IGNORED

British Culture

Guest ezkerraldean

Guest ezkerraldean

Time-Keeping

In Britain, punctuality is quite important and people will expect you to arrive on time. This is especially true of formal meetings such as lectures and seminars, which are expected to start promptly. The only times when you will not be expected to arrive on time are casual social gatherings e.g. student parties where people usually arrive anywhere between 30 minutes - 4 hours after the 'official' start of the party!

Social Behaviour

Here are some very general guidelines of the differences you may find in social behaviour in the UK. They are not true for all people, as there are differences in personalities and individuals within a culture. There are also a lot of people from various backgrounds and cultures in the UK, so do not expect this to be true in all cases.

British people have sometimes been stereotyped as being cold or reserved. They may appear to be like this, but it is not normally because they are trying to be unfriendly, but often can be because they do not want to offend or invade your privacy.

Most people will greet each other by shaking hands the first time they meet (especially men), but you may also see friends hugging one another (usually women).

The relationship between men and women may be more formal or less formal than you are used to - some students are surprised to see couples holding hands or kissing in public, which is a fairly common occurence.

Men and women are entitled to equal respect in the UK and you may be surprised to see women in a variety of professional roles. You may also be surprised to see them taking part in the same activities as men e.g. drinking, smoking.

British people will often hold a door open for one another - this is true of men and women, although in old fashioned terms a 'gentleman' is supposed to hold a door open for a woman.

Queuing (waiting in a line) is very important to British people - it is seen as very rude to push in front of a queue. If you are not sure if there is a line, be sure to ask someone.

English people tend to use a lot of polite words - 'please', 'thank you', 'sorry' and 'excuse me'. People sometimes apologise even when something is not their fault!

The British sense of humour can be very confusing - sarcasm is often used, as well as surreal humour.

When eating, it is generally considered impolite to make loud noises while you eat.

Eye contact is seen as being sincere rather than impolite and if you look away a lot in a conversation, people may consider it rude as if you are not really listening or not telling the truth.

Nodding the head means 'yes' and shaking the head means 'no'.

Extreme physical closeness (e.g. standing very close to someone) in a conversation may make British people feel uncomfortable.

It is not usual for British people to be totally direct with someone e.g. in making a critical comment or refusing a request, as they do not like to offend or upset others. In the same way it is not usual to ask direct questions, e.g. how much someone earns, or how much someone weighs.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following may be of help to tourists and first time visitors to Scotland for those that are travelling from Down South (Englandshire) way.

It is considered bad manners for tourists to pay for drinks in Glasgow ... just run up a tab and the locals will happy to pick it up when you leave. Usually the biggest person in the bar (referred to as The Numpty) will pay. eg:

BARMAN: That will be twenty pounds sir.

TOURIST: The Big Numpty over there is paying.

BARMAN: That will do nicely sir.

BIG NUMPTY: Welcome to Scotland.

In Highland pubs always ask for plenty of water when drinking the local single malts, this tells the locals that you like it so much that you want to make it last longer. After your first sip announce to everyone in the bar in a loud voice "This is pish!" from the Gaelic Piesh Na lavvy meaning Water of God.

The Scottish Police force actively encourage tourists to take their hats as souvenirs. When you address one, remember that Policemen are known in Scotland by the old Gaelic word "keech".

Elderly people are banned from Scottish towns on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you see any, gently restrain them until a police officer arrives (This may also provide you with an opportunity to get a souvenir hat).

Of historical note is that William Wallace escaped the army of Oliver Cromwell by jumping over The River Forth at Perth on a motorbike - >You can try it too.

The beautiful village of John O’ Groats has Scotland's largest hypermarket and multiscreen cinema complex - It is only a short taxi ride from Glasgow.

Braemar is famous for its miles of sandy beaches and has some of the best surfing in Europe.

Balmoral Castle sits on top of Ben Nevis near Sauchiehall Street in Edinburgh. There is a cable car from Edinburgh zoo to the top of Ben Nevis.

Because of its great height Ben Nevis offers all year round skiing and there is a wonderful revolving restaurant on the roof of the castle.

Often you will see men in bowler hats marching about playing the flute and banging a drum. This is part of a multi-denominational religious ceremony and the object of this procession is to collect pictures of religious leaders which must be stuck to the drum. Any images, particularly those of the Pope will be greatly appreciated.

There is a nocturnal thistle called a "Spiky Jessie" which is found on Calton Hill in Edinburgh. As these flowers only open at night a trip up the hill is recommended. Just tell a taxi driver that you want to go up Calton Hill to take pictures of the Jessies coming out and he will be happy to oblige.

