IGNORED

Autechre interviews

Aefx

Computers are just the cheapest way for people to make music now and it is going to kick off, it is going to fucking kick off. Next 10 years is going to be insane. The next few years there is going to be a really major upsurge because now it is not only kids that are into electronic music or dance music that are using computers it`s everyone. Anyone who is into music is getting one.

He was certainly bang on the mark about that one.

Great interview that, not read it before. Cheers for posting it.

also quite interesting part

De:Bug: What do you think about “marketing” ideas like this one thing that happend to you´re album long before it was out. Somebody posting your album tracks with the right names with completely false tracks of other people on Napster.

Sean: Wonder who that was?

De:Bug: You know the guy?

Sean: No, not personally. After Warp accepted the album I had a list of tracktitles that i posted on the net to a little newsgroup, an Autechre discussion list, to see what happens. And thats what happened. I`ve got so many of our livesets that I have napstered. I think that Napster is actually quite good. I am quite into it. I never bother to record anything that we do. And it is just wicked to just go on there and get all of our livesets. All the kids with minidiscs and stuff have archived them and put them up there. I fucking appreciate it. I don´t have any problem with it, it´s quite a good thing. I mean if they are selling them to each other, that stinks cause I am not into people making money off it. But if they are just trading and stuff it´s fucking well, it´s what I did when I was at school and did not have enough money to buy records. I just had tapes. What I`ve done is that I retitled some of the livesets with tracknames of our album and left them on Napster for a couple of months. But nobody downloaded them. I was quite disappointed. But the files were so massive. All really highbitrate as well. It is quite amusing that somebody else did it as well. And they were quite well known tracks wasn´t it? I quite like that. It´s probably someone I know.

De:Bug: Yeah. Seems like the one who did it said that he explicitly choose tracks that sound close to Autechre, and that people liking Autechre should know. But nobody seemed to identify them.

Sean: So a lot of people think they have the album when they haven´t got it at all. Thats quite clever. Who did it then? Probably the label. I can imagine Warp doing something like that, they are pretty sneaky.

De:Bug: They said they didn´t. They wanted to do something similar though.

Sean: Same thing for me. But it did not work. With Napster you really got to be online all of the time to have people downloading stuff from you. And I could not be bothered to find somebody who is, because then it would have been their total responsiblitiy, wich would not have been nice. Loads of musicians use Napster to hype their own stuff anyway. Fucking mad. Its like: Oh well, I`ve got these slightly less good remixes of my stuff so I put them on Napster first so that people think they have my new single before I release my actual new single wich is better cause it´s got more edits in it and a few more DSP eccentries, bonus bits, it´s like this old hiphop thing of buying a remix 12″ with a couple of extra little edits in it. Got too much to do though. Too much music to make.

Sean: Yes, I can download it later. Can´t wait to get home and look what has been uploaded. Audio Galaxy is getting pretty healthy as well. It is probably better for weird music, because as soon as the news came out about Napster all the weirder stuff came up on Audio Galaxy.

:sad:

god, i loved audiogalaxy

Edited by kaini

Someone should plug all the quotes about various albums into the albums wiki pages. There are some good nuggets in these interviews

"It gets more cohesive and succinct. That's obviously been framed by interaction with the crowd. Things were occurring in more concise positions, and we'd learned how to get the most out of each bit before we moved onto the next one, in shorter time."

"We were left with the residue of two years of influence and input and development, and then we could be completely self-indulgent in the studio. But it felt like we were making something really sharp."

(On how the crowds at gigs influenced the source material for Quaristice)

"Apperciation of music is instinct, it's innate," asserts Booth."You know what a large metallic changing sound represents probably at the age if six months, Whether it's in tune or the production sounds sweet. it's all innate. That's become more and more interesting to me."

Getting into music psychology territory. Interestingly about 6 years ago it was listening to AE that started me thinking along the lines of musical psychology in relation to evolution and culture. Although its hard to find material on this! Also mentioned are ideas of music in relation to memory recall and what would happen if this ability is not present (Ae mention drugs, but there are other ways of achieving temporary tabula rasa mindstates). You normally get shouted down for discussing shit like this so it's cool to find snippets in this interview. :braindance:

and a druggy misquote for fun:

there are moments when we're both on X, and that's when it really works. We try to catch those apexes.

Right enough bs for one day :cisfor:

Someone should plug all the quotes about various albums into the albums wiki pages. There are some good nuggets in these interviews

"It gets more cohesive and succinct. That's obviously been framed by interaction with the crowd. Things were occurring in more concise positions, and we'd learned how to get the most out of each bit before we moved onto the next one, in shorter time."

"We were left with the residue of two years of influence and input and development, and then we could be completely self-indulgent in the studio. But it felt like we were making something really sharp."

(On how the crowds at gigs influenced the source material for Quaristice)

"Apperciation of music is instinct, it's innate," asserts Booth."You know what a large metallic changing sound represents probably at the age if six months, Whether it's in tune or the production sounds sweet. it's all innate. That's become more and more interesting to me."

Getting into music psychology territory. Interestingly about 6 years ago it was listening to AE that started me thinking along the lines of musical psychology in relation to evolution and culture. Although its hard to find material on this! Also mentioned are ideas of music in relation to memory recall and what would happen if this ability is not present (Ae mention drugs, but there are other ways of achieving temporary tabula rasa mindstates). You normally get shouted down for discussing shit like this so it's cool to find snippets in this interview. :braindance:

and a druggy misquote for fun:

there are moments when we're both on X, and that's when it really works. We try to catch those apexes.

Right enough bs for one day :cisfor:

if you want an ae wiki, message this guy: http://autechre.wetpaint.com/

he is the heir of 'the words of autechre', a previous wiki i contributed to here or there.

i would hope that an expansion of scope would be easy and have many willing contributors maybe.

Oh I was more thinking of thehauntingsoul or mesh gear fox or that chap with the sweater avatar or some of the other young uns full o beans around here. I am waaay too web 1.0 to do anything productive. :gamer:

From www.jameshyman.com/blog/archives/MTVDanceLibrary.doc

PZ/0243 Party Zone with Autechre - Digital Master

This is an MTV interview from about August-September 1994 - I saw it when broadcast, don't remember much about it apart from Sean and Rob talking about their upcoming Gescom project (this is a few months before the first Skam release) and also that they were wearing unfeasibly baggy trousers.

• 1 month later...

Just made english navigation to main pages on my site - http://autechre.net.ua/en/news.htm . Need to know do I need to develop english version further. Does anybody interested in it? It's not pretend to be 'aepages' - just small all-in-one-place web 1.0 site. I will be very thankful for any remarks and bits of interesting information.

Just made english navigation to main pages on my site - http://autechre.net.ua/en/news.htm . Need to know do I need to develop english version further. Does anybody interested in it? It's not pretend to be 'aepages' - just small all-in-one-place web 1.0 site. I will be very thankful for any remarks and bits of interesting information.

Oh, this is your site?! Much appreciated! Good Work.

• 4 weeks later...