IGNORED

Gary Numan

Guest idrn

so what do you guys think of gary numan?

i realised i was totally unfamiliar with his work, except for 'cars' which is a bit tragic. i downloaded his entire discography and i think only the pleasure principle is really worth my money. i like his production style, catchy and utilitarian, and also his sort of delayed and piercing melodic singing. he's not nearly a big a synth buff as people make out though - he seems to only use random analogue string machines, but i guess it's all part of the aesthetic.

but yeah, i loves it.

I love a bit of Gary Numan, way before The Mighty Boosh started mentioning him creating a load of tits who like him ironically. His recent stuff is a bit hit and miss but Sacrifice is definitely worth a listen. I'll hopefully be seeing him in December on his Pleasure Principle tour.

[youtubehd]lecytazY6n4[/youtubehd]

i like how on the pleasure princple - you have these nice thick electro-y synth, but also classic thick '70s wooden drums and bass as well.

totally!

ah. erm. that is not what i was on about.. is there another instrumental? maybe it has got some words in.

has tracks got a long intro before the words start. basically it sounds a lot like cars but instrumental except maybe it isnt instrumental.

GNML

Guest Adjective

sampling is so weird

on the one hand i like that we live in an age where you can just reach out and grab anything that sounds pleasant to your ears and then add to it. then on the other, people are getting credit for bringing a fresh sound when they probably know nothing of making synth patches, constructing melodies, and in this case, even their taste in effects is suspect.

sampling is so weird

on the one hand i like that we live in an age where you can just reach out and grab anything that sounds pleasant to your ears and then add to it. then on the other, people are getting credit for bringing a fresh sound when they probably know nothing of making synth patches, constructing melodies, and in this case, even their taste in effects is suspect.

i don't like the idea of sampling (large chunks of melodic structure/ or textures) on principle (cause they're lazy fucks) .. but then again i like rap music ... you can see my moral dilemma here ...

sampling is so weird

The weird thing is its actually a cover of a bootleg ("We Don't Give A Damn About Our Friends") which combined Tubeway Army and a forgotten Adina Howard track from the mid 90s. I'm not dissing it, I think it's brilliant, and disposable, pop music.

tubeway army - are friends electric

The sugababes original is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGSajAGg9h4

I'm not being flippant, I have no idea if anybody outside Europe has ever heard of them.

see, i can't like the original because of this song. i had the sugababes drummed into my head on the school bus long before i'd ever heard gary numan. i do remember mentally taking note of the nice synth line, but well, it's the sugababes. now when i try to listen to the original i start hearing "freak in the morning" and envisioning awry lip piercings. which i think is all highly unfortunate.

Archived