IGNORED

Are Luke (or afx or squarepusher) employed?

Guest Vlue

Guest hahathhat

Vibert has kids and he's said he has to keep DJing and writing music to buy them shoes. That lead me to believe he makes a decent living off of music, but not enough to retire anytime soon.

£20,000 per hour for playing mp3s in Traktor at a room full of people

i like how you said "AT a room full of people" as opposed to "FOR a room full of people." really makes the relationship crystal clear

but, yeah, that's more aphex than vibert. vibert still releases albums regularly, in addition to DJing.

• 2 weeks later...

i bet they made a decent income for a few years in their heyday, then invested it in stocks and bonds, and retired in their 30s

also probably real estate investments, RDJ mentioned in an interview the bank that he bought had actually doubled for what he got for

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Otto Krat

i bet they made a decent income for a few years in their heyday, then invested it in stocks and bonds, and retired in their 30s

also probably real estate investments, RDJ mentioned in an interview the bank that he bought had actually doubled for what he got for

read the rules

• 3 weeks later...

Odd question...

I guess it depends on what you'd definae as "making a living".. For some that may mean owning a house, car, dog etc. For some that might just be cash to pay the rent n bills and keep food in the fridge.

If you gigged regularly enough, and was a high enough profile that you could charge say £500 for a show, then it would be pretty easy to keep the rent paid and the belly full. 2 or 3 gigs a month and you'd be earning more than many full time workers.

I heard Snares charges about 1000 for a show, more than enough for a reletively comfortable life style, and thats not including festival appearances which probably pay much more.

Someone linked the classic breakdown of a high production value, commercial release. But I thing that it's pretty irrelivant, spending 200 k to record an album is a daft figure when related to this type of music. Aphex wouldnt need to spend nearly that much to make an album unless he planned to destroy and replace half of his kit every time. No mix engineers or producers to hire and pay. That much cash would be waaayy more than is needed to do a massive physical release in this genre, from start to finish..

Honestly that article made me kinda mad, I bet they show that to school kids as a persuasion NOT to persue a dream of making music, and to convince them its a much better idea to go into banking or something equally as souless. Not to mention that it is all bassed around a very old fasioned model of "the music industry"

I know a bunch of people who manage to keep themselves alive with just music, so they might not have fkn platinum knob chains and sports cars falling out of their ass. But they make the same money as I do working my shitty 9 to 5

Guest bilbo

I know this was really meant to be about vibert, but what about BOC?

They can’t honestly make that much money from record sales alone surely?

They must have something to supplement their “musical” income. Or even if they didn’t need to make any more cash, they must do something else with their time.

Archived