The Latin inscription on Edinburgh's coat of arms translates as, “You'll have had your tea, then?"

The most popular hotel in Glasgow is called The Barlinnie.

Glasgow operates a policy of plain clothed street bankers. As it is well known that carrying small change can tear people's pockets, these bankers will approach tourists and ask if they have any spare change. Once given this money they will exchange it for coins or notes of a higher denomination. In order to deter criminals, these Banker often dress in a scruffy unkempt manner but they are all highly trained in finance.

Edinburgh zoo has a unique 'Adopt-an-animal' scheme whereby tourists may take home any animal they wish.

At many beauty spots you will find musicians playing the bagpipes. They are employed by the Scottish Government to provide tourists with spending money which can be found in the bowls that are always beside them. Feel free to take as much money as you want, but remember that you have to spend it locally.

If you go to a concert by The Royal Scottish National Orchestra it is considered impolite not to shout "Hoots!" during quiet sections of music.

Celtic FC are known as the Gers due to the club being formed by Gerry O'Malley, a Fruit importer who was the first man to introduce citrus fruit to Scotland. So if you walk into a pub filled with people wearing green and white say, "Up the Gers, I'm proud to be an orange man!" and you will receive a very warm welcome.

"Jobbie" is a word meaning a lot of effort has gone into producing something; ie. When you have enjoyed a meal, tell the waiter that it tasted like a great jobbie.

• Like 1

pretty much everything the OP said is exactly the same as in Canada. That being said I've always felt like I would fit in alot better with Brits than Canadians/Americans.

On that note, taking a trip to the UK is among my highest vacation priorities

Edited by thehauntingsoul

pretty much everything the OP said is exactly the same as in Canada. That being said I've always felt like I would fit in alot better with Brits than Canadians/Americans.

Sounds good man, I'll put you up

on a large cross in my garden

Story I overheard in a British pub:

"See, the thing about Dave is.... He won't 'urt ya.... he'll kill ya!"

Safe to say that Dave is pretty badass.

The following may be of help to tourists and first time visitors to Scotland for those that are travelling from Down South (Englandshire) way.

It is considered bad manners for tourists to pay for drinks in Glasgow ... just run up a tab and the locals will happy to pick it up when you leave. Usually the biggest person in the bar (referred to as The Numpty) will pay. eg:

omlol

Guest abusivegeorge

Fuck you bunch of ironic cunts.

Sounds good man, I'll put you up

on a large cross in my garden

Fuckin lol!

You're welcome to stay with me Dan you know that.

Guest ezkerraldean

Story I overheard in a British pub:

"See, the thing about Dave is.... He won't 'urt ya.... he'll kill ya!"

Safe to say that Dave is pretty badass.

shit man, don't mess with dave. we should have him here as a moderator, he'd put things straight

I think the British are really judgmental, stuck up and seemingly more grumpy than most cultures. I'm sure I'm misunderstanding the culture though. The world would be much more boring without them

Edited by marf

Guest Coalbucket PI

just moved into acommodation with a whole bunch of new to england foreigners, most of them think because they speak good english, like football etc that they will be fine. they will not. a few of them have never used cutlery before. nearly killed a guy with a pint of guinness on sunday

Time-Keeping

In Britain, punctuality is quite important and people will expect you to arrive on time. This is especially true of formal meetings such as lectures and seminars, which are expected to start promptly. The only times when you will not be expected to arrive on time are casual social gatherings e.g. student parties where people usually arrive anywhere between 30 minutes - 4 hours after the 'official' start of the party!

Social Behaviour

Here are some very general guidelines of the differences you may find in social behaviour in the UK. They are not true for all people, as there are differences in personalities and individuals within a culture. There are also a lot of people from various backgrounds and cultures in the UK, so do not expect this to be true in all cases.

British people have sometimes been stereotyped as being cold or reserved. They may appear to be like this, but it is not normally because they are trying to be unfriendly, but often can be because they do not want to offend or invade your privacy.

Most people will greet each other by shaking hands the first time they meet (especially men), but you may also see friends hugging one another (usually women).

The relationship between men and women may be more formal or less formal than you are used to - some students are surprised to see couples holding hands or kissing in public, which is a fairly common occurence.

Men and women are entitled to equal respect in the UK and you may be surprised to see women in a variety of professional roles. You may also be surprised to see them taking part in the same activities as men e.g. drinking, smoking.

British people will often hold a door open for one another - this is true of men and women, although in old fashioned terms a 'gentleman' is supposed to hold a door open for a woman.

Queuing (waiting in a line) is very important to British people - it is seen as very rude to push in front of a queue. If you are not sure if there is a line, be sure to ask someone.

