IGNORED

Autechre interviews

Aefx

compare that rob interview to the sean one. rob just lays it all out there while sean makes a national security issue out of what software he used to cue up the tracks for their radio show. :rolleyes:

i mean, i think it's cool that they both have totally different temperments and that's probably a big part of why their music sounds as good as it does but, damn sean... just chill out a little bit on the 'top secret' tip. i know he doesn't want to de-mystify everything but honestly who really cares what software he used for that? not very important, really.

Moving away from Autechre, tell me more about your solo collaboration with Mika Vainio and Kouhei Matsunaga. Im surprised that either you or Rob don’t collaborate more.

We do sometimes, I mean I’ve done a few things with Aaron (Venetian Snares). Not doing it for any reason other than a laugh; just swapping files back and forth. We did a load of stuff with Zoviet France a few years ago, they’ve got the DATs, I still don’t have a copy of that. I’ve done half a track with Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher) which is pretty mad, where I’m trying to get him to play bass at 60bpm (laughs)

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuu

Moving away from Autechre, tell me more about your solo collaboration with Mika Vainio and Kouhei Matsunaga. Im surprised that either you or Rob don’t collaborate more.

We do sometimes, I mean I’ve done a few things with Aaron (Venetian Snares). Not doing it for any reason other than a laugh; just swapping files back and forth. We did a load of stuff with Zoviet France a few years ago, they’ve got the DATs, I still don’t have a copy of that. I’ve done half a track with Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher) which is pretty mad, where I’m trying to get him to play bass at 60bpm (laughs)

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuu

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

that snd album sean mentioned is mental...math idm. just be sure to have a large bottle of soda nearby

Is it Atavism?

yea, its quite jazz band in these parts actually

i met up with sean booth, one half of autechre (ae) and talked about everything from the duo's new album to horror films, even to what his mum's favorite sarny is innit.

so, how does oversteps compare to your previous records?

well, it's much better. we use a lot of melodies and wrote it on a kyma system MIDI'd up to some old roland drum machines we bought from moby. that bloke is a vegan, lol

would you say it's more emotional than, say, Quaristice?

nah

what was different about your work methods?

well, rob and i met back in 2001 and we've been working with pretty much the same equipment over in his dad's attic. so, this time around, we just did the same old shit. i usually make the beats and the melodies and he usually records it into his computer. then i master it and he plays about with his two kids. then i do the artwork.

under your alias TDR?

yeah, you've done yer research mate!

thanks! what records inspired this album?

ugh, i'd have to say "amber," "incunablua," "drukqs," all by autechre. and i guess mira calix, cuz she's my mate.

do you buy a lot of new records?

not really,...well, yeah, i by 'em off discogs a lot. i've got like every atom tm record. but mostly i buy mp3s off itunes. itunes is lush!

do you think it's possible to make music after 9/11?

nah

how do you cope with the trauma of war?

work on tracks, innit?

are you going to tour in america for this album?

no, just europe and mexico. mexico is fucking lush!

are you working on any new tracks at the moment?

yeah.

are they any good?

yeah. i've got one with this epic crescendo, like huge, fucking half hour crescendo. i'm calling it "bolero" by ravel.

ever read watmm?

yeah, i'm ET on there. lol

what else is going on in your life these days?

i'm making some kids with the missus, that's well lush. rob and i are doing yoga together too but with the distance we have to do it together on skype. nirvana is lush.

when's the next album coming out?

later this year, autumn prob. autumn is lush.

thanks for talking with me!

lush mate.

this one's from an italian magazine called "soundini" -- sorry for the bad translation"

In a world where home computers are becoming the norm and everyone and their grandmother creates algorythmic musical compositions in programs like Max and Facebook autechre struggle to maintain an edge by creating edgey music that not only walks the line between noise and music but takes that line, puts it through a comb filter, adds a break beat and puts it out on a little label called WARP (grizzly bear, battles, etc). i met up with rob brown, 1/3 of autechre, to talk about just what does it take to surrvive in today's economy.

please tells us all abouts Overtep, your new CD.

well, sean and i use Digital Performer for all our tracks so this time around we loaded it up with VSTs and took all these field recordings, from like, family vacations and stuff and just went super nuts mangling the samples...

mangles them how?

we used some wicked effects, like Reverse and changing the pitch. so like, the first track on the album ["Envane"] starts off with this low pitched barking sound -- that's actually a sample of a dog barking, pitched down. also reverb is on it, we LOVE reverb, especially the one's Alesis makes; he's a great reverb creator.

yes, A;esis is my brother

anyway, i do most of the computer stuff while sean booth handles the acoustic stuff and we have another dude who writes the music. we all just have a laugh, cum our pants, silk our sisters and annoint our membranes

sounds wicked

it is wicked yeah.

so, when are you going to release new albums?

probably

do you ever think of getting into producing? songs?

yes we have already done that, like, for some pretty famous people. i'm not going to name names but bustah rymes is one and j dilla, we did most of his beats. i have a new computer so i can finally expand my skills via email. hotmail is excellent for this

yes

in the past we were very competetive, usually we used our bmx bikes, screenshots from SOS magazine, old boss delay units, etc. but now that we're older there's a lot more stuff we can do, like for exampling we are too fast for our computers so everything we think about requires two computers each and brian eno

is he involved in a lot of your production?

yeah, he did several of our first albums":: "Discreet lOOPS" "Ambein" "live at Appolo" so we're indebted to him. when we first played our first video game ("little red hood") we were always already like, "yes, we've got to get into this business" and the music was a soo inspiring to me and him, sean.

what do you think of the apples ipad?

it's ace, we have got it to run max, msp, and so on. on our label, 12k, we have an album entirely done on ipad, it's called "IPOD" and it's released by Guescom -- which is us mostly.

is rob hall a dj?

totally

what's for the future?

eden. i know a lot of people are cynical because the big bosses and fat men are running the world to a halt and the ground but if you just buy the newest equipment from such sites as harmony central, best buy, eBay, etc it shouldn't be a problme. people have gotta man tracks in this age

part words?

stay healthy and give it a dick.

• Farnsworth 1