IGNORED

post pics of your cat(s)

Guest thanksomuch

90fef089225c1218d1aea9721ebdf75e.jpg

lol

what an adventurous individual.

my cat once got the courage to get on top of the ledge of our 2nd floor balcony and dropped cause he got scared of the vacuum or something (can't remember it was like 7 years ago). He landed on the laundry rack fortunately but ended up developing some kind of ptsd and rejected all emotion in his life and did nothing but sleep after that.

so he ended up being like me in the end so it's alright

lol

my cat once got the courage to get on top of the ledge of our 2nd floor balcony and dropped cause he got scared of the vacuum or something (can't remember it was like 7 years ago). He landed on the laundry rack fortunately but ended up developing some kind of ptsd and rejected all emotion in his life and did nothing but sleep after that.

1) Yeah...Moe "Meow" Tucker (that's her name lol) actually takes naps up on the door almost daily...she splays her limbs out for stability and then literally fall asleep

2) regarding PTSD:

You and your cat share a limbic system (among lots of other stuff), and what happens when you suffer any sort of traumatic anomaly is that it 'teaches' you that all anomalies are painful and full of snakes, so probably best to avoid them as much as possible.

(But of course you can't actually avoid them entirely, so the anomalies you DO encounter cause you stress and anxiety because your amygdala just assumes those anomalies are full of snakes because that's a much better evolutionary strategy than exposing oneself to potential danger or death)

The solution is actually very simple (conceptually, at least) for you (and your cat, too!): gradually and voluntarily exposure yourself to anomalies (i.e. things that cause you stress and anxiety), so you can 'map' them and thus determine how to act upon them. (Q: Why do people look both ways when they cross the street? A: To gain information about the environment in order to 'map' it and thus safely act within/upon it)

The anomalies that you should expose yourself to could be memories, they could be specific people or the social world at large, they could be the uncertain future, they could be certain places, and it doesn't really matter what or where it is: as far as your amygdala and hippocampus are concerned, they're all just anomalies in the 'phenomenological field' that need solving/analyzing/mapping.

But anyway, the goal isn't to convince your limbic system that the world ISN'T full of snakes, but rather that yes the world is full of snakes but you are evolved especially to slay dragons (otherwise your ancestors would've failed and you wouldn't be here in the first place)

Anyway, good luck

(and feel free to PM me if there's ever anything I can do to help)

Cheers

lol

1) Yeah...Moe "Meow" Tucker (that's her name lol) actually takes naps up on the door almost daily...she splays her limbs out for stability and then literally fall asleep

2) regarding PTSD:

You and your cat share a limbic system (among lots of other stuff), and what happens when you suffer any sort of traumatic anomaly is that it 'teaches' you that all anomalies are painful and full of snakes, so probably best to avoid them as much as possible.

(But of course you can't actually avoid them entirely, so the anomalies you DO encounter cause you stress and anxiety because your amygdala just assumes those anomalies are full of snakes because that's a much better evolutionary strategy than exposing oneself to potential danger or death)

The solution is actually very simple (conceptually, at least) for you (and your cat, too!): gradually and voluntarily exposure yourself to anomalies (i.e. things that cause you stress and anxiety), so you can 'map' them and thus determine how to act upon them. (Q: Why do people look both ways when they cross the street? A: To gain information about the environment in order to 'map' it and thus safely act within/upon it)

The anomalies that you should expose yourself to could be memories, they could be specific people or the social world at large, they could be the uncertain future, they could be certain places, and it doesn't really matter what or where it is: as far as your amygdala and hippocampus are concerned, they're all just anomalies in the 'phenomenological field' that need solving/analyzing/mapping.

But anyway, the goal isn't to convince your limbic system that the world ISN'T full of snakes, but rather that yes the world is full of snakes but you are evolved especially to slay dragons (otherwise your ancestors would've failed and you wouldn't be here in the first place)

Anyway, good luck

(and feel free to PM me if there's ever anything I can do to help)

Cheers

I should clarify I don't have ptsd if that's what you understood? I was refering to my cat being like me as in he sleeps all day and that.

In any case that was actually very helpful advise, thanks very much.

I'm going to assume you're a psychologist and I didn't waste your time with that haha

Edited by Kidrodi

Oh sorry I'm dumb lol

But yeah my other cat ('Flaubert') is kinda that way

Whenever he seems kinda depressed I try to expose him to safe novelty

Like opening a seltzer bottle next to him

Or putting him in a part of the apartment that he doesn't normally go

(Like up on top of the cupboards)

And within a couple hours he's running around, ready to play

Oh sorry I'm dumb lol

But yeah my other cat ('Flaubert') is kinda that way

Whenever he seems kinda depressed I try to expose him to safe novelty

Like opening a seltzer bottle next to him

Or putting him in a part of the apartment that he doesn't normally go

(Like up on top of the cupboards)

And within a couple hours he's running around, ready to play

Yeah, that's extactly what I do too! Especially the showing him places part. I always pick him up and put him somewhere weird or I'll open the window and let him look at the birds and stuff.

