. Fuck the hype machine, the remasters are the best excuse in a long time to just, you know, listen to The Beatles.

and your bird can sing is multitracked guitar (and amazing), one of my earliest experiences on the internets i can remember is downloading a tab from ftp.olga.org (RIP) where some nutter had figured it out on one guitar. i spent fucking months trying to play it, until eventually someone gave me revolution in the head for christmas... 'muuul-ti-traaacked?' :facepalm:

i like the underrated indian george stuff a lot; love you to, the inner light... and from the early stuff, rain. oh fuck i love rain. look at this video - oasis based not only half their sound, but about half their fucking videos on this one track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm9xqHjP0fw

genius bassline, very funky for mccartney. this is where shit started getting proper psychedelic.

Archived