Autechre interviews

14 hours ago, mFing said:

I got a bit confused about the SIGN / SOPHIE remix / Ableton connection. Suspect Google translate has mangled that a bit, but did anyone feel they understood that part?

sean had mentioned something about it in one of the mixlr events last spring/summer. they were porting some of their max patches to ableton/max4live because they had been asked to do a bunch of remixes but weren't set up for it. from the sounds of it they did all that work to port things but in the end the decided to pitch shift everything down an octave and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2020 was positive for Autechre. A sentence that does not fit many artists in the crisis year. With SIGN and PLUS, Sean Booth and Rob Brown released two albums on their house and farm label Warp. The f

That Humo thing’s full of misquotes. Some of it’s prob just translation errors, or him not understanding the accent or getting words wrong but some is straight up not what we said at all and totally m

Ok just this once, your headphones are called Derek Yeah it’s *mildly* annoying but at least it was mostly about other peoples music this time I’m outta this thread now but cheers Ivan, hi Jaderpans

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

sean had mentioned something about it in one of the mixlr events last spring/summer. they were porting some of their max patches to ableton/max4live because they had been asked to do a bunch of remixes but weren't set up for it. from the sounds of it they did all that work to port things but in the end the decided to pitch shift everything down an octave and call it a day.

But, then, did they proceed to use Ableton when making SIGN? It appears that's why Sean brought it up, and that's what the text seems to imply, and I'm, in turn, inferring that he's suggesting that had an impact on how they approached working on the material? But, then, other statements about how it came together don't suggest this...

Every time they mention the early days (and they do that in every fakn interview) oxygen leaves my brain and narcolepsy kicks in! That’s  why i must read their interviews sitting securely.

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, xox said:

Every time they mention the early days (and they do that in every fakn interview) oxygen leaves my brain and narcolepsy kicks in! That’s  why i must read their interviews sitting securely.

I've enjoyed reading about the "early days" a lot over the years. I feel like it's pretty well-trod territory now, though, although this interview did seem to shed more light on some of it. The family support, I got a kick out of. I kind of didn't expect that because of the sort of chip-on-shoulder-ish attitude that you can pick up on a bit in their 90s interviews, but, at the same time, I also suspect there was a kind of tongue-in-cheek quality in that early gruffness there that just doesn't come through in print.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, ignatius said:

RB: They sit on hot coals, they need experiences.

SB: I can partly sympathize with that, but I don't approve of it.

absolutely dude 100 percent