IGNORED

EP7 Appreciation

six

This album is brilliant. I still feel like Maphive is completely underrated, or undermentioned or something.

Also in my eyes the only repetitive thing about Outpt is the beat, I don't find it boring and repetitive in the same way I find drum and bass boring and repetitive. It's like the beauty's in the simplicity and subtlety of the tune. It wouldn't be the same if the beat wasn't so repetitive, it'd be worse. I love Outpt.

Also I'm sick of writing repetitive.

• Like 1

• 12 years later...
On 12/26/2007 at 2:54 PM, Blir said:

This album

I wonder how they determine which of their releases get the "EP" title, seeing as they're all albums, often longer than standard ones.  It's been a while since I last listened, but I'm pretty sure it overshadows LP5 by a fair bit too.

17 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I wonder how they determine which of their releases get the "EP" title, seeing as they're all albums, often longer than standard ones.  It's been a while since I last listened, but I'm pretty sure it overshadows LP5 by a fair bit too.

iiRC it was first released as 2 separate EPs (7.1 and 7.2), which were in turn melved together for the CD and digital vinlys releases.  Besides, the terms extanded play and long play are antiquated even for norman music

Also, the only thing that overshadows LP5 is the pile of bodies I stack of fools talking shit about it!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The bonus tracks link LP5 and EP7 obviously together. EP7 starts where LP5 ended,

And I like how different the two end: LP5 on with pathos with the triumphant Drane2 (bonus track beside), EP7 somber and poetically tormented with Pir. Masterpieces both.

took me a while to appreciate this one. for a long time i found myself appreciating single tracks here or there, but never the whole package. Now of course I came to the conclusion that the entire thing completely slaps.

In my mind I still unconsciously compare it to LP5 (my absolute fav AE project), probably because of the similar naming convention and because they came out around the same time. But they're very different in terms of sound

3 hours ago, AnwarAutokino said:

took me a while to appreciate this one. for a long time i found myself appreciating single tracks here or there, but never the whole package. Now of course I came to the conclusion that the entire thing completely slaps.

In my mind I still unconsciously compare it to LP5 (my absolute fav AE project), probably because of the similar naming convention and because they came out around the same time. But they're very different in terms of sound

LP5 isn't the album's official title, actually. 

EP7 is good but it's definitely a bit of a b-sides type collection. not a bad thing at all of course, but does feel a bit disjointed. lots of really good tracks nonetheless obv. listened to it so much back when that it almost feels redundant when i put it on these days tho

45 minutes ago, auxien said:

LP5 isn't the album's official title, actually. 

EP7 is good but it's definitely a bit of a b-sides type collection. not a bad thing at all of course, but does feel a bit disjointed. lots of really good tracks nonetheless obv. listened to it so much back when that it almost feels redundant when i put it on these days tho

What is the definition for a "b-side collection" for EP7 being definitely one?

I don't feel it disjointed either. Or not more than any other Autechre record. I think it has a very good flow and a clear and own sonic landscape. 

17 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

iiRC it was first released as 2 separate EPs (7.1 and 7.2), which were in turn melved together for the CD and digital vinlys releases.  Besides, the terms extanded play and long play are antiquated even for norman music

Also, the only thing that overshadows LP5 is the pile of bodies I stack of fools talking shit about it!

I like melve as a verb. Bravo.

11 hours ago, Chabraendeky said:

What is the definition for a "b-side collection" for EP7 being definitely one?

I don't feel it disjointed either. Or not more than any other Autechre record. I think it has a very good flow and a clear and own sonic landscape. 

hm, i'm probably totally wrong on EP7 being a b-sides thing. it always felt that way to me, but honestly cannot remember if there's any basis in fact for that in my head (so there very well may be nothing that made me think it) but maybe there's some info in AAA or older interviews, idk. probably just because it always felt that way to me i sorta just assume it actually is (i'm weird sorry)

but on that point it does feel a bit disjointed to me. so it is separated out into two EPs of course but just some of the flow doesn't really track for me, personally. production styles and sounds and just feels they're going for doesn't seem to register any thread or narrative to me like most of their albums do. some of the tracks do flow and work together, for sure, but overall it feels a little all over to me. still enjoy all the tracks on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auxien said:

hm, i'm probably totally wrong on EP7 being a b-sides thing. it always felt that way to me, but honestly cannot remember if there's any basis in fact for that in my head (so there very well may be nothing that made me think it) but maybe there's some info in AAA or older interviews, idk. probably just because it always felt that way to me i sorta just assume it actually is (i'm weird sorry)

but on that point it does feel a bit disjointed to me. so it is separated out into two EPs of course but just some of the flow doesn't really track for me, personally. production styles and sounds and just feels they're going for doesn't seem to register any thread or narrative to me like most of their albums do. some of the tracks do flow and work together, for sure, but overall it feels a little all over to me. still enjoy all the tracks on it.

Thanks for the explanation!

For me the flow is very obvious.

It starts beat-heavy with a strong hip-hop vibe. Then introduces more and more melodic elements and culminates with a strong build-up of tracks in a memorable finale. So the narrative for me is very similar to that of LP5.

9 hours ago, auxien said:

also, just an excuse to post this live version chill remix of Ccec that i adore with all my heart 

Ya, unthinkable this would've probably been lost forever if it wasn't for that bootleg. You sure it's supposed to be a remix tho? The original Ccec is following that track in the same set... If anything the beat reminds somewhat me of Zeiss Contarex.

On 12/26/2007 at 11:54 PM, Blir said:

I love Outpt.

Tis the jam yo. More top shelf: Squeller, Left Blank, Zeiss and Netlon, followed by the rest.

EP7 is among my favourite autechres. But so are most autechres so...depends on the day.

One little thing I love specifically: in Zeiss Contarex, after the melody plays hide and seek all through the build, just as they give you the melody in all its glory the rug for one go round, then pull the rig from under you. Like Coop in Twin Peaks 3. Love that tune.

Also I didn't know about this Coachella bootleg, grabbing it now - thanks!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

Ya, unthinkable this would've probably been lost forever if it wasn't for that bootleg. You sure it's supposed to be a remix tho? The original Ccec is following that track in the same set... If anything the beat reminds somewhat me of Zeiss Contarex.

can’t say it’s a remix for sure, no. drum beat/sounds are similar and the keyboard tones and sorta feel aren’t far away from the ones that show up in Ccec...but I’m mostly just assuming it’s an alternate take on some of the same ideas. sean & rob could answer this of course... ....   ....  .  .   .