IGNORED

Wheel of Fire

Guest Erothyme

sweet track, i quite enjoyed it! the sounds are very lush and full. it creates a nebulous environment and glides right through it. it was all leveled well, too! some of the lead sounds almost sound comically psychedelic but, as i said, i really enjoyed it!

Guest Erothyme

Very good thoughts. I thank you for them.

I agree with you about the presence of an absurd or "comical" element. I find it to be tastefully implemented in the aesthetic scope, but then, I am the biased musician! 8)

really nice track man.

snare feels too loud in the beginning

i like the chords. starts abit soft then goes haywire, i like that.

when everything kicks in the compressor steals abit of energy, the loud drum hits become virtually inaudible.

the track could use some more balls, everything feels abit thin and unprocessed.

other than that i really dig it.

Guest Erothyme

From the objective standpoint, I could remark that it's heavily layered, cyclical, self-referential, aesthetically rich and colorful. It's nebulously atmospheric and aggressively driving at the same time.

From the subjective standpoint, I could point out that sitting down and listening to it on headphones in a dark room put me into a psychedelic trance which in some sense could be described as comparable to a light dose of salvinorin-a.

But as with any psychedelic music, there is much more to it than that, and asking what specifically is "psychedelic" about a piece of music seems absurd to me.

What is it that you don't consider psychedelic about this music?

I suppose what "psychedelic" means, sonically, conceptually, or visually, is based on subjective experience. What strikes me as psychedelic in music is when the specific textures, sounds, type of melody conceptually reference fantastic, impossible, revelatory "objects."

Guest Erothyme

An interesting condition you've described there.

Which is even more interesting given that the track conceptually references the "wheel of fire" which continually appears in my visions.

Guest Erothyme

<3

I'll listen to the mix before long, I am sure. I would listen now, but I'm just dropping in before going to sleep.

Well I guess I have to consider that I have appreciated the synthetic textures of psytrance and its spinoffs. I do however, like the underlying driving beat that comes in some areas, that kind of heavily segmented dubstep beat, its pretty nice. Actually, yeah, the last 20 seconds I like the most.

Different sonic palettes, I suppose. It might have to do what people hear when they grow up. I heard a lot of african and brazilian and jazz music when I was a kid, and my musical/visual/textural aspects of psychedelia often have to do with very WOODEN, "retro production" sound, in contrast to the more widespread synthetic sound.

An interesting condition you've described there.

Which is even more interesting given that the track conceptually references the "wheel of fire" which continually appears in my visions.

I don't hear/see this "wheel of fire" though. Are there any specific textural or melodic elements that specifically reference it to you, as the composer?

Guest Erothyme

really nice track man.

snare feels too loud in the beginning

i like the chords. starts abit soft then goes haywire, i like that.

when everything kicks in the compressor steals abit of energy, the loud drum hits become virtually inaudible.

the track could use some more balls, everything feels abit thin and unprocessed.

other than that i really dig it.

Thanks for the thoughts, man. Definitely needed to hear (read: read) a couple of those comments. 8)

Well I guess I have to consider that I have appreciated the synthetic textures of psytrance and its spinoffs. I do however, like the underlying driving beat that comes in some areas, that kind of heavily segmented dubstep beat, its pretty nice. Actually, yeah, the last 20 seconds I like the most.

Different sonic palettes, I suppose. It might have to do what people hear when they grow up. I heard a lot of african and brazilian and jazz music when I was a kid, and my musical/visual/textural aspects of psychedelia often have to do with very WOODEN, "retro production" sound, in contrast to the more widespread synthetic sound.

My friend, have you not noticed that electronic music and the current state of the larger psychedelic culture are inseparably intertwined? That's not a mistake.

Psychedelic music is mind-manifesting music. In that sense, all music is "psychedelic" to some degree. And in any sense, your appreciation of the psychedelic qualities of exotic jazz does not make psychedelic electronic or psychedelic rock or psychedelic pop or psychedelic hip hop or psychedelic anything any less psychedelic. And the fact that psytrance happens to be called psytrance should not in any way imply that psytrance has any kind of monopoly on the psychedelia that is to be experienced through electronic music.

It just so happens that tightly produced electronic music has roughly the same impact on the music world that the sheen of digital graphics has on the visual world. This can be used to great effect, like, for example, when many mutually-fitted layers conspire to form a complete environment of audio. How can that situation be nonpsychedelic? Does it get much more mind-manifesting than when the work, the expression of a mind, is itself immersive?

I don't hear/see this "wheel of fire" though.

Have you ever seen a million dollars? :emotawesomepm9:

Are there any specific textural or melodic elements that specifically reference it to you, as the composer?

Man did you really just ask that question? =(

The pieces make sense specifically in the context of the entire composition. The track is practically a musical fractal, with all of its constituent pieces being "uniquely similar," and with its cycles-within-cycles structures.

I did apply a vague set of guidelines to its structure to help me along though, based on the visual structure of a wheel-of-fire-type painting by Alex Grey.

VISION%20CRYSTAL%20WEB.jpg

But really, if you need to ask a question like that, I wonder if you're actually listening to the music or if you're just analyzing pieces of it using some kind of strange reductionistic and exclusive artistic ideology.

I don't want to have to argue about this with you. You strike me thus far as one of the most agreeable posters on this board. :V

just to make sure you understand: I am only discussing the qualities interpretable as psychedelic because of my own interest in creating what, subjectively, I consider so. This is a "psychedelic" musician to "psychedelic" musician conversation.

For me, one of the most visual aspects of this track is specifically the non-distinct pounding drum sound on the 4th eight note of your 2-bar rhythm in the very beginning of the track. The same goes for a certain drum texture that occurs in the very last "intense dubstep" beat part that ends your track.

I think what I'm calling psychedelic I'd like to call more specifically "DMT/hyperspatial synaesthetic audio-visual architecture/organics" -inducing sounds. The track I've heard of yours that created in me the most recognizable forms was "my body is the axis mundi" because of the cyclic breathing sounding loop.

Guest Erothyme

just to make sure you understand: I am only discussing the qualities interpretable as psychedelic because of my own interest in creating what, subjectively, I consider so. This is a "psychedelic" musician to "psychedelic" musician conversation.

Good to hear, given that most people don't seem to be capable of recognizing why it's even worth thinking about.

I think what I'm calling psychedelic I'd like to call more specifically "DMT/hyperspatial synaesthetic audio-visual architecture/organics" -inducing sounds.

Same here in a sense, but I suppose you could say that I am approaching the art of sonically painting the DMT Dome through patterns, themes, and dancable rhythms and the interactions between such things (as that appears to me to be what the art form of electronic dance music hinges on in the first place), rather than through focusing primarily on sound-design itself. Unless you are, as I am, willing to make the connection that composing music is itself sound-design in a broader sense.

"And on the 6th day God created PM's"

Hur hur hur.

But there is no need for PMing when the discussion is relevant and might be interesting to someone (I pity the music forum that contains no more than two people who find this subject interesting).

Would you rather the forum be mundane? 8)

Archived