IGNORED

While We're Questioning Warp Signings...

The Green Kingdom

Now I know there was some debate around here about Warp signing HudMo (personally I like his stuff a lot). Whether you like him or not, most could at least admit that he is at least one of the popular young up-and-coming producers in the hip-hop/electronic realm.

Ok, so I was perusing the Bleep blog the other day and noticed something that truly amazed me: http://blog.bleep.com/tag/gonja-sufi/. Just try to make it through this song, I dare you. Just horrendous! Guy smokes way too much weed and sings to some cheesy Casio beats (in a bad way) and gets signed to Warp? Previous to hearing this, I only knew him from ruining a perfectly good Flying Lotus track on Los Angeles (Testament) with his incoherent rambling and off-key "vocals". A truly unlistenable moment on one of my favorite recent albums.

I've been uninterested in some previous Warp signings for sure, I can usually appreciate them making an attempt to diversify their offerings, but this is their first real WTF? moment for me. Hopefully they come to their senses and release something else. So many great artists out there that deserve the opportunity...

It's not that bad, but I expect something a lot more polished to be....oh goddamn, I just hit the chorus and it's awful. Anyway, expect something a lot grander to be released by Warp, not this.

Is it just me or does his voice get worse as the track goes on?

Ok, so I was perusing the Bleep blog the other day and noticed something that truly amazed me: http://blog.bleep.com/tag/gonja-sufi/. Just try to make it through this song, I dare you. Just horrendous! Guy smokes way too much weed and sings to some cheesy Casio beats (in a bad way) and gets signed to Warp? Previous to hearing this, I only knew him from ruining a perfectly good Flying Lotus track on Los Angeles (Testament) with his incoherent rambling and off-key "vocals". A truly unlistenable moment on one of my favorite recent albums.

O goddamn, that was TERRIBLE! :ohmy:

For some reason I don't remember this guy on Los Angeles. Gonna have to check it out when I get home.

I only knew him from ruining a perfectly good Flying Lotus track on Los Angeles (Testament) with his incoherent rambling and off-key "vocals". A truly unlistenable moment on one of my favorite recent albums.

Yes, yes, yes. My thoughts EXACTLY from my very first listen of an otherwise great album. Possibly the worst singing voice I have EVER heard, absolutely agonising. Only I thought it was a woman.

I don't often use capitals, but I had no choice here.

Hah, I left a comment saying how awful it was and the moderator didn't approve it. I guess we're just supposed to talk about how great it is even though it's absolutely horrid.

Hah, I left a comment saying how awful it was and the moderator didn't approve it. I guess we're just supposed to talk about how great it is even though it's absolutely horrid.

I debated doing that, but thought it would be more fun to vent here instead. I was wondering if they would approve a critical comment- guess not. I swear I'm usually not a very negative person, but this one just has me perplexed...

I actually liked the quaintness of the start of that track but mainly as I thought it was going to build and build. However the chorus comes in with the clipped vocals and ALT+F4 was rapidly operated ....

for those of you who can't be bothered to clickthat link, i did a quick cover version for you

warp records promo.mp3

this is a million times more enjoyable than whatever was posted on the warp blog

in fact i'd buy an album entirely of this

I didn't actually listen to the original track that the OP was talking about.

Ludd's bit has now been saved on my HD as "Ludd's thingy".

Archived