IGNORED

DId you buy "Wisp The Shimmering Hour" (Thread Ver. 3)

Brandi_B

Wisp  

28 members have voted

1. 1. DId you buy the shimmering hour

• Yes
    • no
  2. 2. Did you buy Katabalic

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If yes, how did you purchase it/ them

• Online (Bookmat, Amazon, etc)
    • At A Wisp gig
    • Bought Second Hand (ebay, friend, etc)
    • Through Wisp HImself
    • Record Store
    • Was given free b/c Wisp loves me
    • Mail order catalouge
    • I didn't purchase it
    • Was given free by friend / random person
  4. 4. If you did purchase it did you also download it (regardless of the before/after release date)

• Yes
    • No
    • I didn't purchase or download
  5. 5. If downloaded whether you paid or not what was your primary source of acquisition

• I purchased but did NOT download
    • I didn't purchase or download
    • Soulseek
    • What.cd
    • Mininova
    • Demonoid
    • Isohunt
    • Other
    • Pirate Bay
  6. 6. Do you own previous Wisp material (regardless of whether you downloaded his new stuff)

• Yes - All of it
    • Yes - Some of it
    • No - But I've heard some tracks in various mixes
    • No - None at all
  7. 7. How would you rate (your personal opinion) The Shimmering Hour

• Excellent A+ Best IDM Album of 2009
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Mediocre
    • Poor
    • I don't own it or I have not listened to it
  8. 8. Will You buy the next Wisp release

• Yes
    • No
    • If I like the samples, a trusted friend reccomends it, or it gets good reviews
    • I will download it for free
  9. 9. Do you think this is a positive step forward for the the next/upcoming generation of "IDM" or abstract Electronic music (even though WIsp isn't dirrectly affiliated with WATMM)

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided / Not Sure
  10. 10. Will you go see wisp live if he tours near you

• Absolutely
    • 50/50 chance
    • If other good acts are playing
    • No
  11. 11. Are you going to the Warehouse Project Rephlex show

• Yes
    • No
    • Want to but can't afford ticket/travel/airfare
  12. 12. How do you rate Katabalic

• Excelent
    • Very Good
    • Mediocre
    • Poor
    • I haven't listened to it
  13. 13. Would you be intertested in a WATMM store - selling new CD's, Used rare CD's, DVD's, Posters, Vinyl, Tickets to IDM shows, etc

• Yes that would be super cool
    • Wtf?
  14. 14. Should there be a Wisp subforum

• Yes
    • No
    • Just keep Wisp news in Gen. Music

POLL THREE! YAY I fail at this. So here we go, PLZ VOTE AGAIN. I'm sorry i botched the previous 2.

Here's some highlights from the last thread (that i accidentally made public)

----------------------

chax, on 11 September 2009 - 04:52 AM, said:

can you explain some of the motivations behind these questions and why you are interested in all this data about wisp? i'm just curious it seems kind of strange, unless you're planning to release your own music and promote it through watmm or something and are trying to find the optimal selling strategy

It's mostly an interest in the internet. Watmm has been pretty supportive of wisp and in these controversial record company time we are going through, I'm interested to see how much of the hype (the massive shimmering hour thread in upcomng releases) delivered past exactly that, "hype". Have people continued to be fans, did people actually buy the album they so enthusiastically posted about. Is he an artist people consider for a life time, example, will there be people that buy his stuff just becuase he's wisp.

Just a bit of market research, no harm, or offense meant, Just curious :)

--------------------------------

can you explain some of the motivations behind these questions and why you are interested in all this data about wisp? i'm just curious it seems kind of strange, unless you're planning to release your own music and promote it through watmm or something and are trying to find the optimal selling strategy

Isn't that clear? Are you aware of the Antarctica compilation?

-----------------------------------------------------

i don't think this poll is much better than the previous one.

i, for instance downloaded shimmering hour, but plan on buying it (for realz), so that situation kind of breaks the poll.

also, question "Do you own previous Wisp material (regardless of whether you downloaded his new stuff)" - does "own" mean like, if you bought it? or if you listen to it and enjoy it?

then, the question "Will You buy the next Wisp release" is the most intriguing to me, the available answers definitely miss a "depends on how good it is" - i think most voters would choose that.

