IGNORED

saw Prefuse 73 tonight

MadnessR

Guest Ultravisitor

when i saw him with a live drummer the sound engineer fucked it all up horribly. to the point where it sounded like noise with a hip hop beat.

poor show.

While I continue to like the music he puts out I've completely given up on the prefuse live show. Mostly it's just him drumming along to his own tracks. Best case he's got a live band, which can be mildly interesting. Worst case was the time I saw him in boston where it was just him and dj nobody on stage. Basically for 1 hour dj nobody punched in his finished tracks on an mpc while prefuse drummed along on a kit next to him. I still can't believe I paid money for that.

goddamn, i realized prefuse 73 was a one-trick pony by the time he released one-word extinguisher. and shittiest live show—period. i second the punching-in-studio-recordings-whilst-playing-live-drums. and scott herren is fucking shitty at drums.

this was one of many reasons i grew more disinterested in glitch-hop and idm.

Guest Renivatio

Speaking of shitty shows and glitch-hop I remember I saw this supposedly "glitch-hop" group from LA called The Glitch Mob play at my university....holy fuck they sucked dick. Just four skater dudes who listened to too much Crunk Juice and flailing their arms in a feeble attempt to hype up a crowd who was already disinterested in their redundant, boring, "glitch-hop lite" tunes. At least I didn't pay to see such faggotry.

Speaking of shitty shows and glitch-hop I remember I saw this supposedly "glitch-hop" group from LA called The Glitch Mob play at my university....holy fuck they sucked dick. Just four skater dudes who listened to too much Crunk Juice and flailing their arms in a feeble attempt to hype up a crowd who was already disinterested in their redundant, boring, "glitch-hop lite" tunes. At least I didn't pay to see such faggotry.

i think this is Edit's project! i haven't heard anything from it though!

i think this is Edit's project! i haven't heard anything from it though!

Ya, Glitch Mob is eDIT's project w/ a few other guys. I don't know much about them other than a couple of my friends love it. It's seems to be more of eDIT's sound from what I've heard.

Oh, and I saw P73 a few years back and it was a pretty good show. No live drums, just Scott w/ some gear doing his thing.

This thread's got me curious. What electronic live shows are exciting then, if you guys are bored by someone behind a laptop and a live drummer? I mean they all seem pretty boring to me in that case, and having live drums made it slightly more interesting.

dabrye played the same show i went to in toronto and he ripped that shit up. it was awesome. he was playing with a virus synth and a weird little computer. the thing is that he sounded much better than prefuse. when prefuse was playing the drummer was dominating the song because he was so loud and it got on my nerves. i like prefuse a lot but that live set wasn't that great.

This thread's got me curious. What electronic live shows are exciting then, if you guys are bored by someone behind a laptop and a live drummer? I mean they all seem pretty boring to me in that case, and having live drums made it slightly more interesting.

Daedelus does an awesome live show, he plays this homemade sequencer, w/ controls facing the crowd, that looks like a giant lite-brite:

Live_at_Low_End_Theory-Daedelus_480.jpg

(this is a good live album too btw)

He's good at it, and it also helps that he plays great music, mixing in all sorts of stuff by others with his own tracks, usually only individual elements of his tracks though, like a vocal sample from one or a drum loop from another. I'm usually satisfied with a live knob-twiddler show if they give you something you can't get on the album experience, like reworkings/remixes, a/v, shit like that.

yeah mouse on mars are incredible

i saw prefuse live a few years back and it was just as everyone in this thread has described - horrible

he just sits there banging away on a drumset that probably isn't even miced at all while some other guy pretends to dj the tunes

the reality was that we were listening to a cd of the songs, pretty much

dabrye played the same show i went to in toronto and he ripped that shit up. it was awesome. he was playing with a virus synth and a weird little computer. the thing is that he sounded much better than prefuse. when prefuse was playing the drummer was dominating the song because he was so loud and it got on my nerves. i like prefuse a lot but that live set wasn't that great.

Yeah it's possible that the drums were a little dominant, I don't really remember. And it also makes sense that we'd rather see the beat-maker putting out the beats rather than some other guy, especially if it sounds too much just like the CD. I didn't get that impression too much though...maybe because the drums were dominant. :tongue:

Daedelus does an awesome live show, he plays this homemade sequencer, w/ controls facing the crowd, that looks like a giant lite-brite:

He's good at it, and it also helps that he plays great music, mixing in all sorts of stuff by others with his own tracks, usually only individual elements of his tracks though, like a vocal sample from one or a drum loop from another. I'm usually satisfied with a live knob-twiddler show if they give you something you can't get on the album experience, like reworkings/remixes, a/v, shit like that.

Good answer. I haven't seen him live but I've seen some videos of him using that thing and it's pretty awesome. I think seeing that live would give me the impression that I'm getting a unique experience.

Mouse on mars do some furious stuff live!

I saw them on the Radical Connector tour, which isn't my favorite of theirs, and was surprised to hear live drums. I don't really remember much about the show but it was entertaining, and not just a dude behind a laptop. Don't recall it being furious though.

So in general the consensus is that we want to experience something different from what we hear on the albums...like Bob Dobalina said, reworkings/remixes or a/v, makes sense and that's generally what I like to hear too. It's just that when I saw Prefuse I felt like I got some reworkings (maybe I did, maybe I didn't) so I was confused by the responses.

This is a little weird - I saw him about 5 years back and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Instant head-nod, though he wasn't playing drums by any means and had a few other people working turntables, synths, etc. Pretty organic, a lot of movement around the stage, and the sound quality was excellent.

If he has gone downhill with his live show that's a huge disappointment, really in one of my top 10 shows ever.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

i remember seeing him back on halloween in 2003 at the grog shop in cleveland; beans was supporting. he had the drummer from tortoise with him and also a guitarist/bassist i think?

anyways the show was really wicked as i remember, but i was just heavily getting into his stuff at the moment so i think it was a "perfect time and place" sort of thing. he (scott) did NOT play the drums at all, and jon tore his kit up quite a bit... i really liked the live drumming.

(i haven't seen him perform live since..)

i remember seeing him back on halloween in 2003 at the grog shop in cleveland; beans was supporting. he had the drummer from tortoise with him and also a guitarist/bassist i think?

anyways the show was really wicked as i remember, but i was just heavily getting into his stuff at the moment so i think it was a "perfect time and place" sort of thing. he (scott) did NOT play the drums at all, and jon tore his kit up quite a bit... i really liked the live drumming.

(i haven't seen him perform live since..)

This was the same tour I saw him and thought it was good. I was kind of in the same place as you though. I think One Word Extinguisher had come out and that was a nice album. I was just really into his stuff cause Uprock Narratives was ace and One Word was his sophomore effort. I honestly have not kept up w/ his stuff since though. Kinda sad if he is still doing the same thing, but I know he has a lot of aliases for his different styles.

Guest Renivatio

Ya, Glitch Mob is eDIT's project w/ a few other guys. I don't know much about them other than a couple of my friends love it. It's seems to be more of eDIT's sound from what I've heard.

and i lol of the accusations of eDIT ripping off prefuse and using dbglitch in his musics. If the dbglitch thing is true, it's not surprising.

Archived