IGNORED

What song got you into electronic music?

sneaksta303

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i feel you, by the time i heard Daft Punk's first single i was already a curmudgeonly jaded scoffer old man style electronic music fan. 'this shit's on the radio? shits just a 303 through overdrive' just kidding, i actually didn't even know what a 303 was back then but i was already becoming a jaded bastard

i feel you, by the time i heard Daft Punk's first single i was already a curmudgeonly jaded scoffer old man style electronic music fan. 'this shit's on the radio? shits just a 303 through overdrive' just kidding, i actually didn't even know what a 303 was back then but i was already becoming a jaded bastard

I honestly wish I grew up with Kraftwerk and stuff.

I am going to get so much hate for this, but...

Eiffel 65's "Europop" and Daft Punk's "Discovery".

no shame in discovery!

that is a superbly produced and engineered album!

I still like it. I just know there's a lot of hate for Daft Punk around here. I'd feel odd abandoning the stuff (the ridiculing that got me into this genre, really.

I don't quite remember the first electronic track, but it was whatever was popular in the late 80s-early 90s. I eventually discovered mtv's partyzong sometime in 92-93 and watched it religiously. First tapes/cds that I bought were like prodigy - experience, moby - s/t, plastikman - musik, westbam - bam bam bam, members of mayday compilations, trance europe express compilations or any compilation with techno, rave, or dance written on it.

The first tracks I heard for each artist that I currently love in electronic are as follows:

Autechre-
Overall: Dropp
Draft 7.30: 6IE.CR
Quaristice: chenc9
Untilted: LCC
EP7: Dropp then Pir
LP5: Acroyear2
Confield: Parhelic Triangle

Boards of Canada-
Overall: Everything You Do Is A Balloon
Geogaddi: Music is Math
Music Has The Right to Children: Telephasic Workshop
The Campfire Headphase: Chromakey Dreamcoat

AFX-
Overall: Donkey Rhubarb
Don't want to list albums

Venetian Snares-
Overall: Einstein Rosen Bridge

*shrug*

wtfgreentext

NIN helped introduce me to The Orb and Meat Beat Manifesto.

Damn...how could I forget MBM? Probably one of the first industrial-related acts I listened to that was purely electronic. If my memory wasn't such a blur I'd say with confidence I was into them before I got into Underworld. Still though, MBM didn't project me into the electronic world like Underworld did. I still stayed in the industrial and rock circles for a while.

I guess I could have a lot of answers on this one. I could say videogame music but this was back in the day when music was music and Megaman and Sonic and Mario and all that other shit was awesome regardless. Then after I was older and started listening to Trent Reznor plumb the not-hard-to-reach depths of my adolescent soul I got into some of it from there. That said, the song that got me into IDM as I know it today is Girl Boy Song after a teacher played it for us in a sound class.

But for hilarity's sake, I'm going with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynoL3iGgEYc

Guest Glass Plate

I think my flow of artists is like

Fat Boy Slim/Moby/Chemical Brothers --> Fischerspooner/Daft Punk/Four Tet --> Aphex Twin/BoC/Mu-Ziq/Squarepusher --> Explosion of insane amounts of music.

Guest Stoppit

Probably tracks from the Metalheadz metalbox compilation by Digital, Ed Rush, Optical, Hidden Agenda, Photek, Dillinja etc

And a lot of Mega Drive game music (Streets of Rage!)

Archived