IGNORED

can Warp Records be saved?

Rubin Farr

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could be mistaken but I thought that richard d. james released 42 tracks in 2005 and an LP's worth in 2007?

yep, you are mistaken...he released those on Rephlex, not Warp. the fact that he released tracks on Rephlex under his Aphex Twin alias (instead of the ususal AFX alias on Rephlex) added so called 'credence' to the rumour that his contract with Warp was over and done with.

Well, Analord 10 was credited to Aphex Twin. All other Analords were as AFX. I think the contract excludes recordings shorter than 15 minutes, and that's why he was able to do this. Pretty smart, considering it was the first of the series, and the name "Aphex Twin" gets the most attention.

I could be mistaken but I thought that richard d. james released 42 tracks in 2005 and an LP's worth in 2007?

yep, you are mistaken...he released those on Rephlex, not Warp. the fact that he released tracks on Rephlex under his Aphex Twin alias (instead of the ususal AFX alias on Rephlex) added so called 'credence' to the rumour that his contract with Warp was over and done with.

Well, Analord 10 was credited to Aphex Twin. All other Analords were as AFX. I think the contract excludes recordings shorter than 15 minutes, and that's why he was able to do this. Pretty smart, considering it was the first of the series, and the name "Aphex Twin" gets the most attention.

hi richard

warp today is more about "does it pay off"

I don't think they ever go on myspace and find artists by themselfs

It seems to be more like they check out who could be a big hit by getting famous already and not who does make good music and how they can promote him

It seems to be more like they check out who could be a big hit by getting famous already and not who does make good music and how they can promote him

yeah, this is true

isn't that basically how a successful record label works?

i mean, if your job is to run a record label, you want to make money, right?

Gaaahhh. new page fail.

unfortunately, this is true.

Gaaahhh. new page fail.

unfortunately, this is true.

*shrug* i don't mind so much. i don't follow labels anymore anyway, since internet music got big it's become much easier to find (and be absolutely bombarded by) the kind of music one wants to listen to. and to be honest, besides ae/afx/sp, most of the electronic music i like to listen to these days is stuff on small mp3 labels. for instance, laridae's back catalogue is better than about 70% of the electronic stuff released on warp/rephlex/mu, imo.

What about Aphex Twin (previously on R&S), Boards Of Canada (Skam), Squarepusher (Spymania & Rephlex), Black Dog/Plaid (GPR/BDP), Leila (Rephlex), Fuse (+8), B12, Broadcast, Plone, Jimi Tenorand a ton of others.. The only major electronic Warp artists I can think of who have been with the label from more or less the start are Autechre, LFO and Nightmares On Wax. And Clark.

Why would a label like Warp waste their time trawling through the sea of fucking shit on Myspace? I think basically this thread can be summed up thus:

I/My netfriend makes awesome eye-dee-emm beatz on fruityloops/reason. I haven't ever played live. Warp never replied to the demo I/My netfriend sent them. Warp sucks. I don't like guitar music because it's "Old Fashioned".

isn't that basically how a successful record label works?

Sure it does but when you put the "pay off" before the art the content suffers

rephlex for example is sometimes a miss but they have a much more sensitive approach and generate trends by pushing unknown or insider acts and not just jumping the bandwagon

warp is afraid of miss and does not trust as much in personal taste so they often take people that are already hyped to not have any risk

What about Aphex Twin (previously on R&S), Boards Of Canada (Skam), Squarepusher (Spymania & Rephlex), Black Dog/Plaid (GPR/BDP), Leila (Rephlex), Fuse (+8), B12, Broadcast, Plone, Jimi Tenorand a ton of others.. The only major electronic Warp artists I can think of who have been with the label from more or less the start are Autechre, LFO and Nightmares On Wax. And Clark.

Why would a label like Warp waste their time trawling through the sea of fucking shit on Myspace?

most of these have been signed when warp was still doing it differently

I am talking about the time after the death of Rob Mitchell

rephlex does check myspace - lots of new artists released are insider tips on myspace

any chance of you getting signed yet?

hopefully soon / within the next 9 months or so

i'm holding out for something above average

put up a few new songs

on my soundcloud

as you are one of my 3-4 fans i think you might enjoy them, but other people who are like "shit warp sucks" you might be surprised that you enjoy this amateur's music so give it a chance :sorcerer:

and there are many more where these came from. i'll have a mediafire of the new stuff within the next two weeks. about an hour of new tracks, all of which i consider to be above average-great.

"fact paper," "love nights" are two of the new ones

thus i present to you for the first time, my soundcloud

Archived