English people tend to use a lot of polite words - 'please', 'thank you', 'sorry' and 'excuse me'. People sometimes apologise even when something is not their fault!

The British sense of humour can be very confusing - sarcasm is often used, as well as surreal humour.

When eating, it is generally considered impolite to make loud noises while you eat.

Eye contact is seen as being sincere rather than impolite and if you look away a lot in a conversation, people may consider it rude as if you are not really listening or not telling the truth.

Nodding the head means 'yes' and shaking the head means 'no'.

Extreme physical closeness (e.g. standing very close to someone) in a conversation may make British people feel uncomfortable.

It is not usual for British people to be totally direct with someone e.g. in making a critical comment or refusing a request, as they do not like to offend or upset others. In the same way it is not usual to ask direct questions, e.g. how much someone earns, or how much someone weighs.

In Highland pubs always ask for plenty of water when drinking the local single malts, this tells the locals that you like it so much that you want to make it last longer. After your first sip announce to everyone in the bar in a loud voice "This is pish!" from the Gaelic Piesh Na lavvy meaning Water of God.

The Scottish Police force actively encourage tourists to take their hats as souvenirs. When you address one, remember that Policemen are known in Scotland by the old Gaelic word "keech".

Elderly people are banned from Scottish towns on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you see any, gently restrain them until a police officer arrives (This may also provide you with an opportunity to get a souvenir hat).

Of historical note is that William Wallace escaped the army of Oliver Cromwell by jumping over The River Forth at Perth on a motorbike - >You can try it too.

The beautiful village of John O’ Groats has Scotland's largest hypermarket and multiscreen cinema complex - It is only a short taxi ride from Glasgow.

Braemar is famous for its miles of sandy beaches and has some of the best surfing in Europe.

Balmoral Castle sits on top of Ben Nevis near Sauchiehall Street in Edinburgh. There is a cable car from Edinburgh zoo to the top of Ben Nevis.

Because of its great height Ben Nevis offers all year round skiing and there is a wonderful revolving restaurant on the roof of the castle.

Often you will see men in bowler hats marching about playing the flute and banging a drum. This is part of a multi-denominational religious ceremony and the object of this procession is to collect pictures of religious leaders which must be stuck to the drum. Any images, particularly those of the Pope will be greatly appreciated.

There is a nocturnal thistle called a "Spiky Jessie" which is found on Calton Hill in Edinburgh. As these flowers only open at night a trip up the hill is recommended. Just tell a taxi driver that you want to go up Calton Hill to take pictures of the Jessies coming out and he will be happy to oblige.

The Latin inscription on Edinburgh's coat of arms translates as, “You'll have had your tea, then?"

The most popular hotel in Glasgow is called The Barlinnie.

Glasgow operates a policy of plain clothed street bankers. As it is well known that carrying small change can tear people's pockets, these bankers will approach tourists and ask if they have any spare change. Once given this money they will exchange it for coins or notes of a higher denomination. In order to deter criminals, these Banker often dress in a scruffy unkempt manner but they are all highly trained in finance.

Edinburgh zoo has a unique 'Adopt-an-animal' scheme whereby tourists may take home any animal they wish.

At many beauty spots you will find musicians playing the bagpipes. They are employed by the Scottish Government to provide tourists with spending money which can be found in the bowls that are always beside them. Feel free to take as much money as you want, but remember that you have to spend it locally.

If you go to a concert by The Royal Scottish National Orchestra it is considered impolite not to shout "Hoots!" during quiet sections of music.

Celtic FC are known as the Gers due to the club being formed by Gerry O'Malley, a Fruit importer who was the first man to introduce citrus fruit to Scotland. So if you walk into a pub filled with people wearing green and white say, "Up the Gers, I'm proud to be an orange man!" and you will receive a very warm welcome.

"Jobbie" is a word meaning a lot of effort has gone into producing something; ie. When you have enjoyed a meal, tell the waiter that it tasted like a great jobbie.

*stifles UK tourist boner*

Wow, this sounds like way more fun than I thought it would be! I'm not even going to pack!

Guest abusivegeorge

No seriously dude pack, and England is fucking great actually, not being patriotic or anything, but I've been all over the place, not around the world, but all over europe, and various countries outside, and England is still my favourite, I beleive it's because it is the only place I can truly be my cuntish self and stil be udnerstood by everyone, also, Cornwall and Scotland are awesome, Breacon mountains in Wales is worth a trip too.

Guest ezkerraldean
Breacon mountains in Wales is worth a trip too.

i used to live on a farm in the brecon beacons, never been happier than i was there. i miss it so much

*sigh*

Edited by ezkerraldean