IGNORED

Wisp Does Burial?

Guest Helper ET

Guest Helper ET

hi. so i was spinning the shimmering hour the other day, when a song called flat rock came on. it struck me as odd that the little beat sounds like burial, like, really burialy. listen to the attached file below

are lots of people making rhythms like that? cause i thought it was just burial making beats like that, now i hear wisp doing it, im thinking i might start making beats like that too :sorcerer:

wispdoesburial.mp3

and then there is this fake Cockney idiot, one of the bigger pop stars in England since the start of this decade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTS6INVmZGI

in short most 11 year old girls in the country were listening to beats not disimilar to burial in 1999

Guest Glass Plate

in answer to your question "are lots of people making rhythms like that?"

in England this was number 1 in the charts 10 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOc_G6iwf9Y

lol wow, that sounds just like Burial before the final sprinkling of reverb and a few extra pitch bends. (and gun shot clicks I guess)

Also, that's a lot better than what hits #1 in u.s. these days. (not much though)

Guest Helper ET

lol. i could hardly hear burial in that...funny how we are so much the opposite on this matter. that song/video made me laugh and i was watching it for fun, and then i was like this fuckin cool.

the second video you posted was a bit more burial, i think i see why you showed it to me.

unfortunetly this doesnt close the case yet. im not convinced...those examples werent close enough for me. does anyone else but ludd think that wisp sample sounds like burial?

ludd.

i can actually see where your coming from ET, and maybe "that sounds nothing like burial whatsoever" was a bit dramatic, but i have never listened to flat rock and thought... ooh this sounds particularly like burial. with those two videos i was trying to point out that burials rhythms are essentially extensions of the 2 step shuffles of the UK garage scene (which had become the pop music mainstream in Britain circa 1999/2000) and that burial is not something entirely new and original (as brilliant as i consider him to be).

and that burial is not something entirely new and original (as brilliant as i consider him to be).

just out of curiosity, what, IN YOUR OPINION, makes Burial "brilliant" and not "meh"?

the music he releases

and that burial is not something entirely new and original (as brilliant as i consider him to be).

just out of curiosity, what, IN YOUR OPINION, makes Burial "brilliant" and not "meh"?

the music he releases

no really what about it? Personally I think it's OK, but not brilliant.

lol. i could hardly hear burial in that...funny how we are so much the opposite on this matter. that song/video made me laugh and i was watching it for fun, and then i was like this fuckin cool.

the second video you posted was a bit more burial, i think i see why you showed it to me.

unfortunetly this doesnt close the case yet. im not convinced...those examples werent close enough for me. does anyone else but ludd think that wisp sample sounds like burial?

ludd.

try doing some research on garage music

having not heard any of the samples posted in this thread, a burial beat is what... something really loosely arranged, and swinged out to fuck?

a really shuffled garage drum beat, well in burials case it's band-passed like a mother fucker and put through a lot of reverb usually with the inclusion of a heavily autotuned recognizable vocal sample on top

wtf....this track barely even sounds like UKG or anything that stemmed from it. i can sort of see an influence but there isnt really a lot else to make a comparison. burial's beats are an ode to uk garage from around 2000 (theyre already calling it 'old skool', sigh). check out some mj cole, horsepower, el-b, zed bias etc

im guessing you've only ever really listened to teh idmz and not many other styles of dance music?

Archived