IGNORED

What song got you into electronic music?

sneaksta303

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kraftwerk - The Robots

This was one of my favorite songs as a little kid. My parents had it on a mixtape for me, and I think it all really comes back to this. I also liked a lot of 80s synth pop like A Flock of Seagulls (lol) thanks to my parents too.

I think getting really into Eiffel 65 (lol) as a 10 year old was some of my first exploration into electronic music on my own. My uncle made electronic music and he gave me a copy of Acid Techno 3.0 where I made really cheesy loop based techno as a 12 year old. That led to online electronic communities where I mostly listened to trance and techno. Then came Drum N Bass. All of this was stuff by amateur internet musicians on acidplanet.com There was this guy on there by the name of Bexarametric who made Drum N Bass and "IDM". This shit flipped my wig as a 12-13 year old. Checked his influence list...Bought Drukqs... LOL and here I am!

lots of things from 81 82 83 ish like

afrika bambaataa - planet rock

herbie hancock - rockit

edit: also ATARI 2600 - Circus Atari / Combat

Dead on! You must be in your early 30s like me?

For me it was most definitely hearing Prince's Erotic City as a kid- completely made me want a synth of some kind. Still love that song (though I really had no idea what he was really talking about back then :blush: )

Also other stuff like Rockit, Jam on It by Newcleus and True Faith by New Order were definitely influential.

This is a great topic btw!

Bah, I forgot about TKK and KMFDM :facepalm:

and ministry, and...

I just lumped all that into industrial...while it involved electronics and some of it danceable (not that that matters), there were also rock elements (heavy on some albums) so I don't consider that the start of my electronic music listening.

well at what point did you start listening to either TKK or ministry? both bands until the very late 90s were making almost entirely synth based music. it wasn't until Land of Rape and honey that ministry started doing metal and TKK's first album is tasty gothic synth pop with no guitars to my knowledge

well at what point did you start listening to either TKK or ministry? both bands until the very late 90s were making almost entirely synth based music. it wasn't until Land of Rape and honey that ministry started doing metal and TKK's first album is tasty gothic synth pop with no guitars to my knowledge

i dunno if you were talking to me or him, but with TKK, it was the Kooler than Jesus single, which was totally electronic (and came out immediately following the 1st LP), but with ministry, I believe it was indeed the land of rape and honey. I didn't hear twitch or with sympathy until the next month lol... But growing up in and around chicago, the whole wax trax scene was very influential as I was coming up. Despite that, for some reason when I made this thread those influences never crossed my mind.... wtf....

i guess this was the one track that really won me over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKI_EoCIexo

i was all about hiphop before i found fsol, then i started to reject hiphop and listen to nothing but jungle, dnb and fsol for about a year or so, and then i found rephlex, and warp, and so on.

also, for a short while i thought atari teenage riot was the shit. sry.

cool story huh?

i guess this was the one track that really won me over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3zDV5V3SPg

i was all about hiphop before i found fsol, then i started to reject hiphop and listen to nothing but jungle, dnb and fsol for about a year or so, and then i found rephlex, and warp, and so on.

also, for a short while i thought atari teenage riot was the shit. sry.

cool story huh?

I didn't know that song was FSOL. Never really explored them. Didn't like their name... How superficial of me. You aren't alone in the ATR thing... I liked their name.

for me it was probably built up over time from a lot of different things

listening to a lot of mainstream dance/techno music and building from there, continuing to explore different kinds of electronic music

lots of early moby and jan hammer stuff

also believe it or not the soundtrack to donkey kong country 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D65TT5Ieb4M

Yeah I thought about that as I was posting but didn't feel like rewriting...it does depend at what point in each band's career we're talking about. And I assume that was a typo and you meant late 80s. I know Ministry didn't bring guitars in until Land of Rape and Honey, and I think KMFDM brought them in as early as Naïve (1990). I guess it wasn't until Confessions of a Knife that TKK used them...so yeah, late 80s/early 90s...which is the stuff I started with for each of those bands.

actually, the more i think about the past, the more i realize that even before all the other stuff i was really into the music from skyroads for the pc. i'd just put the music on and listen to it forever. the music still gets to me, check this out:

this has to be the greatest video game soundtrack of all time

Guest Calx Sherbet

lol. they are both good, but i can imagine it's just harsh hearing a butchering of a fond musical memory

donkey kong country 1 and 2 are both amazing

Archived