Short list of things I really liked in the past:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Fullmetal Alchemist

Other stuff that wasn't bad:

Cowboy Bebop

Paranoia Agent

So, most of this stuff is kinda old. What's similarly good in 2009? Or 2008 even?

u mean tv series?

Macross Frontier

Moribito

Gundam 00

Blood +

as for films, haven't been that many i've seen this yr, but

Ponyo

Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

Sky Blue (Wonderful Days) - finally released in the West

Appleseed Ex Machina

Batman Gotham Knight

Mind Game

Tekkon Kinkreet

definitely not in the future sort of vein you've referenced, but two amazing amazing films. And of course Plaid did the soundtrack to Tekkon Kinkreet...and it's quality.

Check out Tekkon Kinkreet, much less random (although I loved the interpretations one can come up with for Mind Game), great story really.

I mean otherwise of course there's the obvious stuff...Miyazaki Hayao...GITS:2ndGig (solid state society i think?)

Oh I just thought of another one, a korean one called Achi-wa ssipak

Quite good...

"Plot: In a future where energy is made from fecal matter..."

lol...

See? It's perfect for WATMM.

It's actually really good though, I don't know if the guys who wrote reviews for it on IMDB were brain-dead, but it raised some interesting questions in my mind, as well as being quite enjoyable.

There are web-cartoons that preceded the film, but I think they're all in Korean with no subtitles...

Guest Ultravisitor

yeah, chenGOD!

you named my two favourite!

mind game and tekkonkinkreet are delightful.

i've started watching the 1st gig of ghost in the shell s.a.c.

hasn't quite grabbed me yet. but still enjoyable. i just wish the voice acting was the same..... oh, well. can't win them all.

after watching "elfen lied" i was completely put off most anime's that had soppy moments of characters going childish and annoying. i used to just turn a blind eye but i can't watch any of it anymore. its too much.

Short list of things I really liked in the past:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Fullmetal Alchemist

Other stuff that wasn't bad:

Cowboy Bebop

Paranoia Agent

So, most of this stuff is kinda old. What's similarly good in 2009? Or 2008 even?

That´s a good question. The really good stuff is a few years old. If you liked Cowboy Bebop and Paranoia Agent you should watch these:

Serial Experiments Lain - slowpaced, sad, brainy (if there is such a word) and totally awesome sci-fi stuff

Texhnolyze - Starts irritating. Sci-Fi-Mafia, Drama

Samurai Champloo - great, funny, sad Samurai-Action

Great Teacher Onizuka - school comedy/ drama

Haibane Renmei

Kino no Tabi - a girl and her talking motorbike

Last Exile - steampunk adventure

i don´t get why so many people like Ghost in the shell.

yeah, chenGOD!

you named my two favourite!

mind game and tekkonkinkreet are delightful.

i've started watching the 1st gig of ghost in the shell s.a.c.

Then you'd definitely like that Korean film I mentioned.

Th ehting to remember with the SAC and 2ndGIG is that they're much more faithful to the comic book. Wait, are you watching them dubbed in English? Cause the japanese voice actors are pretty similar Ithink between the series, at least Kusanaki is...

i don´t get why so many people like Ghost in the shell.

and you just invalidated the rest of your post. :P

I jest, I jest

Guest Ultravisitor

Then you'd definitely like that Korean film I mentioned.

Th ehting to remember with the SAC and 2ndGIG is that they're much more faithful to the comic book. Wait, are you watching them dubbed in English? Cause the japanese voice actors are pretty similar Ithink between the series, at least Kusanaki is...

subtitled, all the way.

you're right, i just checked imdb and it says its the same actors....

interesting.....

Glad to see Utena on your list! I always recommend that on here, I dunno if anyone ever checks it out...

Kaiba is amazing. You'll have to download it, chances of it coming out outside of Japan are slim.

It's made by the director of Mind Game, it's a lot darker and more complex, the first 6 episodes are pretty slow but beautiful, very sentimental.... the last 6 are just mind numbingly fast paced and heart breaking.

The visual style is like Astro Boy on drugs.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=9178

Also if you like more experimental/eclectic stuff the two Genius Party anthologies have some good shorts in them, especially the first one.

I've watched Berserk, episodes 1-13 this weekend and somewhere in the middle I thought how it should have stayed it the past. Because I've seen the series two times before and thought better of them then. Maybe it's because I love manga Berserk so much more.

And I also dont like GitS Stand alone complex. Actually I don't like any anime series anymore, just mangas hehe.

Ponyo however, kicked my ass in a very fine way...

Guest Ultravisitor

I watched paprika recently. Me like.

I'm trying to watch everything here, but some of these are hard to get: My link

those ARE all amazing films as well.

5cm per second is a bit soppy but the animation is ridiculous. it blows my mind from the very first shot.

if you like them, (which apart from 5cm.. and grave of fireflies (which i haven't got round to watching twice because its so sad) are some of my favourites) i'd suggest watching "tekkonkinkreet", "mind game" and "ghost in the shell 2" if you haven't already because these are fucking stunners.

but thats my opinion :)

Archived