I don't know if I do it consciously to cheer him up or anything, I just want him to be happy at all times. He probably doesn't care though lol

Your cats' names are phenomenal btw

rip Chevy probably the greatest runt ever invented

http://i.imgur.com/QYiiptr.jpg

dvd extra: if you type "cat eating weed" in google she comes up first and I have no idea how this pic got out there, I try to stay pretty low key.  But I was very proud of this.  She will live on through the WorldWideWeb & in my heart.

Edited by cloud capture

rip Chevy probably the greatest runt ever invented

http://i.imgur.com/QYiiptr.jpg

dvd extra: if you type "cat eating weed" in google she comes up first and I have no idea how this pic got out there, I try to stay pretty low key.  But I was very proud of this.  She will live on through the WorldWideWeb & in my heart.

that's a beautifull cat, sad to hear man, RIP

also that bud looks delicious, wooow!!

Moe "Meow" Tucker loves to get stoned

She goes out of her way to stick her head in clouds of smoke

Then she sits there and listens to music

lol

my cats also enjoy sitting in front of the speakers, the ginger one always masturbates on the most brutal shit

they don't seem be bothered by heavy weed smoke but i wonder sometimes if it might be harmfull for them :sad:

Moe "Meow" Tucker loves to get stoned

She goes out of her way to stick her head in clouds of smoke

Then she sits there and listens to music

lol

my cats also enjoy sitting in front of the speakers, the ginger one always masturbates on the most brutal shit

they don't seem be bothered by heavy weed smoke but i wonder sometimes if it might be harmfull for them :sad:

It's fine for them (mentally, at least) unless they're neurotic

(e.g. If they're prone to flinching or biting in response to anomalies)

Weed paranoia (like all paranoia) is just 'morbid anomaly hypothesizing'

(e.g, "what was that noise? Is that the CIA sneaking around in the walls?")

It stems from (physical or emotional) pain, whereby one's amygdala has been conditioned to interpret all anomalies (beyond a certain threshold) as threats, and your hypothalamus (I think) starts generating possible explanations for those ambiguous threats

(Any organism with a limbic system works that way...so cats have an imagination...and p.s. Your cat also has dreams about you lol)

[

^it's just me who's paranoid in the room that's for sure but i just hope the smoke isn't to harmfull for their health

i'd love to know what my cat is imagining when he's dry humping his fav pillow, he's castrated but he can still cum :catnope:

^it's just me who's paranoid in the room that's for sure but i just hope the smoke isn't to harmfull for their health

i'd love to know what my cat is imagining when he's dry humping his fav pillow, he's castrated but he can still cum :catnope:

lol

Nothing can stop the cummies

But a good rule of thumb is to start from the assumption that all mammals think/feel/behave roughly the way you do, and then work from there

I mean, what roughly happens with motivational states (e.g. sexual desire) is that

a) you encounter a stimulus (e.g. a memory of a sexual encounter; cute girl/boy on the street; or really anything that might remind you of sex...perhaps a pillow if it approximately looks like a sexual partner*)

b) your hypothalamus generates sexual fantasy (we know this is the process because of the neuropsychological literature on increased sexual desire in ovulating women, which is triggered by hormones in the blood)

c) to put it bluntly: your cerebral cortex determines whether it's safe (short-term and long-term) to hump the thing that's making you horny

So anyway your cat is responding to a visual/olfactory pattern (you know how we tend to see faces in randomness? Same basic mechanism) and that runs through their 'social intelligence' (for lack of a better term) and that determines a motor output response (i.e. "Hump the visual/olfactory pattern!" or "Ooze will yell if I hump the pillow, so I'll wait until he's not home")

Obviously cats don't have all the sophisticated cerebral bits that humans do, so just factor that into your assessment

Cloud - if you're ever growing again - hit me up so I can tell you how to get your plants looking like sticky sex bushes.

Also, again, I'm sorry for your loss bud. She seems like such a sweetheart :/

Anyone have tips for asocial aggression?

We've had this cat for almost 3 years, we are nothing but nice to it but if you get within 2 paces of it it starts hissing or scratching, if you pick it up it will scratch you to shreds whilst simultaneously peeing all over. (easy solution is just not to pick it up, I know). Edit: I'm not exaggerating either. This is 100% of the time, its become a household meme to us it hisses so much. Sometimes I'll just walk into a room and it starts hissing and then bolts..? =/

We've tried so many things.

It was a barn cat for the first couple months of its life, not sure if that contributed? Anyways its always scared of people its really frustrating.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

lol well I'm prolly not going to do that ooze das mean.

I kind of think yeah it's probably damaged.... It always has like a semi feral look in its eyes, wont look anyone in the eyes and you can always see it is eyeing an escape route.

I feel bad for it we just want it to be happy. Maybe being a barn cat it had owls and coyotes and stuff after it, its in constant fight or flight mode =(

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj