IGNORED

Not giving much of a shit

Lianne

it's all relative you fucks. every generation hates new music that they didn't grow up with.

saying that nothing innovative will ever come out of music again is about the stupidest thing i've ever heard, and it sounds incredibly pretentious. as if after hearing confield or rdj album the musical geniuses of our day say "well fuck it i can never make anything as creative as this, might as well stop playing piano/drums/guitar/808s/music." when has this ever been the case?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Calx Sherbet

I may be in the minority, but I love what Squarepusher has done with his last couple releases (especially Just a Souvenir) in terms of expanding the limits of what you can do within "idm", pop and rock music. The mind-blowing musicianship is always there along with the melodies, I consider what he is doing the modern-day prog (in a good way). In no way would I consider it lazy!

I haven't really liked the last couple Squarepusher releases but I agree with your point. I think my personal tastes have begun to slowly shift from pushing things weirder and crazier to embracing the past and putting a new spin on it in a non-ironic way.

exactly. we can't just keep getting music crazier and crazier. when everything is extreme, then nothing is extreme

well, richard did say the released stuff isn't as good as the stuff he doesn't share. it's not as special to him

And if you believe that, I've got a small monument in New York City I'd like to sell you...

well, richard did say the released stuff isn't as good as the stuff he doesn't share. it's not as special to him

IMO that's another one of his yarns. sure, he has unreleased tracks, but I doubt any of them would be better than say...acrid avid or 4

Yes - of COURSE he's going to say something like that - he wants to keep the fans hungry. He knows how to market himself.

Guest Calx Sherbet

i think it's pretty believable that he has some very personal songs. sorry if that sounds like bullshit, i'm just saying that could be true.

the reason they don't care about anything is because they are probably tired of it. imagine the attention they've gotten over the years. apathy would set in very quickly

Who are some of these artists pushing irony and insincerity above all else? I've been listening to a lot of new music, but haven't actually noticed much of this phenomena that I keep hearing about. This could be because any time I start listening to one of those artists I stop before I have time to hear a full song. Listening to T-Pain or whoever for the sake of irony sort of makes sense... much of mainstream pop music has become so absurd that it is almost intriguing because it's so tacky. It goes hand in hand with spending hours in front of youtube watching people being retarded for laughs --we all do it. It's fascinating, and a little bit sad, to think that some of those artists are literally heroes to a large portion of a new generation. Strange times we're living in for sure. But I've probably discovered more interesting, genuine sounding music within the last three years than at any other time in my life, so I don't entirely share the sentiment of this thread. That and there's so much old music that i haven't had time to fully appreciate, so I'm not that anxious about hearing something totally innovative and original just yet. There's a lot of originality out there, but it comes in small doses --there are usually aspects of artists I'm listening to that are original, but it's a combination of that plus borrowing good aspects of artists from the past that make it as good as it is. There was a lot of originality in much of Aphex Twin's work, but he was obviously influenced heavily by techno, hip hop, d&b etc.. Innovation is something that tends to happen gradually, and there might be a few key artists who help speed things along. If you're waiting for one artist to completely revolutionize music all on their own, you're probably going to be waiting a while. But if you stopped listening to music today and resumed your listening ten years from now, you'd probably be dumbstruck by how different everything sounds. Musical evolution occurs ridiculously fast these days along with everything else. It used to be that evolution of styles in music would take more than 50 years. Artists of the day would spend decades perfecting whatever style they were composing in. I think the whole throw back to earlier eras thing is a positive thing because due to the accelerated evolution of music in the last century, there is much within each genre that has gone unexplored in terms of composition and musicality --you can do that without changing the whole concept of the genre itself, and certainly there are artists active today doing just that. In any case, I could spend the next 10 years listening to great music that's already been made and I wouldn't get halfway through it all. Of course, I'm as eager to hear something startlingly new as anyone else on here. That's one of the great things about this board. Typically if there is something great out there that should be heard, someone here is going to be talking about it. So thank you watmms for assisting me in my quest for finding more good music. :ok:

Lianne I said it in the last post you made of this nature:

You're a fucking tool/moron/dumbass/etc.