---------------------------

And a poem from Mr. McGriff

I had a perfect burger today

It made my life complete

Sadly the mass of my explosion

Broke the toilet seat.

lol...no i have adhd....i get super duper hyper active. I don't take adderall anymore though cuz it was almost impossible to eat when taking it. I just like to stay busy all the time. I'm working from home doing an ebay business and am a personal assistant to a neighbor who works from his home. I just need constant stimulation (life stimulation, not drugs)

:)

Do you think this is a positive step forward for the the next/upcoming generation of "IDM" or abstract Electronic music (even though WIsp isn't dirrectly affiliated with WATMM)

this needs an 'undecided' ...

FAIL ... next thread ... but don't fuck around and post something in my piks of gig thread ya bastard ...:excl:

I had a chance to buy at other music, but chose to get something else. It's a decent record so I might pick it up if I ever see it in the used bin (2/10).

-real fan

Guest Renivatio

i thought wizp was a real cool guy until he got signed to teh rephlexorz now i hate his ginger guts and i hope he chokes on his cracked copy of fruity loops 3

:lol:

While having started off posting my music here, originally back when it was joyrex.com, I would definitely say this is the place where I got my feet wet.. but times have changed, and most of the original base has left, just lurk, been banned, or moved elsewhere. I'd wager that I still have a number of fans here, but I wouldn't exactly call the current user group of watmm my base. No more so than, say, last.fm, myspace, what.cd, slsk, etc. On that note, I think it is sort of odd that watmm is mentioned on my wiki. Someone linked that to me the other day and I was a bit weirded out by it. Not enough to alter it myself, but I think it has the potential to give people the wrong impression.

So anyhow, I mentioned this in another thread (watmm as a bar/club/secret Freemason tin foil hat society analogy) but watmm is just a place I tend to post/hang out at. It is just sort of a habit on my part. I rarely, if ever, talk about my own music here any more... just because it would be sort of sleezey. Who goes to a bar every weekend and talks about themselves over and over, handing out CDs and flyers of their own shit to everyone they meet? not me. I even feel odd replying to this, and the other recent threads about me at all. The only reason I am even responding is because, while I understand what you are trying to do, any data you might end up with from a poll such as this may be a bit tainted. Had I more of an anonymous presence here, and didn't only ever respond to threads with fart jokes etc, you might have a better chance at a little more accuracy. On the other hand, this thread might not have ever popped in to existence at all..

That aside, "support" in the financial sense is a myth within most music, not just electronic . Money is not made in large amounts from sales, and gathering good statistics on who buys the music cannot be accurately gauged via ANY message board. Listeners, sure. I'd imagine there are a fare few listeners of my material on this message board, given the nature of my music. And having a few people from watmm buy my record, simply because we share posting here in common is a nice residual effect, but it doesn't really reflect the consumer base in the classic sense, as opposed to the try-before-you-buy consumer.

The one thing I have learned since I started releasing music in hard copy, which I think sort of worked in the opposite for massive corporate record labels, is that there WAS a whole different group of people that actually BUY music. Having started off on the reverse end of the spectrum, posting music on ftps etc, I suppose that has just lead me to a slightly more optimistic (or maybe, a less pessimistic) position on the current state of affairs of music as commodity. It has changed how I perceive music, how I perceive how others perceive music, and how I perceive perceiving perceptive perception.

lebowski.jpg

Who goes to a bar every weekend and talks about themselves over and over, handing out CDs and flyers of their own shit to everyone they meet?

^^^^^

Rappers. All of them. Trust me. I live in NC and there are lot's of "YO CHECK MY SHIT *THROWS CD IN FACE* PEEP THIS COME OUT NEXT WEEKEND ppl around here. And in my opinion (and i'm assuming yours) it is very bad taste and makes them look like fools.

-----------------------

I'm glad you came in this thread and said something, I was hoping you would. Yes the data will be flawed beyond belief, but here's a few things.

1. A lot of watmmers/lurkers/xltr's are really big fans of yours. But they download your music. They don't buy it. (I'm not saying all, but a lot). I originally myself downloaded the flac of the shimmering hour, and then bought it off of bookmat after falling in love with Keeper of the hills.

2. Granted this IS your kind of kick back and relax hang out, there's still a LOT of support for you on this site, regardless of whether people pay for you music or not. But honestly as you sort of mentioned, in this day in age "paying for music" is a whole new ball game, and most people download and the support the artist in other ways (buying t-shirts, concert tickets, various merch).

3. The fact that you got signed to rephlex created a very mixed reaction. Haters will be haters, and supports will support you through and through. You could be signed to epic records or capital, but only sell 50 cd's, so what does it really matter? Truth be told, I myself was a little jealous, but after doing some research found that I would be happier on Planet Mu or doing a suicidal attempt at my own label :)

--------------

Anyway, this whole poll does have to do with "WISP" b/c Wisp has been the most successful to date artist that actually has hung out on WATMM on a regular basis (global goon and others aside). SO it has an impact. But overall it's more of a "how does WATMM support artists they like, and do they download and support otherwise, purchase, or just download and have that be that"

With the upcoming Antarctica compilation which i'm putting my own money into, and don't have any guarantees of ever seeing any returns on my "investment" this poll is kind of a gauge to see what up for the future. However I have no expectation of a return and I'm putting my money into this becuase I love music, and I think some really talented artists are involved and I will be thrilled when it comes out, regardless of what it costs me :)

That aside in all honesty, after the bajillion page thread about the shimmering hour, I wanted to see the results of how people acquired the shimmering hour and how much they liked it afterwords. And what methods they used to get it :)

Much respect Reid! :) Hope to see you next month at the rephlex show!

PS I <3 u LUDD...we'll party when I come to england!

question about wisp/planet mu

why didnt/hasnt it happen?

mikep liked teddy oggie

mrs jynx splits

tour w/ vsnares

as much of an achievement as a release on rephlex is, i cant help but wonder why wisp isnt on mu :s (inb4 modern mu/dubstep haters shit on me)

question about wisp/planet mu

why didnt/hasnt it happen?

mikep liked teddy oggie

mrs jynx splits

tour w/ vsnares

as much of an achievement as a release on rephlex is, i cant help but wonder why wisp isnt on mu :s (inb4 modern mu/dubstep haters shit on me)

I can't comment much on that, but I will say that Mike P. seems to be a LOT more active and involved in MU's promotion, website, and marketing whereas rephlex is just like....here's some green text. But I could be totally out of place and wrong about this.

Edit also I know that MU and Rephlex are both labels that are more than happy for their artists to release various albums on various labels and they aren't specifically bound to any contract that says they must only release on the label they are signed to IIRC. So that may have something to do with with. Again I can't speak for wisp or other MU/ Rephlex artists themselves.

I'd buy this wisp album if I could find a place to digitally download it... like iTunes or Bleep.

I just found a russian site where they stole the shimmering hour, and are charging 13 cents per song or i think 1.30 for the whole album :wtf: That's pirating at it's worst, profiting on stolen stuff, at low bit rates too!

Well there are TONS of places to buy the cd and viynl online (congrats!) so there's no shortage of promotion. HOwever I can't find anywhere you can "legally" purchase and download the mp3s/flacs/etc :(

I bet Rich has little to do with Rephlex. He probably doesn't care much for it other than sayin, yeah I lie this artist Grant. Me thinks Grant and others operate rephlex mostly

The one thing I have learned since I started releasing music in hard copy, which I think sort of worked in the opposite for massive corporate record labels, is that there WAS a whole different group of people that actually BUY music. Having started off on the reverse end of the spectrum, posting music on ftps etc, I suppose that has just lead me to a slightly more optimistic (or maybe, a less pessimistic) position on the current state of affairs of music as commodity. It has changed how I perceive music, how I perceive how others perceive music, and how I perceive perceiving perceptive perception.

That's interesting.

Or, at least, I perceive that some people may perceive it as interesting, including me.

Archived