IGNORED

My Problem Child

sneaksta303

hmmm, well i really liked the beats and the changing structure of the track... unfortunately i didn't really like the sounds or patterns used in this. it started off sounding very luke viberty which was good, then it kind of went off into (what i thought) were quite cheesy sounding riffs and noises. it flowed really well and there were nice changes and stuff, but i would prefer this if it were more stripped down, and the actual synth patches used were less preset sounding.

what did you make this on x 2?

hmmm, well i really liked the beats and the changing structure of the track... unfortunately i didn't really like the sounds or patterns used in this. it started off sounding very luke viberty which was good, then it kind of went off into (what i thought) were quite cheesy sounding riffs and noises. it flowed really well and there were nice changes and stuff, but i would prefer this if it were more stripped down, and the actual synth patches used were less preset sounding.

what did you make this on x 2?

I dunno man, after listening again after your comment, I can't agree. I didn't use presets for one, and for another, I think it sounds wicked! It sucks I had to mix and master with just headphones because my right speaker's shot. So I've not heard the song proper loud with both channels... :facepalm:

What's x 2?

Nice one man. You've got some skills.

To nitpick it gets to be a bit too busy at a couple points, especially around 1:00 and as BCM said a little less would be more.

With that said, again, nice work. Cheers dude. :beer:

the x 2 was just coz I was the second person to ask the same question...

re: my comments, I'm not saying you did use presets and there's nothing wrong with using them anyway, it's just that the sounds and patterns you have used (especially the "acid" sort of noise) sounds to me like the kind of things that are often present on various synths as a preset. by this I mean it sounds cheesy and cheap. there, I said it. don't want to sound like a cunt, but I find you using the same sorts of sounds on a lot of your tracks and I think you let yourself down... you've got wicked production and arrangement skills that are (in my opinion) not maximised coz you often use a lot of cheesy sounding riffs and noises. I dunno, maybe you can't hear it, but this is not Braindance my opinion, it is "IDM" (with the quotation marks).

like I say, sorry to sound harsh, but I really think your music needs to lose the cheese factor and get seriously dark and stripped down.

re: my comments, I'm not saying you did use presets and there's nothing wrong with using them anyway, it's just that the sounds and patterns you have used (especially the "acid" sort of noise) sounds to me like the kind of things that are often present on various synths as a preset. by this I mean it sounds cheesy and cheap. there, I said it. don't want to sound like a cunt, but I find you using the same sorts of sounds on a lot of your tracks and I think you let yourself down... you've got wicked production and arrangement skills that are (in my opinion) not maximised coz you often use a lot of cheesy sounding riffs and noises. I dunno, maybe you can't hear it, but this is not Braindance my opinion, it is "IDM" (with the quotation marks).

like I say, sorry to sound harsh, but I really think your music needs to lose the cheese factor and get seriously dark and stripped down.

what about the 2nd track?

New one.

Better.

Veteran's March

this one could've been a bunker records release, if only it had been a tad bit darker, less melodic. love the vintage/lo-fi sound of the pads, reminds me of this tune from the warriors soundtrack, can't remember which one though, and also a little bit of 90's katya casio / hong kong counterfeit (or maybe not so much, dunno).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WoA1fJe8w8

anyway, sweet track, 707 beats is always win.

what about the 2nd track?

yeah i prefer this one, but i agree with data that i would have liked it better if it were less melodic and again, darker and more spartan. tbh i'd just like to hear the initial disco loop thing (that kicks the track off), play for 4 minutes odd with not much else over it lol. maybe that with a kick drum layered over the top to pad it out and some kind of real repetitive, dark as fuck bassline. that'd do it for me. less is more. well, for me anyway.

try making some repetitive detroit techno. i dare ya.

lol, that what I tried to do with veteran's march. Then it turned. I wanted it to sound like an S² track at first, but as like all things I touch, it turned to gold/shit.

ah yeah, i know...this happens to me. i made an beatless "ambient" track yesterday and finished it, but then i couldn't leave it alone so stuck an 808 kick drum behind it and some acid. i was loving it.

i never said i would've liked it better if it was darker though, just that if it was, it would sound a bit bunker, legowelt, rude66 ..ish. i've never really been able to do non melodic tracks either, i've tried, but always fail one way or the other, thus the 80's thing.

i think you misunderstood my meaning there

edit: so i better explain... i was just trying to indicate that the track in question sounded (to my ears) more like a stereotypical version of what someone would think an "IDM" track should sound like (and this is not a good thing to me). conversely, by Braindance i was trying to personify the more, if you like, organic and not-over-produced feel of my preferred electronic music artists, most of which are on Rephlex Records, hence the attempt to juxtapose the terms Braindance and "IDM" (including the quotation marks) to illustrate two very different ends of the spectrum.

i think you misunderstood my meaning there

I understood and was deeply hurt/shocked. Maybe it was an eye opener. Despite that, I enjoy the tune. I got your techno coming up. Record time. How long u gunna be up?

Guest Erothyme

Me and my cannabis just happen to disagree with you and your cannabis, I suppose, BCM, good sir. What I happen to enjoy about My Problem Child is the angle it comes from. That is, the reason I can enjoy it even though it's not as polished and professionally-executed as what I'm used to listening to (aka things with ridiculously high production standards) is because it feels pretty funky, visceral, and organic in approach to me. It grooves and all that, which is to say it's both physically and cerebrally stimulating, which is one of the most basic and important differences between what I would think of as "braindance" and what I would think of as "generic IDM".

Yes, the mastering leaves things to be desired, but those things all strike me as a mere want of experience, which is an issue which is solved effectively by persistence. So, sneaksta303, keep on rockin' in the free world. 8)

Archived