Open your fucking eyes. There's enough good shit out there to choke Jabba the Hutt. Recent shit too. Just stfu and do some research before you make a stupid fucking thread like this. Nothing personal, just stop.

Guest Lube Saibot

People. PLEASE. It's LUBE saibot. It's not that i have a personal attachment to lube but it's like the fifth time someone sees 'lube' and reads 'luke'.

Idm or whatever the fuck its called, will never die because of the ever evolving tools used to create it. the problem with electronic music : the gimmicks

I think one of the major culprits in all of this is the music technology. It has become very easy to create decent/good sounding stuff. Anyone can download a single program with a ton of presets, and bang something out that sounds somewhat well produced. This is a rather new phenomena. I think in the earlier days, it was the people that were truly obsessed with/in love with the idea of electronic music, that would take the time to learn and master their gear. It took a lot of effort... it was esoteric, and often counter intuitive. But now it's easy to get decent results, so many more people are making things... and I think that if you approach the tools without a sense of wonder and excitement, and more with the mindset of merely producing an established sound, you more often than not, will fall flat with your end result.

And sure, that's a generalization... but in general, I think it's a major factor.

On the one hand, though, it can be good... as you make certain things easier, it gives you room to explore new directions with older techniques. One could argue that you could focus more on emoting, than producing... so you will have maybe less impressive works, but the potential to have very emotional works. The fine line, is that a lot of electronic music has been about embracing the new.... like someone said, it can get gimmicky.

But the hope is that the technology is still growing, and as more people are interested, the more new ideas can be formulated... more techniques, better control, new concepts.... there will always be people pushing the limits of current technology. They are usually harder to find though... and that ties in with the popularizing of a genre... the more people make this music, the more there is to sift through.... record labels used to act as that quality control, but that model is being thrown out the window, so a lot of it is on the listener/consumer to seek out the music they desire. There is still a lot of shaky territory in the music industry that we will have to go through... and who knows where it will lead us.

Another thing I will say, is that the desire to be cutting edge, as someone said earlier, can be very harmful for everyone. I kind of think about the 12 tone movement of the early 20th century... composers were SO caught up on finding the most complex systems and academic level compositions, that they actually KILLED concert music, in my opinion. The public started becoming disconnected. Sure, there were always the classics, but the current composers were offering nothing new that the public could digest, and thus the trend of concert music diminished drastically. Fast forward to the 60s/70s, and the minimalist composers reacted against this trend, and made accessible concert music with a modern flair... and there was a resurgence in the general publics acceptance/enjoyment of concert music. Imagine this paralleled with electronic music. You can only push things so far, before people will start feeling alienated. Then sometime later, people will use these techniques in a simpler, but modernly relevant way, and gain recognition for it... all the while, the people who been attempting to push the boundaries will be crying that its too simple, and that they aren't the real innovators... but ... who cares? Music is about enjoyment.

So expect to hear lots of "IDM" influenced pop music for the rest of your life. Those ideas are no longer "ours" they are put out there for the world to adopt and transform.... what we have grasped onto is a moment in history and evolution. Life ALWAYS moves forward. Always, in all realms. Like they say, remember the past, but don't live in it.

/rant

good point there. as to me i think that it could tend to get ridiculous to wait 10 years for THE next best idm album every now and then. what makes a really good artist is simply his ability to impress others and to impress himself, thats the key,just find a way to impress yourself! and most of all....have fun

not like IDM with vocals... but the techniques and subtle flavors will be there. Take BTs song sonambullshit. super dance floor friendly, and glitches up the ass

[youtubehd]_iFizEkfEAQ[/youtubehd]

I hate scenes. I think it would be good if "IDM" went away. Then we could start thinking originally and not care how something fits in its designated box. I'm not worried about the tools allowing people access, cause powerful tools have been available for a long time. Longer than many people seem to remember and the music hasn't gotten much better or more inventive.

Guest Sumguy21

People take IDM seriously?

So much is geared toward the dance floor, it seems like often it's more "fun" than "serious." That's not to say there aren't incredible sincere releases, but stuff like We Hear You never claimed to be serious, deep, emotional stuff.

Archived