IGNORED

Electronic Music Standards

Guest JohnTqs

for those unfamiliar, basically, tracks/albums/artists that are a MUST KNOW/LOVE/BE MEMORIZED. What are they for electronic music?

how about

Brian Eno - Ambient 1

Kraftwerk - Computer World

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene

Aphex Twin - SAW1/2

W Carlos - Switched On Bach

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wall Bird

Entire albums? I've never heard of an album being a standard, but no worry.

I think one of the interesting things about electronic music is that a great deal of it so reliant on it's production and the fact that it most likely cannot be replicated in real time. There really is no standardized format for performing it or doing it consistently. The freeform nature of computer synthesizers makes it highly unlikely for two people to build the same performance system, whereas something like a saxophone is a saxophone, no matter whose you pick up. I guess a standardized synthesizer would be something that has persevered over a few decades such as a Minimoog or a theremin. There's really no repetoire to speak of when it comes to electronic music like there is in the Jazz idiom, for example. Perhaps there is, and I'm simply not accounting for the radical differences in musical vernacular...

This conundrum of how to perform with complex synthesizers is something I've come up against time and again when trying to jam with more traditional instruments. It's kind of frustrating not being able to accurately conjure or recall gestures with the same efficiency of, say, a horn or guitar. Of course, I can always develop ways of doing it as my self-made instrument becomes more refined, but I am a far ways off from achieving the same amount of flexibility and suppleness found in more mature instruments.

It's not so much that performing complex electronic music is a performance art (which one can argue it most certainly is) as much as I feel it is the art of creating a recording. Let's face it, there's no practical way Autechre could replicate something like Gantz Graf in realtime. The charm in a lot of recordings is the inhuman and hyper-real nature of a finely-crafted recording where every brush-stroke is just right and perfectly in tune with it's surroundings.

Guest Adjective

of course i've never owned these records, so i'm open to being wrong

but, ep 1 has six tracks and ep 2 has two unique tracks

the CD release is both EPs combined, which may be your confusion

No. Hangable Autobulb 2 has two separate songs from the first.

However, the new reissue has all of the songs and is only called Hangable Autobulb.

</fan>

beat me to it lol

*gives Adjective a high five*

The charm in a lot of recordings is the nature of a finely-crafted recording where every brush-stroke is just right and perfectly in tune with it's surroundings.

right there i agree with wallbird... and with the idea that single pieces rather than albums .. although in electronica sometimes

--------

but i think he misses the intent of the thread .. then again the thread did use the specific term 'standards' .. it's kinda like saying 'the canon' for books ... still though i'm sure the readers get that the intent of the thread is to gather the consensus of what constitutes the best of the best of electronic music ....

perhaps though .. in the context of definitive grouping .. we must take into account the musics progression through time ... it's differing periods ... the evolution of techniques and equipment ...

--------------------------------------- wotevfr

raymond scott - ((you choose something, i'm too tired to remember an exact piece, but nothing off soothing sounds for baby))

<br />Entire albums? I've never heard of an album being a standard, but no worry.<br /><br />I think one of the interesting things about electronic music is that a great deal of it so reliant on it's production and the fact that it most likely cannot be replicated in real time. There really is no standardized format for performing it or doing it consistently. The freeform nature of computer synthesizers makes it highly unlikely for two people to build the same performance system, whereas something like a saxophone is a saxophone, no matter whose you pick up. I guess a standardized synthesizer would be something that has persevered over a few decades such as a Minimoog or a theremin. There's really no repetoire to speak of when it comes to electronic music like there is in the Jazz idiom, for example. Perhaps there is, and I'm simply not accounting for the radical differences in musical vernacular...<br /><br />This conundrum of how to perform with complex synthesizers is something I've come up against time and again when trying to jam with more traditional instruments. It's kind of frustrating not being able to accurately conjure or recall gestures with the same efficiency of, say, a horn or guitar. Of course, I can always develop ways of doing it as my self-made instrument becomes more refined, but I am a far ways off from achieving the same amount of flexibility and suppleness found in more mature instruments.<br /><br />It's not so much that performing complex electronic music is a performance art (which one can argue it most certainly is) as much as I feel it is the art of creating a recording. Let's face it, there's no practical way Autechre could replicate something like Gantz Graf in realtime. The charm in a lot of recordings is the inhuman and hyper-real nature of a finely-crafted recording where every brush-stroke is just right and perfectly in tune with it's surroundings.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

try a Monomachine with a Kaoss Pad 3

Archived