IGNORED

What song got you into electronic music?

sneaksta303

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest narkeworld

New Order's 'Substance' in 1988, I also was into the electro track 'Electric Kingdom' back in 85, but 'Substance' led the way to 808 State and some Happy Mondays "dance" remixes, then onto techno and other forms of electronic music.

smack my bitch up, i think

still a good song i think. it's obnoxious, fun, and has balls.

AND it uses a vocal sample of kool keith throughout.

on a similar note. I only just recently worked out that the main line from Fatboy Slim's "Right Here, Right Now" is a sample from the movie Strange Days.

smack my bitch up, i think

still a good song i think. it's obnoxious, fun, and has balls.

AND it uses a vocal sample of kool keith throughout.

on a similar note. I only just recently worked out that the main line from Fatboy Slim's "Right Here, Right Now" is a sample from the movie Strange Days.

Yeah, I just watched that and noticed that too!

I think my flow of artists is like

Fat Boy Slim/Moby/Chemical Brothers --> Fischerspooner/Daft Punk/Four Tet --> Aphex Twin/BoC/Mu-Ziq/Squarepusher --> Explosion of insane amounts of music.

I like this way of doing it, as it's hard to pin down an exact song. Plus it depends on what you mean by 'electronic'. So my flow is something like this:

1. Early 90's Chart Dance a la 2 Unlimited, Snap, Blackbox etc - '95-'98

2. Moby/ DJ Shadow/ Cafe del Mar/ Bent and other mainstream 'chillout' artists - inspired by adverts around 99 - 2000

3. At the same time as chillout, Happy Hardcore, Jungle, Old Skool, Rave and UK Garage(from this point on I wanted to be a DJ)

4. Aphex Twin/ BoC/ Squarepusher and all manner of IDM - 2001 - 2003

5. At the same time as IDM, a lot of DnB - DnB was big in the UK in this period, plus I was 19 years old

6. Then The Cure, Cocteau Twins, 4AD, 80's alternative (during this period I also started constantly searching for 'classic' albums 2004 - 2006

7. Now, pretty much everything and nothing i.e. my tastes have been blown wide open, but nothing quite does it for me anymore.

Guest blicero

Tour de France was probably my first introduction... or maybe Bambataa... all courtesey of the Electrifying Mojo.

But the first song that really made me start going nuts on electronic music was Squarepusher Theme. i was a bass player at the time and it blew my mind.

block rockin beats i think

that was one of my most hated songs ever along with everything fatboy slim and the rest of the "big beat" gang did

i was all over the bigbeat thing but i'm younger than you and live in a place that i could barely say has a scene so.....block rockin beats !

Guest Renivatio

almost every 80s synthpop mentioned in this thread so far, but what really hooked me was Kraftwerk- "Spacelab."

I remember I was only five years old n shit, and I found this old mixtape my mother had and I was blown away by this one track. :emotawesomepm9:

almost every 80s synthpop mentioned in this thread so far, but what really hooked me was Kraftwerk- "Spacelab."

I remember I was only five years old n shit, and I found this old mixtape my mother had and I was blown away by this one track. :emotawesomepm9:

Crazy! The first album I bought as a kid (~5th grade) was Kraftwerk - The Mix. I then proceeded to buy The Man-Machine, and I listened to Spacelab non-stop. These two albums got me into electronic music, and Spacelab is still one of the best tracks around.

That's awesome! My mom listens to Elvis...

lots of things from 81 82 83 ish like

herbie hancock - rockit

human league - being boiled

These were most definitely implicated for me, and Kraftwerk's 'The Model'. And does Tubeway Army's 'Are Friends Electric?' count? I had that before it got to number one in the charts, I was such a cool 8 or 9 year old. And you said not to be ashamed sneaks, so several of the 12" remixes of Harold Faltermeyer's 'Axel F' played a part as well.

LUDD, I'm certain Human League did 'Rock 'n' Roll' on TOTP once too. It scared me.

I think my flow of artists is like

Fat Boy Slim/Moby/Chemical Brothers --> Fischerspooner/Daft Punk/Four Tet --> Aphex Twin/BoC/Mu-Ziq/Squarepusher --> Explosion of insane amounts of music.

Damn that's pretty similar to my path. 2003--> 2004 --> 2005 --> 05-present. Listened to Aphex Twin in 04' though and didn't listen to Moby as much; more of a Basement Jaxx fan. Before that I was just a casual rock listener and liked some indie stuff...and Radiohead, b/c who doesn't love Radiohead. lol

Before that, as a kid, I loved a lot of videogame soundtracks (sega genesis, gameboy), dug synthpop from the 80s, and liked films with wacky electronic scores. I think that is the case with most of us anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbMbTx6HyvE

or it was some random techno track I heard that used samples from Dune, sure you guys know what I am talking about....saying stuff like' "The Spice must flow", "The Spice Is Life", "Fear is the mind killer."

but most definitely nintendo music, John Carpenter films, Blade Runner, The Keep, Dune, any film with synthed out music and a fantastical story....I loved it, still do

Guest abusivegeorge

Ludds music that I heard many many years ago as a child, not sure which of his tunes it may have been but I remember liking them from the start. I'm pretty sure I was subjected to Venetian snares, aphex twin and Vibert in his company too.

I'd like to add Mr. Oizo is a guy that helped draw me towards things that sounded glitched up and experimental. Though I wouldn't call him that, but he has this certain style that's odd that made me want to find more odd stuff.

born slippy nuxx

before 1995 I didnt listen to much electronic music, though it interested me, of course I had enjoyed mainstream dance music from the early ninetees, but with underworld I started to listen to it as if it was rock or simply listening music at home, before this I had never listened to an electronic music album at home

this got me into underworld and I started to see that electronic music was more than just dancing (which is a lot by the way)

I was 20 back then and I was more into indie and brit pop those days

the track that really got me into idm was "Vordhosbn"

so I can say I came a bit late

Archived